SVTPerformance Plumbing 101 : Lethal Performance Offroad H & X-Pipe Test

acrbill

Established Member
Great write up. Does the clamp on the H seem tight or does it need to be welded?

Check out my install how to. I ended up using a stainless band clamp since it will be there for the long haul. With the band clamp there is no noticeable leakage at the slip fit connection.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Awesome article Travis!! The pics, video and write-up came out great. Definitely gotta give a shout out to Stacy as well as I'm sure she played a big part of those pics coming out so nice. :)

You did an awesome job. This clears up a lot of questions we seem to get all of the time about the sound and power difference between the X and H. Just like you said no one is going to notice a 3hp difference however the sound is definitely what separates one from the other.

We're glad you chose us to be a part of your build and thank you for making us a part of the SVTperformance family. It's been about 6 years since we hooked up with you and the love we get from the community just keeps on growing.

Thanks again!!

Jared and the entire crew at Lethal Performance, Inc.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
Thanks for the shout-out! The pipes make a ton of difference in sound and power... and it was so easy a Mustang Chick could do the install! :) j/k!

By Exhaust Comparison, This is by far one of the Best articles I have ever read for the 5.0! -- Keep it going SVTP!

scott_0

Established Member
wow! great write up! very well written and thorough

SVT Pille

Established Member
Awesome write up. With a basically stock car like that I'm not suprised in how close the numbers were.

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
Perfect write up.... If only all the dealers, manufacturers, vendors etc. tested the goods they offer like you guys. Couple questions though. Not sure if you guys did any catcack reviews yet, and if not I wonder why the midpipe comparison and install was done prior to doing a catback test? (Again, maybe I missed a catback test?) I only ask because I would think that 90% + of buyers would either get the carback prior to the midpipe, or at the same time. However, I would also assume that when the time comes to test catbacks you will do a comparison with and without the o/r midpipe, but again, just a guess?? I'm not trying to nit pick as you guys have always done great articles, but it just seems to me that not many people would buy the midpipe and keep the stock exhaust. Also, I didn't notice anywhere in the article, but is the piping 2.5"?

Your description of the sound difference is spot on to what I said that I noticed on my car. When I bought it it came with a generic o/r H and Flows welded into the stock catback. It sounded great but fit like crap. I then swapped out the H for an UPR o/r X and the first thing by buddy said was that it sounded like a Eupropean exotic v8 or v10, especially between 2200 and 4000 RPM. I ended up swapping everything out for a full stainless Bassnni setup which sounds like a combo of both only WAY louder IMO. One thing I will say, and was told to me by my mechanic whom I ordered the stuff from, is that a chambered style midpipe, such as the Mac Prochamber or the Bassani stuff among others, combined with chambered mufflers, such as Flowmaster will sound like poop. Since they had the midpipe in stock and had to order the 3" catback as it was brand new to the market at the time, I installed the midpipe and he was definitely correct. With the Flows still on the car it was really raspy, had a BOATLOAD of drone and just sounded like there were a bunch of nuts and bolts bouncing around in the mufflers.

Sorry to get off topic a bit there, but again, great write up!!! I wish more people were able to do the same...

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for the detailed article!

Got to say I am a bit disappointed with all the photos and not ONE hot model shot? :)

We'll have to work on that in the future.:beer:

Perfect write up.... If only all the dealers, manufacturers, vendors etc. tested the goods they offer like you guys. Couple questions though. Not sure if you guys did any catcack reviews yet, and if not I wonder why the midpipe comparison and install was done prior to doing a catback test? (Again, maybe I missed a catback test?) I only ask because I would think that 90% + of buyers would either get the carback prior to the midpipe, or at the same time. However, I would also assume that when the time comes to test catbacks you will do a comparison with and without the o/r midpipe, but again, just a guess?? I'm not trying to nit pick as you guys have always done great articles, but it just seems to me that not many people would buy the midpipe and keep the stock exhaust. Also, I didn't notice anywhere in the article, but is the piping 2.5"?

Your description of the sound difference is spot on to what I said that I noticed on my car. When I bought it it came with a generic o/r H and Flows welded into the stock catback. It sounded great but fit like crap. I then swapped out the H for an UPR o/r X and the first thing by buddy said was that it sounded like a Eupropean exotic v8 or v10, especially between 2200 and 4000 RPM. I ended up swapping everything out for a full stainless Bassnni setup which sounds like a combo of both only WAY louder IMO. One thing I will say, and was told to me by my mechanic whom I ordered the stuff from, is that a chambered style midpipe, such as the Mac Prochamber or the Bassani stuff among others, combined with chambered mufflers, such as Flowmaster will sound like poop. Since they had the midpipe in stock and had to order the 3" catback as it was brand new to the market at the time, I installed the midpipe and he was definitely correct. With the Flows still on the car it was really raspy, had a BOATLOAD of drone and just sounded like there were a bunch of nuts and bolts bouncing around in the mufflers.

Sorry to get off topic a bit there, but again, great write up!!! I wish more people were able to do the same...

We'll be adding a cat-back to the mix in the near future. The Lethal pipes are 3 inch.

Got my lethal offrad H-pipe dropped off last night.Now just waiting for the rest to get here.Thanks for the write up.

:beer:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
So, that's numbers with a tune? I know you said required tune, but I wasn't sure if that was just to turn off the rear o2 sensor stuff, or if it was a tune that changed timing and/or A/F. Just trying to get an idea of what was gained by the x and h-pipes without a tune adjusting other variables.
Travis

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So, that's numbers with a tune? I know you said required tune, but I wasn't sure if that was just to turn off the rear o2 sensor stuff, or if it was a tune that changed timing and/or A/F. Just trying to get an idea of what was gained by the x and h-pipes without a tune adjusting other variables.
Travis

Those numbers are with a mild tune.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Cool.. I wonder what the gains are with just the X or H? What I'm getting at, is that I have a steed CAI, and Lund tune already. Just wondering what I would gain with the addition of a X or H pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread