SVTP collective brain power required. Vibration issue after CV change on 11 EcoBoost F150

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I'm helping my brother fix his truck ASAP. I've already searched around. 2011 F150 Platinum, 3.5, 82k. Full Livernois kit on it, truck is a beast. Stock wheels/tires/suspension. His driver side axle was starting to click and bind up so he bought a new half shaft from NAPA. He installed it and somehow the seal in the diff came out during his install and he didn't realize it. He noticed it checking for leaks his test drive. He removed everything but couldn't get the seal back in.

He calls me, I drive out and install the seal. Put everything back together, we drive it for 20 minutes, runs great.

Next day, 30 minutes into his work commute he starts to get a vibration from the driverside front, he can feel it in the steering wheel. I suggest returning the NAPA part and getting a new one from Ford. He did that, and installed it. Same problem, 20-30 minutes into driving he starts to get a vibration that you can feel in the steering wheel. I told him to feel around and see if anything is hot. He says nothing is hot.

I'm thinking maybe he lost more fluid than he thinks, the stuff that did leak out didn't even look like diff fluid, it was more of a white/yellow lube.

Any thoughts?

MG0h3

Established Member
Is it possible it was just aerated diff fluid that looked white/yellow?

If it was thicker than diff fluid I'd think it was the cv axle grease.

Either way, usually if something is ****ed up after you worked on it...well..

The fact that you got a new axle and the problem reoccurred makes me think you may be right. May have lost more fluid than he thought and cooked something. You should hear it as well though I would think.

What's odd is that it takes 20-30min to develop.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
He can hear and feel it. Says once it starts, it feels like there's drag. Similar to driving with 4wd engaged. I told him to put half a pint of diff fluid in and see what changes.

Airated fluid being what I saw sounds possible.

MG0h3

Established Member
Other than some weird brake issue starting I'd suspect that he cooked something in the diff. Usually you can just smell the fluid and you'll know.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
It's tough because I didn't see everything first hand, but the time spent driving with the seal out was supposedly rather short. On a level surface I just can't imagine a significant amount of diff fluid working it's way out. And there was no oil spray under there, like you would see if it was flinging out everywhere at speed.

I think I'm going to have him put the original shaft back in and see what happens.

MG0h3

Established Member
I was curious too about what kind of mess you saw. I'd think the underside of the truck would be a disaster if he lost enough fluid to cook something.

I just find the vibration after 20-30 min. odd. Are we sure it isnt' just when he gets to a certain speed or type of road?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Check the front driveshaft. There is a cv type joint on them, and the grease inside is a light yellow color.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Progress.

After a few hours of testing and Google-Fu. Seems that it's an issue with the IWE system. The vacuum system Ford uses to lock actuators at the hub on each front wheel. In the air, running, in park, the passenger side wheel spins without turning the CV Axle. But the driver side is engaged.

For now, I concluded that when my brother had the suspension hanging on the driver side during the install, he either disconnected or damaged the vacuum line to the actuator on the driver side. As for the noise taking 20-30 minutes to start, I'm guessing the bearing inside the diff didn't like turning without the 4wd engaged spinning the ring and pinion and throwing gear lube everywhere that is needed.

This has some pics, anyone with a 09-16 F150 should check this out, seems to be a "common" problem.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2014-F150IWE-Problems-and-Fixes.html

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Progress.

After a few hours of testing and Google-Fu. Seems that it's an issue with the IWE system. The vacuum system Ford uses to lock actuators at the hub on each front wheel. In the air, running, in park, the passenger side wheel spins without turning the CV Axle. But the driver side is engaged.

For now, I concluded that when my brother had the suspension hanging on the driver side during the install, he either disconnected or damaged the vacuum line to the actuator on the driver side. As for the noise taking 20-30 minutes to start, I'm guessing the bearing inside the diff didn't like turning without the 4wd engaged spinning the ring and pinion and throwing gear lube everywhere that is needed.

This has some pics, anyone with a 09-16 F150 should check this out, seems to be a "common" problem.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2014-F150IWE-Problems-and-Fixes.html

It's common among older models too, I just replaced the entire drivers side hub/actuator assembly and the IWE solenoid on my 2006 Expedition.

Users who are viewing this thread