SVT Supplement says Fuel Cutoff @ 7000 rpms

Black Cobra

Established Member
OK, where is that guy that said he was going to test the rev limiter leaving out of the dealership's lot?

The brochure that you can download from svt.ford.com says that the fuel cutoff is at 6500 rpm same as redline. However, the Owner's Guide Supplement specific to the 2003 Cobra (page 8) says that the fuel cutoff is 7000 rpms.

So which is it? I'm still about 850 miles away from probing the redline myself.

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
I say you just go and hit it now! and ask question later of course!

I did it 15 miles driving up in my new 2000 SVT Contour...didnt hurt a thing, and I grabbed a 15.1 out of it stock! (Suppose to be like a mid 15), so I know beating the crap out of it was a help!:beer:

verbs

Banned
After seeing a few dynos where people hit the rev-limiter I'd say 6500rpm....it even seemed like on a few of them they cut off even earlier at around 6300rpm.....

:shrug:

NXCobra

Established Member
70 miles on the clock and its hit the limiter a few times. I cannot say exactly what the RPM's were, it came up too quick.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
If my memory serves me correctly, 7000 RPM was the shut off for the 2001s (redline was 6800). Could be they forgot to change the number in the '03 manual. (Just like they forgot to change the shipping weight on my title, which says 3322 lbs, which is to the pound what my '01 was.)

Black Cobra

Established Member
Black2001Cobra, You are probably right about them not updating the numbers from 2001. I just can't see any point in having the redline and fuel cut off being the same. Perhaps a few hundred rpms more for the cut off like the '96-'01s.

We have seen several dynos that drop off right around 6500 rpms. Were they backing out of the throttle themselves at redline or were they hitting the limiter?

Steeda's Dyno suggest that the fuel cutoff might be between 6600 and 6700 rpms. Looks like power starts to really drop off at 6600 rpms.

attachment.php

nsreed

Established Member
6500 rpm

Yep, mine shuts down at 6500. But since I changed the exhaust tonight ( FR-500), I can't get over how much better it runs. It flows so smooth. It ran great before but for what ever reason since it breaths better now, it is easier to drive. Your are getting up to speed so much faster now in each gear, you don't push it to the shut off point.

Black Cobra

Established Member
nsreed, are you planning on having your car dynoed? I think you would be the first one to dyno with the FR500 exhaust. Have you done the K&N Filter and Air Silencer removal yet?

Users who are viewing this thread