SVTPerformance Plumbing 101 : Lethal Performance Offroad H & X-Pipe Test

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Two weeks ago we introduced you to the magnificent install facilities at Arrington Performance, parent company of SVTP Vendor ShopSupercharger.com, in an article featuring the installation of Airaid’s MXP intake system on the SVTP 2012 GT. And if you know one thing about SVTP, it’s that the NWS Pics that make you :lol: every time you see them NWS thread is awesome. But if you happen to know two things about SVTP, you’re likely to know that there’s no way we could go to a shop as impressive as Arrington’s and only install a CAI. Indeed, we had a few other mods up our respective sleeves.

We came loaded for bear with a big box of goodies from Lethal Performance. Many of you familiar with the 2011+ Mustang market are likely aware of Lethal’s offerings in the exhaust department. They came storming onto the scene early with both off-road X and H mid-pipes. Knowing that it’s long been a heated topic of discussion as to which is the better choice, we decided to try shedding a little light on the issue by testing them both on theSVTP 2012 Mustang GT project car. We have sounds clips, personal impressions (aka opinions), and dyno numbers for styles of mid-pipe. All the data was gathered the same day, with only hours separating the testing of each pipe.

The first thing I want to say about both pipes is that they fit fantastically. The installation is simple and straightforward. It’s really as easy as unbolting the stock pipes and bolting on the Lethal parts. Both the aluminized Lethal pipes bolt on exactly as they should without any drama. The most difficult part of the installation was removal of one nut on passenger side collector flange. To remove it we had to use an estimated 32 feet of extensions and 17 swivels while accessing it through the engine bay. It was no fun at all.

Fortunately, after all the hand tool acrobatics we were nearly ready to spin the rollers on the dyno. When making the switch to an off-road style exhaust it is necessary to tune the ECM. To go along with its exhaust fixtures Lethal sent us a custom tune from Jon Lund. If you haven’t heard of Jon Lund before perhaps you should consider extricating yourself from beneath the bolder under which you appear to be residing. Mr. Lund has been tuning Coyote powered Mustangs from the very beginning, and you can purchase tunes created by him through Lethal Performance. In order to obtain consistent results, all runs made with Lethal’s off-road pipes were ran with the same Lund tune. So with our SCT X-Cal III filled with Lund’s hexadecimal trickery we set out in the pursuit of performance.

During our baseline run the SVTP GT put down 362.0 RWHP and 349.7 RWTQ.

Stockedit.jpg

Our first combination to test was the Lethal X-pipe with the stock intake and the required Lund tune. This produced 381.6 RWHP and 369.1 RWTQ.

X-Pipeedit.jpg

With just the addition of the Lethal X-Pipe and a Lund tune we picked up 19.6 hp and 19.4 lb/ft of torque.

Stock v X-Pipeedit.jpg

After that, we bolted on our Airaid MXP Intake and gave it another run. That maxed us out at 387.5 RWHP and 374.3 RWTQ.

Airaid X-Pipeedit.jpg

The Airaid intake helped us tack on 5.9 HP and 5.2 lb/ft of torque compared to the stock intake.

Airaid + X-Pipe v X-Pipeedit.jpg

This brings our total to 25.5 HP and 24.6 lb/ft over our baseline.

Stock v X-Pipe v Airaid + X-Pipeedit.jpg

Next up was the Lethal Off-Road H-Pipe. The swap from the X-pipe to the H-pipe was exceedingly simple. Like before, unbolt the old and bolt on the new.

Our first H-pipe test was with the stock intake, and that netted us 380.1 RWHP and 368.2 RWTQ.

H-Pipeedit.jpg

That represents a gain of 18.1 HP and 18.5 lb/ft over stock.

Stock v H-Pipeedit.jpg

However, it is a loss of 1.5 HP and 0.9 lb/ft versus the X-pipe with the stock intake.

X-Pipe v H-Pipeedit.jpg

Lastly, it was time to try out the Lethal H-pipe with the Airaid intake. That combination rewarded us with 384.5 RWHP and 369.7 RWTQ.

Airaid + H-Pipeedit.jpg

Second grade level mathematics tells us that this is an increase of 22.5 HP and 20.0 lb/ft over stock.

Stock v Airaid + H-Pipeedit.jpg

The addition of the Airaid intake gave us an extra 5.5 HP and 1.8 lb/ft over the stock intake.

H-Pipe v Airaid + H-Pipeedit.jpg

However, this is 3.0 HP and 4.6 lb/ft less than the X-pipe and Airaid combo.

Airadi + H-Pipe v Airaid + X-Pipeedit.jpg

Now that we’ve safely navigated today’s math lesson, we can get down to the issue of sound. This is the place where you’re going to find a real difference between the designs. Let’s face it, when you’re dealing with a 3,600 pound car you’re not really going to feel a three horsepower difference. So when you’re trying to decide on which style of mid-pipe to purchase for your Mustang the idea of a minuscule power difference should be secondary. What I’m sure most of you will be after is a change in exhaust tone, and these two pipes certainly have differing personalities.

The X-pipe brings with it a raspy note with a hint of exotic flavor. It sounds almost European in nature. If you’re a fan of the higher toned, more tinny, sound of a V8 from across the pond the X-pipe is the choice for you. If you’re more of an American V8 rumble traditionalist the H-pipe is the mid-pipe for you. It produces a much lower and deeper tone than the X-pipe, sounds more like what most people would expect from a muscle car. The H-pipe provides a well defined growl as the RPMs rise, whereas the X-pipe roars.

But it's one thing to talk about how something sounds, and it's another to listen for yourself.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/bU6nZnAgNsI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/bU6nZnAgNsI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

And it wouldn't be an SVTPerformance.com article if we didn't include a small memory card full of pictures. Enjoy.:beer:

Ubiquitous glory shot.

Mod1-294-edit.jpg

An example of the work we preformed at Arrington earlier in the day.

Mod1-114-edit.jpg

Strapped down and ready to go.

Mod1-124-edit.jpg

This car looks powerful just sitting on the dyno.

Mod1-125-edit.jpg

SVTP version of "The Spin Cycle."

Mod1-116-edit.jpg

Time to get our hands dirty.

Mod1-138-edit.jpg

Install Instructions: Bolt this under that.

Mod1-139-edit.jpg

This should give you an idea about the wall thickness of the Lethal Mid-Pipes.

Mod1-144-edit.jpg

For ease of installation the X-Pipe comes in two pieces.

Mod1-149-edit.jpg

The enemy within.

Mod1-153-edit.jpg

One of these is not like the other. (Hint: It weighs less than two tons.)

Mod1-156-edit.jpg

A sound insulated dyno control room is a nice thing to have if you value your hearing.

Mod1-160-edit.jpg

I believe I spot a NASCAR engine.

Mod1-161-edit.jpg

The stock components are very high quality, but they need to go.

Mod1-164-edit.jpg

If you look over the stock piping you'll find many bends, crimps, and reductions that can impede exhaust flow.

Mod1-165-edit.jpg

The stock band clamps are good quality and are reused with the Lethal kits.

Mod1-166-edit.jpg

A necked down section of pipe is clearly visible here.

Mod1-167-edit.jpg

Having access to a lift makes a mid-pipe install much simpler.

Mod1-174-edit.jpg

Have to get the oxygen sensors swapped over to the new pipes.

Mod1-175-edit.jpg

The stock cats bolt directly to the factory tubular headers.

Mod1-177-edit.jpg

Here you can see how flange connection methods differ on the stock (studs) and Lethal (bolts) pipes.

Mod1-183-edit.jpg

Getting the X-pipe into place.

Mod1-185-edit.jpg

The Lethal X-Pipe installed.

Mod1-204-edit.jpg

The Lethal parts install cleanly and without any unexpected drama.

Mod1-205-edit.jpg

The Lethal H-Pipe is up next.

Mod1-214-edit.jpg

All cinched up. It's a very clean install.

Mod1-217-edit.jpg

The Lethal Pipes mate nicely to the stock band clamps.

Mod1-221-edit.jpg

That rusty chunk of steel driveshaft will be addressed sometime in the future.

Mod1-226-edit.jpg

Using bolts instead of studs to connect the flanges to the headers makes installing the Lethal pipes much easier than removing the stock parts.

Mod1-230-edit.jpg

I think the SVTP GT needs the tranny cooling scoop from the Boss 302.

Mod1-231-edit.jpg

The Lethal H-Pipe looks right at home.

Mod1-237-edit.jpg

The H-pipe crossover slips together and is held in place with u-bolt style exhaust clamp.

Mod1-238-edit.jpg

Strapped down and ready to make some power.

Mod1-243-edit.jpg

An FRPP differential girdle would look great here.

Mod1-245-edit.jpg

Dyno time.

Mod1-250-edit.jpg

I think we're running about 300 MPH here.

Mod1-253-edit.jpg

I need to install a dyno cell like this at my house.

Mod1-255-edit.jpg

The Brembo package is great.

Mod1-256-edit.jpg

Wheel chocks are a good idea.

Mod1-258-edit.jpg

Not something they see everyday at Arrington.

Mod1-287-edit.jpg

Yellow Blaze paint looks great in this light.

Mod1-293-edit.jpg

One last shot since the car is really clean.

Mod1-295-edit.jpg

Special Thanks To:

Lethal Performance - Be sure to visit Lethal Performance's forum here on SVTP - SVTPerformance.com - Lethal Performance

Arrington Performance and ShopSupercharger.com

StacyStangz Photography

More articles featuring the SVTP 2012 GT are coming very soon.

Any shots taken at the owners of other makes is merely good natured ribbing. If you can't take the joke you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

SID297:beer:

Nick_B95GT

Established Member
awesome , i figured the x wouldve made more power,,but only 3-4hp isnt much difference, its all on what you like to hear

Cuco5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the amazing writeup and the video...i can finally decide which one i will go with!:banana:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Nice write up as always. So I have to ask, which setup did you prefer and leave on the car? X or H?

ViciousJay

Established Member
so basically it comes down to a matter of sound preference.... looks like you ended up keeping the H on... :rockon:

WHITEMACH

Established Member
i have had the x pipe for a long time and the fitment is great and the quality is awesome! i think the more mods you add the bigger the gap will get!,,,,,,my .02

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for the amazing writeup and the video...i can finally decide which one i will go with!:banana:

:beer:

Nice write up as always. So I have to ask, which setup did you prefer and leave on the car? X or H?

I prefer the sound of H-pipe, so that's what stayed on the car.

so basically it comes down to a matter of sound preference.... looks like you ended up keeping the H on... :rockon:

Yep.

i have had the x pipe for a long time and the fitment is great and the quality is awesome! i think the more mods you add the bigger the gap will get!,,,,,,my .02

We will likely revisit them again in the future.

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
So an H pipe with let's say pype bomb muffler delete exhaust would sound good? I'm looking for something loud, If I don't end up getting headers. Would the x pipe be louder but raspier?

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
I love my lethal O/R H pipe.

The lady who runs the apartment office asked me today if I could park a little farther from my apartment because my 90 year old neighbor downstairs apparently gets extremely frightened in the morning when I leave to go to work.

:rockon:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I love my lethal O/R H pipe.

The lady who runs the apartment office asked me today if I could park a little farther from my apartment because my 90 year old neighbor downstairs apparently gets extremely frightened in the morning when I leave to go to work.

:rockon:

Did you laugh at her?

FCCS

All available staff......
Established Member
H-pipe here. If I heard that peelin around a corner I would probably guess a different car. Alot of 4.6 noise is all I hear. I like hearing a 4.6 with full exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread