Swap from leather premium electric to Recaro manual seats

jmp6889928

I'm new to this forum but a veteran on several others for some other brands of cars. I thought I would give a bit of background so you at least have a flavor for who I am and the things I've done. I am a veteran in Subaru modifications and build custom turbos that have yielded over 600WHP on 2.5L EJ257 engines.

I currently own a 2014 V6 Mustang Premium with an extensive list of mods on it that I track on occasion.

I'm an ASE Certified Master Tech (although I don't do it for a living anymore) and have done custom fabrication work for a lot of different types of race cars including dirt late models, asphalt super late models, road race cars, drag cars, and have done some work for street rods too.

I was involved in the automotive aftermarket industry for almost 30 years and have 11 patents on various types of repair tools and system repair equipment for air conditioning, fuel systems, tubing systems including hydraulic brakes, and power steering systems. My repair system for A/C and Fuel won an international award at Automechanika in Frankfort Germany in 2013 and works for basically all types of tubing including coolant systems and low pressure hydraulics as well. I built the ONLY tool able to press fuel line quick connects into the nylon tubing perfectly with the perfect OE appearance.

I'm not new to Mustangs and Fords in general as we drag raced and road raced several hand built Mustangs and Fairlanes in the 70's. We also drag raced a 64' Thunderbolt and my buddy does still own it. We held a national drag record for 3 years with a 67' Squareback mustang with an extremely modified 289 that was able to rev to almost 11K rpm. It was a beast of a small block and the engine is sitting on a stand in my buddy's garage, never to be driven again, but as a reminder of what we could build if we wanted.

Lastly, I'm old. Yup. Old. I'll be 60 this year, and I've never stopped liking modifying cars and making them go fast. I'm sure I can help these forums with a lot of information as well as hoping to learn a lot from everyone here.

Now, with all that being said, I have an issue that I hope someone on here can help with. I've read a lot of the threads and it seems like everyone has gone the other way, but hopefully you'll chime in and offer advice.

As I mentioned above, I have a 2014 Mustang Premium currently. 3.7L with a lot of handling mods and some engine mods for track days. The list of mods is long and extensive and the car handles extremely well along with big brakes all around and GT500 sways and Ford Motorsport struts with Steeda springs. A Fays2 Watts link on the rear and full PU bushings, adjustable lower control arms and upper link. Much more done to the car and it's at about 368 HP and is light, hence the reason I chose the 6 cylinder version, not to mention the engine sitting behind the front axle axis also helps tremendously.

I HAD another 2014 Mustang standard that had a lot of the parts listed above. In November of 2016, this car was hit from behind at 50+ mph while sitting at a stoplight, driving me up under an SUV and needless to say, it destroyed the car,

My insurance company sold me the wrecked 2014 Mustang and the wrecked car, along with some of the parts listed above, had complete Recaro interior-front and rear seats. I really want to put these seats into my current Mustang but there is a problem in installing them.

The wrecked car was a standard seat car-manual adjustments on the seat bases and no air lumbar control. The current car has electric leather seats and the air lumbar control.

The question for this long diatribe is:

I want to remove the Recaro front seats from their bases and install them onto the electric bases and make them work. I tried just a direct swap with the standard manual bases, and while the electronics plugs are the same plug, the wiring is not. When I plugged them in, it caused all kinds of weird electrical problems on the dash and throughout the car.

Has anyone removed seats from the actual base, and can I make this work?

jmp6889928

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I'll scan that thread and see what he has. I would really love to put the Recaro's on the electric seat bases and still maintain the side airbags but I believe the real issue is the PS seat. That side has all of the sensors that turn on the Pass Air Bag light and weight sensor to turn it off too, BUT, my PS seat currently is also electric-not common from what I'm told, so it makes it a bit of a mess when you plug in the manual seat plug.

jmp6889928

Thanks again Tama for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't really go very much into specifics. I'm hoping someone has removed the seats from the bases and re-mounted them on the power bases. I am hoping I don't have to remove the covers, but if I do, I guess that's the way to do it.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

basspro302

Established Member
The passenger presence system is easy to remove you just have to pop up the seat cover a little bit remove the 2 push pins holding it inplace and slide it out.

jmp6889928

Excellent. The question is, will that disengage the passenger side airbag? I want to maintain the airbags as they are intended.

Users who are viewing this thread