SVTPerformance.com Mustang GT Modding Chronicles : Mundane Mods

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SVTPerformance.com Mustang GT Modding Chronicles : Mundane Mods

DSC01706-edit.jpg

The first mod people usually make to their new vehicle is typically a small one. Well, I guess I’m going to be thoroughly ‘typical’ with this one. The first mod I made to the SVTP GT is a set of floormats and a trunk liner. It might not seem like much, but it means a lot to someone who lives at the beach and doesn’t want 20 pounds of sand buried in their carpet. That’s basically the situation I was facing.

When I first moved to Myrtle Beach, SC my neighbors told me that there were two things I was just going to have to deal with, ants and sand. I refuse to tolerate either. 100 pounds of granulated ant killer in the yard took care of the arthropod issue last year. That just left me with the sand. I’ll admit, you do have to live with a certain amount of grit. However, that doesn’t mean I have to like it or let it become a nuisance. So with a James May-esq sense of order I have set out to contain my silica based enemy, and my battle has been taken to the SVTP 2012 Mustang GT.

Unfortunately, the stock carpet mats leave a bit to be desired in the quality department.

DSC01698-edit.jpg

DSC01700-edit.jpg

That left us looking for another option. Though they may not always be the most fashionable accessory, a set of molded rubber floormats can certainly go a long way towards ensuring that your vehicle’s carpeting maintains its factory fresh appearance for years to come. With that in mind we quickly perused the Ford Accessories catalog and found a set made specifically for our GT. For those interested the part number is BR3Z-6313300-A.

DSC01703-edit.jpg

They are molded from a heavy dark gray/black rubber and have a design that incorporates both the iconic “Pony” logo and some of the honeycomb styling cues from the grill. The mats are fairly heavy duty, very well made, and perfectly follow the contour of the floor for maximum carpet protection. I’m very please how well they fit and the look really compliments the rest of the car. The rear mats will see far less use than the fronts, but they are just as well constructed. I know this style of mat isn’t for everyone, but I really like them for my purposes.

DSC01704-edit.jpg

DSC01705-edit.jpg

DSC01706-edit.jpg

DSC01711-edit.jpg

DSC01713-edit.jpg

DSC01714-edit.jpg

DSC01715-edit.jpg

This leads me to the next area of the car that could use a little protection from dirt and grime, the trunk. Since this car will be used as a test bed for many projects to come it’s pretty safe to assume that there will be a lot of tools and used parts placed into said trunk in the months to come. The scant piece of carpeting provided by Ford doesn’t stand nary a chance of surviving a few grease clean-ups. However, once again Ford Accessories has the solution to that particular problem. It’s a molded rubber trunk liner, part number AR3Z-6111600-AA.

DSC01716-edit.jpg

DSC01721-edit.jpg

Similar to the floormats up front, the trunk liner design also incorporates both the “Pony” logo and the honeycomb cues from the grill. I have a cargo area liner similar to this one in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Surprisingly, though not inappropriately I suppose, the Mopar Accessory one in the Jeep is better constructed and molded than the Mustang part. However, it would be proper to assume that one for an off-road equipped SUV would need to be heavier than one for a pony car.

That minor quibble aside, the part fits the contours of the trunk pretty well. It’s not perfect though. Due to be packed by rolling it and placing it into a small rectangular box there are some creases in the drip edges of the liner. This can easily be fixed with the application of a little heat to the problem areas. I feel that if you actually plan on using the trunk of your Mustang to haul items, especially dirty ones, this trunk liner is indispensable. It doesn’t look too bad either.

DSC01725-edit.jpg

DSC01728-edit.jpg

If you guys like to use your car, but want it to remain clean for years to come, you definitely need to check out these parts.

Cheers:beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
nice, those are good looking mats! throw the trunk mat in your driveway in the sun for half a day and it should flatten out.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Not sure what I would do without the instruction sheet for those LOL!!!

On another note, The bottle has been un-corked! Happy Modding!

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Very nice mats, but, IMO, I like cloth mats in a car and use rubber mats for Trucks/SUVs.

I wouldn't mind the one for the trunk, though...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not sure what I would do without the instruction sheet for those LOL!!!

On another note, The bottle has been un-corked! Happy Modding!

I was totally lost until I found that piece of paper. But with the instructions I was finished with the install in less than 3 hours.

Very nice mats, but, IMO, I like cloth mats in a car and use rubber mats for Trucks/SUVs.

I figured that would be most people's opinion, but I just couldn't deal with constantly having to clean out sand.

wcjr

Established Member

I have ford rubber mats in my DD 08 Bullitt and love them....to each his own I guess

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i put cheap old people clear plastic ones over my factory mats. Saves the factory ones for carshows and they pull right out.

20zx6r07

Established Member
I just bought those same mats, they came FedEx today. I haven't seen the trunk mat though, I'll have to look into that.

sicfast

Established Member
i personally can't stand rubber mats, but i do understand the trade-off you made. the mojave desert is just as bad as far as sand is concerned, only ours is more like a talcum powder. btw, can you bottle some of that new car smell and sell it to me?

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
Thats all true being in MB. Good thing I don't live right on the beach, but close enough to enjoy it whenever I want. The ants still bother you here to though.

meajas12

Established Member
I just put some weathertech liners in my GT500. The front mats are very nice, but the rear mats don't fit quite right.

Users who are viewing this thread