SVTPP wheels have a chip in two wheels

Myfast70

Established Member
I have two wheels (left from and right rear) that came with a little chip/nick in the finish. I spoke with the dealer and he referred me to their wheel repair guy to have them fixed.

I spoke with the wheel repair guy and he said that they would have to be re- powder coated and it takes about 3 business days, which I'm ok with. The only thing is he wants three wheels, two to re coat and one for the color match. I'm not sure that they will be able to get the identical color and am a bit worried about having two mismatched wheels.

What are your guys thoughts on them being able to match the "tarnished" color of the SVTPP wheels? I asked about touch up paint and they said they couldn't use touch up paint as the wheels are powder coated. I'm just wondering if I should have a small paint pen made myself and fill in the chips and save all of the headache & hassle of getting the re powder coated. :fm:

Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
I would not let the wheel repair company re coat them because they most likely will not match and the finish will not hold up like OEM. I would get some Ford wheel touch up paint and do it yourself or get replacement wheels.

Husky44

Established Member
You said it came with chips in the wheels? As in, that's the way it was when you bought from the dealership new?

I'd be requiring the dealer to replace the wheels with new.

If you bought used, then I'll agree with previous post-I'd be hesitant to get two wheels coated, for color match and for durability reasons.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You could always have all 4 wheels powder coated, no chance of mismatch. If you decide to go this route and the dealer agrees, get them in whatever color you like.

I agree with Husky44, if it was like that from new, get the dealer to replace them.

From the 2013 Mustang Owners Guide - Page 297

ACCESSORIES
For a complete listing of the accessories that are available for your vehicle, please contact your dealer or visit our online store at: Accessories.Ford.com (U.S. only).
Ford Custom Accessories are available for your vehicle through your local Ford or Ford of Canada dealer. Ford Motor Company will repair or replace any properly dealer-installed Ford Custom Accessories found to be defective in factory-supplied materials or workmanship during the warranty period, as well as any component damaged by the defective accessories. The accessories will be warranted for whichever provides you the greatest benefit:

• 12 months or 12,000 miles (20,000 km) (whichever occurs first), or
• the remainder of your new vehicle limited warranty.

Contact your dealer for details and a copy of the warranty.

Exterior style
• Quarter window louvers
• Splash guards
• Front end covers
• Side window deflectors
• Grille inserts
• Wheels
• Hood vents
• Custom graphics*
• Graphic stripes
• Side scoops
• Rear spoilers
• Body kits

Interior style
• Floor mats
• Illuminated gear shift knob*
• Sport pedals
• Illuminated door sill plates
• Flexible visor storage system (tissue dispenser, organizer, CD holder)
• Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature

Lifestyle
• Ash cup / smoker’s package
• Cargo net
• Soft cargo organizers
• Cargo area protectors

Peace of mind
• Remote start
• Full vehicle covers
• Vehicle security systems
• Keyless entry keypad
• Wheel locks
• Locking fuel plug
• Bumper mounted parking assist system*

Myfast70

Established Member
I did buy the car brand new. I really don't think the dealer would even be remotely interested in replacing the wheels even though that would make me the happiest.

I really don't feel like dealing with all of the BS that will be associated with getting them replaced. I think I may just try and contact Duplicolor or Automotivetouchup.com and see if they can get me a factory color match. No one will ever know they're there but me as I am super anal about this kind of stuff. URGH!!!!!!

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
As expensive as the PP wheels are, you're going to probably have to do a little convincing, but I would feel the dealer should replace them if they were that way.

san6279

Established Member
Were the chips documented at the time of delivery? If so, no question, they should be replaced. There is NO way you should have to settle for "fixed" wheels on a brand new Shelby. If you agree to the fix and it doesn't come out to your liking, then what? For sure they won't want to spend more and replace at that point...unless the coat job is obviously bad. I would start with the "fix" you know is going to work.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
So aftermarket powder coating is not as durable? Like, if the original poster wanted to go full black on these PP wheels the result would be more likely to chip/wear in the future than the original?

Myfast70

Established Member
One thing that may be an issue for me is the fact that I asked the dealer to not wash & detail the car as it was fairly dirty and I'm extremely picky about the paint and scratches. The dealer and I did agree that I would let them know if I found any issues. I did find two pretty deep scuffs in the paint but took care of them myself and let him know about them.

I called and told him about the wheels and he asked for pictures which I sent. He made some phone calls and this was his approach to fixing them. I haven't asked him directly about replacing the wheels yet as I just spoke with his wheel repair guy today. I figured that I should try calling first to see what the wheel guy had to say.

I think I will try calling Ford Cust service tomorrow and see what they say as Ive already got a contact there.

NJSP117

Established Member
That's crazy that they had a chip when new....dealer should make good on it and send them back....sure not your fault.

mullens

Established Member
We are all anal about these cars, but that sounds like an awful lot of work for a couple of chips. Unless you are very lucky, the repaired wheels will never look the same. If the wheels had a large curb gash or major damage then I'd let them do it. But not for a couple of chips. If they won't replace the wheels, I'd find the best match touch-up paint and just use that. You are going to get chips anyway if you drive the car. JMHO.

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
We are all anal about these cars, but that sounds like an awful lot of work for a couple of chips. Unless you are very lucky, the repaired wheels will never look the same. If the wheels had a large curb gash or major damage then I'd let them do it. But not for a couple of chips. If they won't replace the wheels, I'd find the best match touch-up paint and just use that. You are going to get chips anyway if you drive the car. JMHO.

To be honest, I'm kinda with you. The car is not museum piece and will be driven. It's just not worth the hassle. I don't feel like dragging this out for weeks or even months. I emailed my contact at Ford customer service tonight along with pics.

I've waited 5 1/2 months for this damn car and don't want it to be stuck at the dealer or in my garage on jack stands while they get fixed / replaced. I already have one mustang that's down and don't care to make it two.

I'll see what they say and take it from there.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
How big are the chips? If you drive the car you will get chips in the rear rims anyway from rocks/gravel thrown up from the front tires.

Users who are viewing this thread