Switching to K&N intake caused stalling (long read)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
This may be a flashback to 2005 or 2006, but wanted to share something interesting that there does not seem to be all too much info out there about. A lot of info does come up about “the stall” and how it is inherent with the first couple of factory pcm flashes, and that there was a tsb about it, and how it was resolved.

But not too much seems to come up about how changing only the intake might cause it to happen…

Both my cobras have been pullied and tuned for several years as daily drivers with no
problems. They were both tuned with an original PHP airbox (not the “steela” lol).

Last October (for CA smog reasons), I installed a K&N FIPK because it comes with a CARB EO#. No other changes were made from how the car was tuned.

Well, after a couple of months the car began randomly stalling upon deceleration. It was usually early in the morning after steady state cruising. It actually only stalled on me about 6 times, but you could tell that the rpms wanted to drop whenever decelerating to a stop out of gear. I got used to trying to work around it by keeping the Rs up with the pedal, but it did put me into a dangerous traffic situation on at least one occasion…

Anyway, my searches found that most of the people who posted about this issue had cars that were already modded with the updated TSB flash tune in their tune, so their stalling issue would not have been due to the early 2003 factory flash. But I noticed that most seemed to have either the K&N rai, or the JLP cai. Unfortunately, some guys posted that this was just a problem inherent with Cobra’s and to try to live with it.

So, two weeks ago I put my PHP back on. I could immediately tell from the way the car was behaving that this was no longer a problem. The rpm’s do not try to dip on decel. It is now back to the steady-as-a-rock idle it's had for all these years.

This was surprising to me because I thought that anything “before” the sensor really did not matter on a MAF system. I am not saying anything bad about the K&N because I think they make a good product, but I do think that the intake the car was tuned with should probably be kept in order to avoid any problems.

FWIW :beer:

NastyNate420

Established Member
I had an Issue when I bought my mach stalling when coming to a stop when coasting(has kn intake).
Ford changed the TPS and IAC and that did nothing. I did some research and realized I was missing the MAF screen. I put one in and Ive never had a problem since. Helps to straighten out the air for a more accurate counts.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I've always heard when you change an intake to have the tune checked. Because of the maf. Whether it's been moved or more air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I had an Issue when I bought my mach stalling when coming to a stop when coasting(has kn intake).
Ford changed the TPS and IAC and that did nothing. I did some research and realized I was missing the MAF screen. I put one in and Ive never had a problem since. Helps to straighten out the air for a more accurate counts.

interesting. i did not try to utilize the factory screen with the K&N. i am not sure if it can fit on there but it would be interesting if that would have solved my stalling issue.

my php does not use the screen.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
interesting. i did not try to utilize the factory screen with the K&N. i am not sure if it can fit on there but it would be interesting if that would have solved my stalling issue. my php does not use the screen.
It may be worth a try as I have heard of others having the same problem and it was what I was going to suggest after reading your problem.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Same K&N on mine, no screen, no stall. Upper pulley only car that was tuned by VMP remotely.
8 years ago.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Switching to K&N intake caused stalling (long read)

Same K&N on mine, no screen, no stall. Upper pulley only car that was tuned by VMP remotely.
8 years ago.

I have that intake too and upper pulley. I as well don't have the stalling issue. I even had it retuned when I bought my Cobra for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread