SVTPerformance Oil Futures Index : Royal Purple HPS Review

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
noticeable difference with RP oil's and other lubes they sell. made the switch last year and would highly recommend. prior, use to run Mobile-1 with no major issues, just wanted something with a better performance rating.
also, i work at pepboy's pt, so the discount helps.
just ran a 5qt-with filter special for $40....plus was able to -20%!!!!
love the discounts when building a car.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Plans for a UOA?

Yes, probably a VOA too.

So what are the numbers?

Have to do a VOA to know for sure.

So - in conclusion , the regular RP (non HPS) Is NOT what it use to be???

I can't answer that for sure. My guess is that they had to cut some of the good stuff to meet the new API standards with it. I do know that HPS is better than the old RP formula. It's not just the old stuff with a new name.

noticeable difference with RP oil's and other lubes they sell. made the switch last year and would highly recommend. prior, use to run Mobile-1 with no major issues, just wanted something with a better performance rating.
also, i work at pepboy's pt, so the discount helps.
just ran a 5qt-with filter special for $40....plus was able to -20%!!!!
love the discounts when building a car.

That is a pretty good deal.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So what are the zinc & phosphorus Numbers (PPM) compared to the regular royal purple PPM?

So what are the numbers?

Current HPS batches are typically in excess of 1200 ppm of zinc and phosphorous both. (Some minor batch variations can be found with any oil)

So - in conclusion , the regular RP (non HPS) Is NOT what it use to be???

That would be correct. No API-SN oil is what an API-SL oil used to be.

However if anyone needs a current warranty compliant API-SN licensed oil, you would be hard pressed to find a better one than Royal Purple SAE/API-SN oils.

If warranty compliance is not an issue, HPS is a very robust oil for not a whole lot more money.

stxdude

i wouldnt use RP period its garbage it burns off check your oil level before you 5000 mile mark then ask yourself why am i missing 3 qaurts of oil and i dont have an oil leak

Cuco5.0

Established Member
i wouldnt use RP period its garbage it burns off check your oil level before you 5000 mile mark then ask yourself why am i missing 3 qaurts of oil and i dont have an oil leak

Great 1st post! NEVER have i burned a single drop of Royal Purple....TROLL

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

So RP managed to eat the rings and valve seals out of your engine? Do you have pics of the tear down? They would be quite interesting to see.

MikeyP60

Established Member
I've been using RP in my "L" for 7 years. Change it every 3-4k and have had absolutely no issues. Found some RP Filters and have using those also.Great product as far as I'm concerned.:beer:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
There will Always be Haters.

Congrats on that stack of oil, it looks like you got quite the hook up.

svtmemo

Established Member
I switched over to RP from mobil 1 three oil changes ago, great product IMO, I will also be swithching over to the hps series come next oil change.

stxdude

Im not being a hater its just that in my personal experience i work for one of the largest RP disributors (lube shop) in San Antonio we have 22 locations. It is a constant problem customers come in to get thier oil changed and we check oil level before we drain and alot of cars are missing oil and yeah some have oil leaks but some dont Even low mileage vehicles.

lsp408

Established Member
its not oil's problem. its the way motors are built now day.

anyone owns LS1 knows that catch can is a must for those motor. new hemi... new 5.0... new LSx... its all the same.

also depends on how the car was driven, I know anything I drive will see less oil in the pan just because on a typical day to day commute, the car will easily see at least 5 to 10 WOT all the way to rev limiter or shift point...

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Im not being a hater its just that in my personal experience i work for one of the largest RP disributors (lube shop) in San Antonio we have 22 locations. It is a constant problem customers come in to get thier oil changed and we check oil level before we drain and alot of cars are missing oil and yeah some have oil leaks but some dont Even low mileage vehicles.

Going against my better judgment here.

In your expert opinion as an employee of a "lube shop in San Antonio" what physical or chemical properties of Royal Purple makes it more susceptible to bypassing oil related seals within the engine, and therefore burning off, than other oils on the market? Do you have an empirical evidence to support your claims?

SVTDice

Established Member
This will get interesting. However it sickens me on where the "API" Is headed, They put us "High Performance" Guys Valve trains at risk. Same thing with Ford recommending 5w20 vs 5w30. Not because "Its better for the Engine" Simply due to the fact of CAFE Laws.

Anyways, This looks like a VERY High Quality oil and filter, I may run a cycle through my 03 and do a UOA. Would I have to order online?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This will get interesting. However it sickens me on where the "API" Is headed, They put us "High Performance" Guys Valve trains at risk. Same thing with Ford recommending 5w20 vs 5w30. Not because "Its better for the Engine" Simply due to the fact of CAFE Laws.

Anyways, This looks like a VERY High Quality oil and filter, I may run a cycle through my 03 and do a UOA. Would I have to order online?

You can get it most major auto parts stores.

Can you get it for the GT500? 5-50W?

RP doesn't make a 5w50. They recommend using their 5w40.

stxdude

When i first got hired i was like RP sweet i used it in my rear diff in my f150. The other employees were like dont get excited about it it burns off the next car with RP thats comes in check the oil level and see if it has any leaks. I even asked my DM for an anwer cause customers would ask me why does this happen and i didnt know what to say he told me your engine needs to get used to it. I was like thats a load of crap thats not an anwser a customer wants to hear. They trust you when they come to your store for an oil change and want the best oil you carry and this was not just from my store every store i worked at i talked to the guys and same stories.So as far as real evidence we dont have any its just what we see day in day out but the customer has a 5,000 miles top off service after the synthetic oil change has been done they can come in and get all thier fluids topped off and tires checked for free. We also carry Mobile 1 and we never have any problems unless they have any oil leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread