Swapping solid Axle to IRS

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Need some info and hoping someone could help me out with some part numbers.

I need to know what T block is needed to attach the two rear disk brakes to the T block and what size the brake lines are for this swap?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Anthony, if you don't figure it out I can take a picture off the spare that I have and you can try to match it up. I am sure any kind of T fitting that evenly distributes the fluid will work. It is not a proportioning valve type fitting.

Sad thing is I probably threw that part away when Jason put the IRS in my fox body.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I found out the Brake Line needed are 3/16 and I found the T block as well at Advance Auto.

Sorry if I was not to clear. The rear is in and bolted up.

Now I need some rear lowering springs, I figured now is the time to do it versus installing the factory 04 coupe springs in it.

Thanks for getting back to me.:rockon:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Bleeding brakes today, now to search for a drive shaft solution:banana:

photo1_zps77651076.gif

murderStang2_zpsc375fa46.jpg

murderStang4_zpsaa38102e.jpg

murderStang3_zps8893b787.jpg

murderStang_zpscb4064df.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If your current driveshaft is the right length and u-joint size is the only problem, you can replace the rearmost u-joint on the driveshaft with an adapter joint. The IRS yoke is a 1350, I'm pretty sure the regular mustang driveshaft has 1330 joints.

I guess you'll still need to find the yoke adapter to go on the rear of the driveshaft.

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Do you not have a driveshaft at all? If u-joint size is the only problem, you can replace the rearmost u-joint on the driveshaft with an adapter joint. The IRS yoke is a 1350, can't remember if the regular mustang shaft is a 1310 or 1330.

I see that part on lethal's website

SVTORANGE

Established Member

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The one Lethal carries is the yoke that you already have on the pinion shaft of the diff.

The part I linked replaces the same part on the back end of your driveshaft. The 03 Cobra parts are a bit bigger/beefier than regular mustangs.

The conversion u-joint replaces the joint on the back end of your driveshaft. 1330 trunnion mates up to the driveshaft, the 1350 goes into the flange yoke linked above.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
The one Lethal carries is the yoke that you already have on the pinion shaft of the diff.

The part I linked replaces the same part on the back end of your driveshaft. The 03 Cobra parts are a bit bigger/beefier than regular mustangs.

The conversion u-joint replaces the joint on the back end of your driveshaft. 1330 trunnion mates up to the driveshaft, the 1350 goes into the flange yoke linked above.

So I need the U joint that is shown as well the 1350 serises Neapco or the DANA Spicer u joints.

Which one would you recommend?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Either one of these joints will do. If you aren't putting down a ton of power, the Moog should be fine. Or go into Napa and tell them you need a 448 u-joint. I've had good luck with theirs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-u1648/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-459/overview/

Plus the flange yoke I posted before. Just those two parts are needed. One flange yoke, one u-joint (the X thing).

You have been a great help man thanks so much:beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
No problem. Just wanted to save you the hassle of trying to swap the pinion yoke on the diff, which is tougher to do and more expensive.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
No problem. Just wanted to save you the hassle of trying to swap the pinion yoke on the diff, which is tougher to do and more expensive.

Yeah I heard about the crush sleeve on the IRS rear is pretty much a one time usage and to do that swap you would have to install another crush sleeve.

I think I will try and find another drive shaft and swap that one to the new setup.

Much thanks my man!

Users who are viewing this thread