Sweet!

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
I was hoping we'd get a forum titled like this at some point!

Now I have a place to post my autocross times and such :thumbsup:

Woohoo!! First to post in one of the two new forums :-D

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
The last time I did this I came in 2nd. I went through 7K miles worth the rubber in 2 hours. It was fun but mama told me I couldn't do it anymore (she threatened to cut off my tire money). I wish I had taped it as I spent the better part of the time sideways with smoke rolling on the turns. I love doing a 5K 90'
powerslide around a corner but really can't afford the rubber. I left so much on the ground that the company that was letting us use their parking lot kicked us off for a month. I reckon I'll stick to drag racing instead.

wrcRS

Established Member
Right on! I love watching drag racing but im not all to quick at the light. I finally finished my first year of autox and had a blast. I love beating cars that cost 4-5 times more than my little focus. I finished second to a Triumph TR6 with race rubber on his car. Not bad for a car on street tires.

mx_9

Established Member
I've yet to see a blown Cobra do an AutoX. Definitely an exercise in throttle control. I've seen people run SRT-10 Vipers and do relatively well so it would be good to see some of you compete.

2K3Z06

Established Member
The only one i saw, spun backwards and threw the blower belt on the 2nd run. Not too good..... Major understeer.

Robert Lewis
2004 SCCA Solo2 Regional Champion

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
2K3Z06 said:
The only one i saw, spun backwards and threw the blower belt on the 2nd run. Not too good..... Major understeer.

Robert Lewis
2004 SCCA Solo2 Regional Champion

That's strange. I have never heard of one throwing a blower belt at all. Maybe it happens more than I know, but never recall hearing of this.

My car is a 2003 Cobra, and it has run like a top mechanically. I won the ESP title for my region, but no STI's or Evo's or f-bodies for that matter, battling with me, so take the result with a grain (maybe block) of salt. Its a fun car to autocross.

Problems have to do with heavy frontend and too much power (yes its possible). The differential can get junked really quickly, and, thus, I need to get into a Torsen T-2r or similar. Otherwise, frequent rebuilds of the traction-lok are needed. My car goes away really fast as soon as the tires wear. And, the tires wear pretty damn fast. I still have the full interior, etc. If one was really serious, you could probably get a couple hundred pounds off the car. Any movement of weight from the front to the back should help as well.

mx_9

Established Member
Cool picture. Were you accelerating or coasting? With all the power you have throttle modulation becomes an art in that particular scenerio with the right rear lightened up like that. Do you go in a gear high?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Its a short go kart track, so there is only one shift needed from first to second. I think that I am braking or just coming off of braking there.

I am horrible at throttle modulation, but in this corner it is less of an issue because the right rear tire is going to be the outside tire and the car always does better in counter-clockwise turns. In clockwise turns, the right inside tire lights up often in cloud producing fashion--hence the need for a new rear differential and, well, better driving skills. You can get away with the stock limited-slip, but for it to work well, you really need to rebuild it often.

As a driver, I have had (or someday hope) to learn that noisy is slow and quiet and smooth is usually faster when you know what you are doing. I still do not know what I am doing. Look at my head, I should be looking through the corner. God I suck. :)

mx_9

Established Member
It looks like you braked too late. You should have been on the throttle (lightly) to keep the front end up higher. That's easy to say, but hard to do. I always brake too late and get noseplow/tire screeching. My savior is that I have AWD so I can get back on the throttle hard in those situations. Like you mentioned...loud screeching means you're losing time. Light screeching means you're on the edge.

I typically buy pictures taken of me at events if the photographer catches me in a transition. It shows how much I need to improve. I use it as motivation to improve at my next event. Here's a recent picture of me entering a high speed slalom immediately after a double chicago box. It was an offset entry to the slalom during which I actually turned in early (must be a first). Entry speed was at least 60mph as I was in third gear (second tops out at 56mph). My left rear tire shows that I had great grip as the tire is only a little distorted....tire pressure must have been just right. This is my Novice year and I run in AS. What brings me back time and time again is the desire to improve. It's a lot of fun.

autox8subaru01.jpg

vennom

99/03 hybrid
Established Member
i love autocrossing my cobra. . .Just need to learn how to drive. It seems like i wasnt ever pushing as hard as i could. . .something to work on.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
cito said:
That's strange. I have never heard of one throwing a blower belt at all. Maybe it happens more than I know, but never recall hearing of this.

My car is a 2003 Cobra, and it has run like a top mechanically. I won the ESP title for my region, but no STI's or Evo's or f-bodies for that matter, battling with me, so take the result with a grain (maybe block) of salt. Its a fun car to autocross.

Problems have to do with heavy frontend and too much power (yes its possible). The differential can get junked really quickly, and, thus, I need to get into a Torsen T-2r or similar. Otherwise, frequent rebuilds of the traction-lok are needed. My car goes away really fast as soon as the tires wear. And, the tires wear pretty damn fast. I still have the full interior, etc. If one was really serious, you could probably get a couple hundred pounds off the car. Any movement of weight from the front to the back should help as well.

I ran mine through an entire season as well. I ALMOST got 10,000 miles out of my Kumho Ecsta MX's :lol: . Understeer was a real frustration for me until I found the proper tire pressures. Now it's fine. The oversteer...well..that's just plain fun! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread