SVTPerformance Oil Futures Index : Royal Purple HPS Review

stxdude

We also carry RP filters they are great real heavy duty you can feel the difference in the weight of the filter compared to the regular oil filters we carry but they cost 15 bucks extra.

mustangcobra98

Got Nitrous?
Established Member
I love RP been using it for years, its in my Diff tranny and engine. I'll be picking up some of this new stuff next oil change.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When i first got hired i was like RP sweet i used it in my rear diff in my f150. The other employees were like dont get excited about it it burns off the next car with RP thats comes in check the oil level and see if it has any leaks. I even asked my DM for an anwer cause customers would ask me why does this happen and i didnt know what to say he told me your engine needs to get used to it. I was like thats a load of crap thats not an anwser a customer wants to hear. They trust you when they come to your store for an oil change and want the best oil you carry and this was not just from my store every store i worked at i talked to the guys and same stories.So as far as real evidence we dont have any its just what we see day in day out but the customer has a 5,000 miles top off service after the synthetic oil change has been done they can come in and get all thier fluids topped off and tires checked for free. We also carry Mobile 1 and we never have any problems unless they have any oil leaks.

So what properties (either physical or chemical) would RP possess that would allow it to bypass the rings, seals, etc in order to enter the combustion chamber and "burn off", where other oils wouldn't?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
So what properties (either physical or chemical) would RP possess that would allow it to bypass the rings, seals, etc in order to enter the combustion chamber and "burn off", where other oils wouldn't?

Sid, with all due respect, someone doesn't have to explain WHY the sky is blue in order to make the general observation that it does, in fact, appear blue. Lighten up on him a bit.

Some have had bad experiences with RP, Ford, Toyota, McDonald's, etc. Others will swear by the products of those same companies. It's nice to be able to come on here and explain our own experiences and to share information. Each of us has the freedom to speak openly, and each of use has the freedom to believe or disbelieve whatever we read on a public forum.

We often get so agressive on these forums that we feel compelled to beat everyone into submission until they get on the bandwagon with us. If one doesn't prefer the same oil as everyone else, the same shifter, the same tuner, etc. etc., he is quickly jumped on by everyone else.

We don't have to agree on everything. If we did, most of us would be unnecessary.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sid, with all due respect, someone doesn't have to explain WHY the sky is blue in order to make the general observation that it does, in fact, appear blue. Lighten up on him a bit.

Some have had bad experiences with RP, Ford, Toyota, McDonald's, etc. Others will swear by the products of those same companies. It's nice to be able to come on here and explain our own experiences and to share information. Each of us has the freedom to speak openly, and each of use has the freedom to believe or disbelieve whatever we read on a public forum.

We often get so agressive on these forums that we feel compelled to beat everyone into submission until they get on the bandwagon with us. If one doesn't prefer the same oil as everyone else, the same shifter, the same tuner, etc. etc., he is quickly jumped on by everyone else.

We don't have to agree on everything. If we did, most of us would be unnecessary.

That would be fine, if his observations made any sense. In an otherwise healthy engine one oil of equal viscosity is not going to "burn off" any more than another. It has nothing to do with RP, or any brand preference for that matter. The same would apply if it were the cheapest swill you could find at a gas station. If the engine "burns oil" it's going to do so irrespective of the brand of oil being used.

I think the correct number is 20-500.

I believe you are correct.:beer:

cobralove90

Established Member
i wonder if it is worth the money, i have 93xxx on my 03 cobra, been using mobil 1 since 59xxx when i brought it, just dont know if i should give it a shot or not:shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Updated availability info.

Due to Royal Purple HPS being a new product this year, you are not likely to find it on a local store shelf. However eventually a special order should be possible at your local O’Reilly’s, or NAPA. Also in some regions Advanced Auto, Carquest and Pep Boys may also be able to special order HPS for you.

When getting HPS locally does not work out it is definitely available and shipping online at:

Lucky7trucks.com: HPS High Performance Street Oil - Lucky 7 Truck Accessories
Summit Racing: Royal Purple at SummitRacing.com: synthetic motor oil, coolant additives, gear lube, transmission fluid, assembly lube & more
Jegs: Royal Purple 31130 Royal Purple HPS Street Motor Oil
Pace Performance: Pace Performance
Amazon.com:

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey

Royal Purple Technical Services

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Got a question about the HPS that hasn't been specifically addressed in this thread. This statement has got me thinking: "The newest oil specifications are now more focused on emissions equipment compatibility than valve train and bearing protection"

Does the increase in certain lubricating minerals in HPS over the API oils increase substantially the chance of long term failure to a car's emissions equipment (in an unmodified car that still has its cats, etc)?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Got a question about the HPS that hasn't been specifically addressed in this thread. This statement has got me thinking: "The newest oil specifications are now more focused on emissions equipment compatibility than valve train and bearing protection"

Does the increase in certain lubricating minerals in HPS over the API oils increase substantially the chance of long term failure to a car's emissions equipment (in an unmodified car that still has its cats, etc)?

Thank you.

Due to varying degrees of quality, the ZDDP anti wear additive as used by nearly all engine oils, in it's cheapest form can exhibit low retention and high volatility.

When this cheaper version of the ZDDP additive is used in higher than normal levels, and is combined with an engine that is burning oil, it can lead to early cat failure.

Oil companies have a choice when blending oils as to which quality level the components are that they buy.

We only use the very best additives and base oils in our oils. I have been using the Royal Purple XPR series race oils in my 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang since 2006 and it still has the stock cats in perfect condition.

The XPR series race oils have the highest levels of ZDDP of all of our oils. Nearly all of the employees of Royal Purple have been using XPR series oils in their "grocery getters" and daily drivers for over ten years without a single cat failure.

The HPS has less of this ZDDP additive so it will present even less risk of premature failure.

If I had to choose between buying cats or buying an engine I'm pretty sure I know which one I would favor with superior protection.

However if you are extremely concerned about your catalytic converters life, you also have the choice of playing it perfectly safe and using the SAE/API-SN version of the oil.

FordJunkie

Established Member
The SAE/API-SN RP on the shelf

Just curious as what kind of protection the SAE/API-SN RP on the shelf offers now that the Synerlec additive has been removed,and also is it still a group 4 oil,thanks!

FordJunkie

Established Member
Just curious as what kind of protection the SAE/API-SN RP on the shelf offers now that the Synerlec additive has been removed,and also is it still a group 4 oil,thanks!

ah,well,I figured I wouldnt get a answer to the question,couldnt get one from techline either. Ah,well,not open about products,then,I'll move along to something else.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey try the search function and type in motor oil. Or maybe new members have to have a certain amount of posts before they can use the search function...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's a proprietary blend of Group IV and Group V base oils and is formulated with the ZDDP as close to the 800ppm max phosphorous as possible without going over.
It is formulated to be the best oil available that falls within the chemistry restrictions of an API-SN oil.

ah,well,I figured I wouldnt get a answer to the question,couldnt get one from techline either. Ah,well,not open about products,then,I'll move along to something else.

Why so snarky?

That's the same answer that is given on the tech line as well, however this was a thread about the HPS series oils that are not API licensed and not subject to chemistry restrictions.

Not open about our oils? Not about everything no, even Mobil 1 has information that remains proprietary.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The oil is still in the car. It has about 5,000 miles on it now. About half of those have been supercharged. I'm hoping to change the oil out this weekend.

RusWolf

Established Member
The oil is still in the car. It has about 5,000 miles on it now. About half of those have been supercharged. I'm hoping to change the oil out this weekend.

Cool i'd like to know how good that oil is!...

I'm just about at 5K miles on Mobil 1 and planning on doing an oil change this weekend as well.

I guess i'll just fill up with M1 again and after witnessing whatever you are going to post if the oil is good i'm most likely upgrading to HPS.

I'm just curious is there any benefit to goign with 10w-30 over 5w-30 ?

isn't the first number for cold temperature starts ?

Users who are viewing this thread