SVTPerformance MGW Omnibus : MGW MT-82 Shifter Preview, Install, and Review

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SVTPerformance MGW Omnibus : MGW MT-82 Shifter Preview, Install, and Review

MGW2-029-edit.jpg

It seems to be becoming an annual pilgrimage for us at SVTP to make our way to Georgia to take part in the installation of MGW’s newest shifter offering for the Mustang market. Last year we were the first to bring you info on the MGW shifter for the 2007-2012 SVT GT500. We also produced an install video for that product as well.

For 2011 we made the trip south to install a pre-production version of the MGW shifter for the 2011+ Mustang’s MT-82 6-speed manual transmission. To say that this part has been highly anticipated in the Mustang community may be a bit of an understatement. The thirst for information about this product in SVTP’s 2011+ Mustang Forum has been insatiable. To that end I am please to say that this review will be the first third party review you will find anywhere. However, this is not your typical new product review. MGW invited SVTPerformance to take part in the final phase of development on its MT-82 shifter. This is not an experience in which many get to participate, and needless to say that we were honored to be a part of it.

First, we need a little background on why this shifter has been so highly anticipated. In my opinion the shifter in a manual transmission car is one of the most important items in determining the general enjoyment of driving said car. The feeling of the gear changes, along with the weight of the steering, responsiveness of the brakes, and crispness of the throttle response can largely define the character of a vehicle. In a previous article I described my personal experience with the tranny in the 2012 SVTPerformance Mustang GT as being somewhat lackluster. While I do like the short throws and close ratios, I deplore the feel of the gear changes. As odd as it seems the best description I can think of for the feeling of the gear changes in the MT-82 is both vague and “crunchy.” The crunchiness is the sensation felt through the shifter during the process of a gear change. I have seen others describe the same feeling as “gritty” and/or “clunky.” At times it feels like moving the shift lever through a bucket of gravels. It doesn’t give you a very happy feeling about what may be going on inside your new Mustang’s gearbox.

In other words, Ford put a tranny in the Mustang that created a perfect opportunity for the aftermarket to take over where Ford left off. MGW is a little late to the shifter party this time around, but what an entrance they are making. We arrived at MGW’s manufacturing facilities and were greeted by a cart of MT-82 shifter bodies waiting to be assembled. Anyone who has experience with MGW shifter products can attest to its position as the standard bearer of quality in the industry. This new product is no exception, the craftsmanship and attention to detail it displays know no equal. This is something we have come to expect from MGW over the years, and here they again surpass our expectations.

The install of this part is pretty straight forward, so we won’t spend much time covering it. You basically remove the old stuff and install the new billet aluminum awesomeness. One thing I can report is that this shifter is much easier to install than the MGW part for the GT500. We have an install video posted below for your viewing pleasure.

As soon as the part was installed the difference in feel is immediately noticeable. The throws are not too much shorter than the already short throw stock shifter. MGW felt that going too much shorter would make the shifting feel too notchy. We agree. MGW had us try three different length shifter handles which produce three different shift lengths. The shortest was a bit too notchy for my tastes, though some may like it. The longest felt too detached. The increased mechanical leverage it affords the driver seems to isolate you too much. The result is a numb feel. Not surprisingly, the Goldilocks-esq middle one, which splits the difference between the previous two, feels just right. It shortens the shifts enough to provide a noticeable difference in shift lengths, about 25% shorter, and feeling without becoming notchy. This is the shaft length that MGW ultimately decided to ship with the kits.

From there we moved to tuning one of an MGW shifter’s hallmark features, the self-centering spring back. Anyone who has driven an MGW equipped car can attest how great it is to be able to simple push or pull the shifter in the direction of the gear you want to select and the shifter just seeming to know where to go without you having to guide it into the gate. The MT-82 unit features this same mechanism. We tuned the spring back force by changing from softer to stiffer springs in the upper shifter assembly. The result of the tuning was a much more solid feel during gear changes. The shifts felt much more positive with the firmer springs than they did with the “looser” springs. Simply put, it makes the shifter feel like something that should be in a “man’s car.”

One place where MGW has gone far beyond what anyone else in the market offers is with the lower base assembly. As far as I’m aware, no other manufacturer replaces the stock piece along with its shortcomings. There are several areas of improvement in the MGW lower part versus the stock one. First, the supplied MGW rear support bracket which mounts to the lower assembly supplies infinitely more support to the shifter base than the stock soft rubber lined bracket. The soft stock bushing is largely responsible for the vague and rubbery feeling of the stock shifter and by using the dual pin design MGW has all but eliminated the movement in the shifter assembly. This means that when you move the shift handle all you are moving is said handle and gear selection mechanism. What the stock setup you were moving the entire base assembly.

Further, the MGW lower base replaces the flimsy stock main shaft bushings with much larger and firmer polyurethane bushings. This eliminates any deflection which may occur with the stock bushings which could potentially lead to difficulty finding the gates during shifting. With the new bushings and better support of the main shift shaft this deflection is essentially eliminated. This added support, along with the much improved design of the rear support bracket, work in concert to make hitting the wall between the gates much less likely. The solidifying of the entire shifter assembly results in a sizable uptick in the driving experience of the car. Further, it does all of this without introducing any more NVH than stock. In-fact, the MGW shifter may be even quieter than stock. MGW does not advertise their shifter as being even as quite as stock, so everyone may not experience the same level of NVH that we have observed.

All of this tuning and changing parts has really paid off. I know many on SVTP have become impatient with MGW and the time it has taken them to bring this shifter to market, it’s understandably frustrating. I can tell you however, that this shifter was definitely worth the wait. If you are looking for shorter throws, more positive engagement, more robust feel, and an all around high quality piece then MGW has the shifter for you. If I had to describe the MGW shifter inn only a few words, those words would be; solid, precise, over-engineered, and insanely better than stock. Ford engineers take note, this is how a Mustang shifter should feel.

MGW really knows how to make you feel welcome.

MGW-002-edit.jpg

Hardened stainless steel and billet aluminum are the materials of choice in the construction of MGW shifters.

MGW2-027-edit.jpg

Which rear support bracket do you suppose actually provides positive support to the lower shifter body?

MGW2-029-edit.jpg

Can you spot the differences in design philosophy?

MGW2-038-edit.jpg

A view of where the stock support link bracket mounts.

MGW2-065-edit.jpg

A longitudinal view.

MGW2-069-edit.jpg

Here you can see the pins that the rear support bracket rides on.

MGW2-093-edit.jpg

This thing just exudes quality.

MGW2-101-edit.jpg

You know you want this.

MGW2-105-edit.jpg

A little proof that MGW didn't just make a one-off shifter for SVTP.

MGW-018-edit.jpg

The wimpy stock reverse lock-out mechanism.

MGW2-025-edit.jpg

MGW's answer to the wimpy stock reverse lock-out mechanism.

MGW2-026-edit.jpg

Let's get the installation started. Oh man, does this thing ever suck.

MGW-136-edit.jpg

Don't forget to disconnect the electrical connector.

MGW-142-edit.jpg

Once the console is out of the way, this is what you find. Sadness.

MGW-140-edit.jpg

Get the stock sound deadening out of the way.

MGW-147-edit.jpg

Time to remove the poor fitting stock dust boot.

MGW-149-edit.jpg

There be the Debil.

MGW-151-edit.jpg

Insert funny drug reference to "getting high."

MGW-152-edit.jpg

Lots of fun things to work around here.

MGW-157-edit.jpg

Time to separate the upper and lower assemblies.

MGW-160-edit.jpg

The stock shifter base assembly has to be lowered in order to remove the final bolt.

MGW-162-edit.jpg

The rear support bracket is held on by two bolts.

MGW-166-edit.jpg

The stock rear support bracket is composed primarily of soft rubber, zip-ties, and fail.

MGW-167-edit.jpg

The MGW polyurethane bushings placed on the stock shift arm.

MGW-054-edit.jpg

The MGW lower base assembled around the stock shift arm.

MGW-062-edit.jpg

The plastic shift-cup is the only stock piece reused with the MGW kit.

MGW-063-edit.jpg

Time to install the upper shifter assembly onto the lower base assembly.

MGW-066-edit.jpg

Almost there.

MGW-072-edit.jpg

Next, we install the MGW dust boot and reinstall the stock sound deadening material.

MGW-084-edit.jpg

MGW even includes additional sound deadening.

MGW-089-edit.jpg

If you want the low-down on all the features of this shifter then look no further than these two videos. We go all in to bring you all the details that you won't find anywhere else.

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/NSOTbkTLC-s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/NSOTbkTLC-s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/WmLimZR9nyo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/WmLimZR9nyo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

For those of you wanting the real down and dirty on how to install this MGW product, you're in luck. SVTP has produced a series install videos with step-by-step instructions. Follow along as we install the MGW shifter for the MT-82 Transmission in a 2011 Mustang GT.

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oIVNih5gcx0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oIVNih5gcx0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Kmz9CW09Wwc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Kmz9CW09Wwc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/hMV4avDKB2s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/hMV4avDKB2s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Be sure to check out MGW's website : MGW LTD., INC. - Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, Camaro and Viper | CNC Machined and Turned Parts.

For ordering information call : 706.793.1770

Photos by StacyStangz

-SID297:beer:

NateV8

Established Member
I was extremely impressed with the quality of the MGW shifter when I got mine like 6 years ago. I'll definitely be getting one for my next car. MGW FTW.

GodStang

Established Member
Live 20mins from them. Gone to visit them some. They are some great people!! Have run into George a few times a local auto shows.

mramx390

Very nice indeed, how are all your MT82 transmissions holding up ? Problems abound on other forums so just curious. I ran into a guy with a 2011 5.0 manual at one of our local 1/8th mile tracks and raced him with my wife's 2011 automatic 5.0 and spanked him. Afterwards he told me he was on his 3rd tranny and the new one was startining to make noise like his previous transmissions did before they had to be replaced. He was pretty disgusted to say the least. He loved the car and the power of the new 5.0 but did not have kind words for the MT82.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Good video instruction and nice looking shifter! I like how you have two pins for the rear support to help control twisting. FWIW my MT-82 and shifter work incredibly well @ 5000 miles, but will still likely get a nicer shifter at some point.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
after seeing this, it makes me think the transmission problems we all hear about, derive from the stock shifter and not the transmission itself. My complaints for the mt-82 were always notchy shifting, mushy feel when putting the car in gear and of course 2-3 gear changes. Im on the boat for acquiring on of these shifters but id like to hear a few testimonials of others who have it installed and have had simular transmission problems as me.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
after seeing this, it makes me think the transmission problems we all hear about, derive from the stock shifter and not the transmission itself. My complaints for the mt-82 were always notchy shifting, mushy feel when putting the car in gear and of course 2-3 gear changes. Im on the boat for acquiring on of these shifters but id like to hear a few testimonials of others who have it installed and have had simular transmission problems as me.

The problems you mention are largely due to the slop engineered into the stock shifter.

MI GT

Established Member
Installed mine on Friday the 19th and have about 300 miles
with this shifter, absolutly perfect.
I have a Barton also and there is no comparison,Mgw shifts smoother
than the Barton and only slightly harder the OEM,and I mean only
slightly.
Throw is 3" ctc , Barton is 2.5" OEM is about 4" never really measured.
I hear a little more of gear whine, but I believe it is do to the rubber
dust boot being a little thinner,really a non issue.
I believe there is less felt vibration threw the handle.
Reverse is much easier engage.
As I said perfect.
If your thinking of a shifter, really concider one of these you will
not be sorry.

Jim

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Installed mine on Friday the 19th and have about 300 miles
with this shifter, absolutly perfect.
I have a Barton also and there is no comparison,Mgw shifts smoother
than the Barton and only slightly harder the OEM,and I mean only
slightly.
Throw is 3" ctc , Barton is 2.5" OEM is about 4" never really measured.
I hear a little more of gear whine, but I believe it is do to the rubber
dust boot being a little thinner,really a non issue.
I believe there is less felt vibration threw the handle.
Reverse is much easier engage.
As I said perfect.
If your thinking of a shifter, really concider one of these you will
not be sorry.

Jim

That's basically my experience as well.

Users who are viewing this thread