SVTP Previews the Magnuson 4.6 3V Supercharger System

After the success we have experienced with the 2.3L Magnuson supercharger kit on the 5.0 Coyote Powered SVTP GT we we’re really excited to get a chance to work with its little brother. Magnuson’s MP1900 TVS Supercharger Kit for 2007-2009 S197 Mustangs with the 4.6L 3V V8 is a truly impressive looking system. The 1900 TVS blower features Eaton’s latest 6th Generation supercharger rotor technology, which can also be found in 2013-14 SVT Mustang GT500 5.8L Trinity engine. Eaton’s TVS technology consists of a pair of four-lobe, high-helix rotors with 160-degrees of overall twist. This results in a supercharger that requires less power to drive, delivers cooler discharge temperatures, and is much quieter than many of its competitors. Magnuson claims this 1.9L blower can add an additional 140 horsepower and 120 foot-pounds of torque at the rear wheels @ 7 psi. As is common with positive displacement blowers and their nearly always available boost, power under the curve is significantly increased.

The kit features a large liquid-to-air intercooler to keep intake air temperatures typically only 20-40 degrees over the ambient air temperatures. As with all Magnuson supercharger kits this one includes everything you need down to the smallest bolt. It’s also shipped as an assembly with the supercharger, supercharger intake manifold, inlet, pulley, fuel injectors, fuel rails, front and rear fuel crossovers, and intercooler coming pre-assembled to make installation simple and easy. Even the ancillary components are organized into individual sub-assemblies to make keeping track of the parts simpler. Complimenting their OEM level of quality, Magnuson includes a Ford sourced a GT500 Throttle Body, GT500 Air Intake, and GT500 Air Box. As with our 5.0 kit, the full color step-by-step installation instructions are easy to follow and very thorough. Magnuson backs their kits with a 3-year/36,000 mile warranty, and even offers an optional 3-years/36,000 mile powertrain warranty to give you up to $5,000 of protection on the motor, $1,500 on the transmission, and $1,500 on the rear-end of your Mustang.

The intercooler core is large unit that takes up all the extra space in the the engine valley.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_001.jpg

The intake plenum is is a wide-open casting designed to accept the GT500 throttle body that is included in the kit.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_002.jpg

The boost by-pass valve allows the engine to not experience boost until it's needed. This helps reduce stress on the engine and increases fuel mileage.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_003.jpg

The supercharger is shipped as an assembly so you don't have to worry about assembling the fuel injectors and rails.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_004.jpg

The IAT sensor is relocated to one of the manifold runners. Each blower is fully inspected and tested before being shipped out.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_005.jpg

All of the castings are thick and very high quality.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_006.jpg

Magnuson machines in slots to make use of the stock o-ring style intake manifold gaskets, a great choice IMO.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_010.jpg

These indentations are molded into the lower manifold allow for proper clearance around the knock sensors and other components. We removed the lower manifold bolts to do a little experiment.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_011.jpg

The intercooler included with the 4.6 kit is very similar to the one found in Magnuson's 5.0 kit, fairly thin but with a huge amount of surface area.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_007.jpg

All of the hoses and hardware are chosen to make the install as simple and clean as possible.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_008.jpg

Magnuson's kits are nothing if not thorough. They even include an SCT tuner.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_009.jpg

Now for the fun part; I'm excited to say we have very different plans for this kit than Magnuson ever intended it to be used for. Next week we'll be posting the first in a series of articles where we will be covering the install of this 1.9L supercharger system on my daily driver 2009 Ford Explorer V8. I know you have to be a little sick in the head to want to boost a V8 DD SUV, but when I saw this Magnuson system I knew I had to have it. What do you guys think; good idea or a great idea?

We have a lot of work ahead of us.

Magnuson_4.6_Lots_O_Work_001.jpg

Special Thanks To:

Magnuson Superchargers

Photos by StacyStangz

-SID297:beer:

How tall is the set-up from the head mounting surface to the top of the blower, this looks to be a nice low-profile kit. Thinking for guys like me using a 3V in a custom application where hood clearance is an issue.

How long will we wait for pricing to be released?

You can buy one just like this right now from your favorite Magnuson dealer. I think they retail for about $6,000, but I'm sure some of our SVTP Vendors can do better than that.

How tall is the set-up from the head mounting surface to the top of the blower, this looks to be a nice low-profile kit. Thinking for guys like me using a 3V in a custom application where hood clearance is an issue.

I don't know an exact measurement, but I don't think it's any taller than the stock manifold.

That would be awesome if it is same as the stock manifold, my issue is most positive displacement set-ups run 2"+ taller than stock making fitting them under my Falcon hood next to impossible. If it is possible for someone to verify the dimension it would be greatly appreciated.

You got the Mustang Week preview.:beer:

Yes I did......don't tell my wife, but seeing it then helped me in making the decision to pick up a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 3V 4.6L.......hehehehehe :beer:

Can you PM me the final #s you made before you announce it? I may seriously look into getting one of these soon for hers.

8.5" from head mounting surface to highest point on top of mainfold.

I believe it may actually be less than that. I'll try to get a measurement on it tomorrow.

Yes I did......don't tell my wife, but seeing it then helped me in making the decision to pick up a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 3V 4.6L.......hehehehehe :beer:

Can you PM me the final #s you made before you announce it? I may seriously look into getting one of these soon for hers.

You never know, with enough interest Magnuson may try to make a tuner kit for the Explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread