T-45 power threshold?

mac81691

Anyone know what the power threshold for a stock T-45 transmission is? This is assuming the use of an aftermarket high torq clutch such as a spec 2+ or 3 rated at around 600+ ft lbs. Should I be concerned about the 10 spine input as the week point much like it is on the T56? Can you put a 26 spline shaft on a T45? If so, does this matter much? I’m trying to decide if I should rebuild/keep T-45 or do a T-56 conversion that is looking like a pain to do and very costly. Currently I’m at 415 rwhp on a vortec’d #8 non-intercooled 1996 Cobra with aspirations of putting down 600+ rwhp in future. Thanks for your insight!

chao5.0

Established Member
promotion also builds them but parts have been discontinued for the trans so who knows what these companies are doing now

chao5.0

Established Member
Pretty much which is why you see companies pushing the TR3650 so much, parts for the T45 getting harder to get. Maybe that has changed but I doubt it unless someone starts making their own, besides most owners are swapping to 6 speeds anyway.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Stan at Pro Force Performance in Atlanta bought out the t45/3650 source. Get your parts from him. 26 spline and billet forks and a clean set of gears=600 or so.

And whoever said put a tko in it...have you ever driven a tko? **** the tko.

Other option is a 3650 which is an easy swap. That needs to be redone too with all the TSBs accomolhised tho.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Anyone know what the power threshold for a stock T-45 transmission is? This is assuming the use of an aftermarket high torq clutch such as a spec 2+ or 3 rated at around 600+ ft lbs. Should I be concerned about the 10 spine input as the week point much like it is on the T56? Can you put a 26 spline shaft on a T45? If so, does this matter much? I’m trying to decide if I should rebuild/keep T-45 or do a T-56 conversion that is looking like a pain to do and very costly. Currently I’m at 415 rwhp on a vortec’d #8 non-intercooled 1996 Cobra with aspirations of putting down 600+ rwhp in future. Thanks for your insight!
Depending how you drive the car your already on borrowered time. Your gonna need to get the trans built or step up to a tko 600 or t56 swap. Cheapest route will be to have the t45 built but expect delays getting it rebuilt.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
That means that whoever "built" it didn't replace the 5/R slider with the updated unit...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Can always order parts and follow the step by step shop manual?
Depending how you drive the car your already on borrowered time. Your gonna need to get the trans built or step up to a tko 600 or t56 swap. Cheapest route will be to have the t45 built but expect delays getting it rebuilt.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Can always order parts and follow the step by step shop manual?

Correct. But you'll need the proper tools. Along with feeling confident enough to do it. If you have that then by all means go for it. Most do not have the proper tools and or experience to tackle a trans rebuild.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I’ve had a TKO in my 98 Cobra for years and love it! Bullet proof and virtually indestructible.

And shift like a box of rocks. There is a reason there are "fixes" out there for them and that still doesn't get them anywhere near a good t45 or 3650 as far as ability to shift at high RPM or even smoothly... I had one in a 95 Cobra for years, it was going to come out and be replaced with literally anything else if I had kept that car. Lockouts in 2nd and 3rd and just sucked. I can slam 2nd and 3rd on a bone stock 2000 T45 at 7200rpm, I couldn't even shift like that at 5800 with a TKO...

Correct. But you'll need the proper tools. Along with feeling confident enough to do it. If you have that then by all means go for it. Most do not have the proper tools and or experience to tackle a trans rebuild.

True, but if you are someone like me where it would cost as much in shipping as the transmission to get out here vs just getting a gearset and tools shipped or you just want to learn something new and can follow instructions its a good deal. Especially if you race at the track and might need to redo the trans a lot more often than ppl who just street drive.

mlackke

Established Member
Stan at Pro Force Performance in Atlanta bought out the t45/3650 source. Get your parts from him. 26 spline and billet forks and a clean set of gears=600 or so.
So T-45 replacement options would be:

So pro-forceperformance.com Pro-Force PRO T-45 package for (assuming 500-600ft/lbs) is 2050$

TKO-600 for 2700$

T-56 Magnum 3500$

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I'd just go with the 3650 with the 26 spline shaft for $1750... With the Cobra crossmember you might not even need the Stiffler's crossmember that the 96-98 GTs need to do the swap since its further back.

You'd need a new shifter which you can make cost neutral by selling your old one and getting a 3650 one used for the same price, change the reverse sensor from the T45 to the 3650 and then you calibrate the VSS speedo pickup in the 96-98 cars to OSS in the 99-up cars with an older Dallas Speedcal which was the extended range unit or you can also do it with the Ford Speedcal. Just be aware if you do this the new Dallas Speedcals aren't extended range anymore and won't work but the Ford one does. Its very easy tho. I put a 3650 in my 98 Cobra when the T45 shit the bed and it was great. 3650 with all the TSBs done (which pro force does) shifts like butter, retains that nice 3.37 1st gear, you can get a .62 or even deeper overdrive if you want, and they are strong AF.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
True, but if you are someone like me where it would cost as much in shipping as the transmission to get out here vs just getting a gearset and tools shipped or you just want to learn something new and can follow instructions its a good deal. Especially if you race at the track and might need to redo the trans a lot more often than ppl who just street drive.
You're missing an important point, Scotty, that not everyone has the expertise/skill/mechanical ability to tackle a transmission rebuild, even following a manual. Which is why a majority of those with a re-built/built transmission had a shop do the work. So yeah, it CAN be done in your garage, but in reality it's a job best left to a good transmission shop. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread