SVTP, Help me!

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I have a 5 acre retention pond I need to have cleaned. It's never been cleaned and starting to show signs of algae and who knows what's in it after these 2 recent hurricanes. About how much should I expect to pay to have it cleaned? I know nothing about this.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
My brother has a rather large overgrown pond that we researched putting grass carp into as they eat everything. We never actually did it but it may be worth looking into as an all natural solution. I would also look into aerators or fountains as @HEMIHUNTER said to keep the water moving.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My friend has pond like this, and I believe he got Tilapia to keep it clean. I don’t see him much anymore as he hasn’t been around due to his diabetes.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Talapia. Also looks like you are experiencing nitrification. Do you use heavy fertilizers?

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

GodStang

Established Member
Depends what you mean by cleaned out. IF you just mean Algae we used grass carp and during the winter we would lower the overflow level to drain the pond level down a few feet. This would kill all the algae (sea weed) around the edges. This also allows you to inspect docks and any other items. This also made all the fish go to the center to make it easier to bass fish in the winter.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Sadly one of the ponds on the creek I grew up on was a private swimming pond with all these slides and diving boards. They did bleach their pond water.
Wow wtf...some of the lakes up here use a chemical to kill weeds that doesn't harm the fish but I don't know what it is. NY DEC uses it in some the smaller finger lakes...works pretty good what ever it is

Zemedici

Established Member
thanks for the info guys. this thread lets me know how little I know on the subject

nothing wrong with learning something. I learn shit everyday.

The day you stop wanting to expand your knowledge as a whole is the day you may as well die.

I'd start with fish if it were mine.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
If the retention pond is part of a construction/development project whatever environmental agency might have requirements for maintenance. If a permit was involved by a state(most cases) or local agency you might want to start with finding out what that permit requires. Things like pumping out the water to do maintenance might have rules involving how the water is discharged or proof that is is free from pollutants. Some require the removal and proper disposal of the sediment that has accumulated which is the normal function of a retention pond. Just be sure what regulations are before you start fines can be very nasty. I deal with this as part of my job. I frequently deal with the Environmental Management Division on new construction.

Users who are viewing this thread