Swap my balls!!

Ky GT500

Established Member
Figured I'd go hang out in the garage on this lovely WINTER :mj: day.

So I got my new shifter ball in last Friday from SA. I know some of you have already done this. Ordered on Monday, my door on Friday. Not bad turn around. Ordered with both boot retainers, silver and black,,,toss up on which one to use.

I got the stock ball off and compared the retainers,,,Hmmmm,,, break out the Dremel,,I can mod the silver one to the same height as stock. 5 min. with Dremel cutoff wheel and we have same height as stock.

image-11.jpg

As noted on another post, the SA ball is a tad bigger than the stock ball.

image-12.jpg

Well, I screw the silver spacer down onto the shifter and it bottoms out before it touches the boot,,,misses touching by the very amount I so cleverly just Dremeled off!! DOH!!!:loser: Didn't like that,,nice 1/8-1/4" gap,,not happenin',,so on to plan B,,,remove the stock spacer from original ball,,,how hard can it be?? I've read all the threads about removing it and grinding off the knurled part and just drop it down onto the shifter and screw SA ball down and we are at factory height,,,somewhere along the lines of reading,,I missed the part of protecting the spacer as you remove it,,,thought I had it covered pretty well,,electrical tape on the jaws of the vise grips,,heat gun to heat up the spacer for removal,,,thing is,,,a hot spacer will melt the electrical tape and you now have lovely teeth marks in the factory spacer :fm:,,,,on to plan C,,,

Finished product is the black SA spacer and new SA Grey with Black stripes ball,,,it's not that much taller than stock,,I'll get used to it.

image-23.jpg

The removal and instal was straight forward,,,strap wrench is your friend. Re-instal was done as I had read, screw the spacer down first, screw the insert on next, then screw the ball onto the insert till it bottoms out, line up the shifter ball lines so they are straight and walk away.

Last edited:

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Looks good, Being it's snowing out and it's undercover, I've been holding my Grabber blue and white striped ball in my hand for 2 months air shifting it on the MGW handle.

I'm going to make another lower section, I have a Haas CNC lathe in the shop. I want to make one with 2 finger notches radius cuts in it.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Looks good, Being it's snowing out and it's undercover, I've been holding my Grabber blue and white striped ball in my hand for 2 months air shifting it on the MGW handle.

I'm going to make another lower section, I have a Haas CNC lathe in the shop. I want to make one with 2 finger notches radius cuts in it.

That would be cool,,very custom and one off.

I've got a new one ordered. Might change it out for the OEM short one,,,although, the black spacer is growing on me.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Got a similar one from Speed Dawg but in black with the numbers and the cobra in grey, no stripes...but the best mod is what you have to the left of the shift knob, can't live without it...LOL.

Manuel

Ky GT500

Established Member
Got a similar one from Speed Dawg but in black with the numbers and the cobra in grey, no stripes...but the best mod is what you have to the left of the shift knob, can't live without it...LOL.

Manuel

Good eye,,,,,,rely on it regularly. :coolman:

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
Very cool! Too bad you have some issues but it looks great as is. :beer:

Minor issues that are fixable if I choose. :rockon:

So you're saying your ball wasn't big enough? lol Looks good, sucks it was a pita though.

You know,,,bigger is always better!! :banana:

Really wasn't a pain,,I created the problems myself. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread