SVT GT500 repair in SE WI

torysolheim

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I recently had a mechanical issue with my 2011 GT500. What sounded initially like exhaust rubbing the frame within minutes became louder and louder while I shut down the car. I have not had a chance to deep dive it yet as I have been working all week. It sounds like a bearing or rod has potentially failed (loud clanks when I restarted it after being towed ran it for maybe 5 seconds.) I thought possibly head gasket but there was no white smoke and I did not see any oil in the coolant system.

I am going to pull the plugs (and check them) and crank it over by hand to see if I can narrow down the area of the issue this weekend. Will also do a compression check on each cylinder.

Once I narrow it down I would like to get it brought to a shop as with two kids this may be too large of a project for me to take on in my spare time without a lift. Can anyone recommend a shop in SE Wisconsin that can work on these models?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS has very common bolt on mods:
Long tube headers to X-pipe to Borla
JLT intake
2.6" pulley
Bama tunes that was data logged and safe tune only about 1.5k miles ago

Thank you.
Tory

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Have you checked the easy stuff, like under the hood to see if you've got a belt/balancer/pulley/accessory causing the noise? I hope it's something cheap and easy, because loud banging can be a bad sign. Get out your flashlight and look around the engine compartment before you do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread