Swapping pads on my 2011

Jus Cruisin

Established Member
I decided to order Powerstop Z23 pads while I have my wheels off and swap out the OEM pads. Started on the rears. What a pain in the keister..... I bought one of the "cubes" to push in the piston after trying my grinder key. The cube just wouldn't grab. What should have taken a minute or so turned into an hour of fiddling around. Only got one done and then it was dinner time. So I'll do the other side tomorrow. Looks like the Brembos will be a piece of cake compared to the rears.
Oh well, I feel better now...... ;)

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
For the rear calipers you are supposed to screw the piston back in, not push it. There is a very useful tool for that, here is one example https://www.summitracing.com/parts/apt-78618

Also, IMO the powerstop pads are not enough for the GT500. We have the same pads on my dad's Mazda and they're adequate I'd say. But if you like how they feel and you're not overheating them then don't mind me :D.

Jus Cruisin

Established Member
Yeah, I wrote "push" them in. I am screwing them in. Just that the cube I got from Autozone isn't really up to the task. This will be pretty much one and done as far as pad replacement for me with this car. It's just a toy. I'm not a wannabe road racer. If anything, I'm a wannabe drag racer but I'm not an engine builder - mechanic that has the skills to maintain a legit drag car. And I don't have the large fortune to make into a small fortune to fund a crew. I bought the Powerstop for low dust and they are plenty good for horsing around the streets.
If I was into track days I'd be swapping out the entire rear brake system not just pads.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I hate those autozone cubes. Almost sheared/rounded off the little nubs on mine making it a royal pain to swap those rear pads.

Jus Cruisin

Established Member
So...... After fighting with that stupid cube, I went and got a real kit. @BlackCobra99 you were right. Took longer getting the tool out of the kit and put it back than it took to spin the piston in.

I did the Brembos next. Eazy peezy. I didn't even need to mess with the caliper pistons the new pads slid right in.

XP900

Established Member
Harbor freight has a kit that is fairly cheap with a coupon...their kit has adapters foreign and US autos.
If I recall the one thing you have to be aware of (at least on my 2010) is that there is a notch that has to be lined up with the pad or else the pad will be angled improperly. I did this once and happened to catch it after a few thousand miles and the pad had already worn down at an angle. None of my other Fords or cars had this issue so I never even really looked for it...very easy to overlook this esp if you are doing brakes at night with low light

Users who are viewing this thread