SVT Dealer

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
I dont know if anyones gonna read this, nor do I know if anyones gonna care, but I was bored yesterday while out of town with my girlfriend and we hit up an SVT ford dealer and as soon as I stepped on the lot I had a salesman pounce. He seemed like a nice guy, first thing he asked was if I showed up to check out the sale, I told him no and said I was bored, then asked where the cobras were if they had any left. He got all giddy and told me they had one inside on the floor.

I walked in and it was the green/purple color changing dealie convert with leather and whatnot. he said it had 60 miles on it, someone bought it and took it back. anyway, I checked it out, paint was beautiful, but not my style, interior was kinda what I expected, I dont like converts, but anyway, I go look under the hood and he starts askin what I drove there, starts tellin me how fast it was and how he got to drive it and it was crazy fast and was waaaay faster than my car...not like its untrue, but for all he knew I had an AGP kit in my srt and was pushin over 400hp. but I digress.

I asked him about the warranty and doing a pulley swap and stuff and this is where he got strange, this is kinda how it went.

"pulley? no man, ford designed this engine to optimal performance, you cant do any better than that, believe me, this thing is faaast, once you drive it you'll know, you wont want to try to change anything."

then I asked about the blower, and I mentioned kenne bell and whipple. he looked even more confused when he said,

"no, you cant do that, that blower ford put on there is top of the line and maxed out, ford designed the engine around that blower, you wouldn't wanna go with anything else."

I was done with engine talk at this point and asked about the new cobra and he looked kinda perplexed and said "no, they shut down the svt plants, this is the last cobra youre gonna be able to buy. in 08 they're talking about a shelby, but no more cobras, those plants are shut down." I just told him I hadn't heard that, but that I was ready to go, he then directed me to one other cobra, which was across the street, and it was lowered, silver, and had different wheels. I drove over there to find a silver 04 V6 mustang on 05 wheels, so I left.

if anyone actually read any of this crap, comments? that is all.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
I neve go to the dealer, they never know what the hell they are talking about. Nice SRT-4 by the way. Alot of guys on here dont care for them but I have a lot of respect for them. Nice car

ModsAway

Established Member
Good story, I am constantly dissapointed by salesman's lack of mechanical knowledge. I always get the "what the hell is up with this guy" look when I crawl on the showroom floor to look under the car(s) I am considering buying.

At the end of the day just debate the price with the guy because thats all he knows about, ignore all the rest of his "sales tactics" such as your example of "this thing is faaast".

TTA89

Established Member
Salesman are not car people. They SELL... Be it Cars, Vacumn cleaners or insurance. It doesn't matter and they don't have to know about the cars. You and Me are .1% of the car buying public. Nobody else asks those questions and those guys don't get the "car thing".

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
slowneon said:
I dont know if anyones gonna read this, nor do I know if anyones gonna care, but I was bored yesterday while out of town with my girlfriend and we hit up an SVT ford dealer and as soon as I stepped on the lot I had a salesman pounce. He seemed like a nice guy, first thing he asked was if I showed up to check out the sale, I told him no and said I was bored, then asked where the cobras were if they had any left. He got all giddy and told me they had one inside on the floor.

I walked in and it was the green/purple color changing dealie convert with leather and whatnot. he said it had 60 miles on it, someone bought it and took it back. anyway, I checked it out, paint was beautiful, but not my style, interior was kinda what I expected, I dont like converts, but anyway, I go look under the hood and he starts askin what I drove there, starts tellin me how fast it was and how he got to drive it and it was crazy fast and was waaaay faster than my car...not like its untrue, but for all he knew I had an AGP kit in my srt and was pushin over 400hp. but I digress.

I asked him about the warranty and doing a pulley swap and stuff and this is where he got strange, this is kinda how it went.

"pulley? no man, ford designed this engine to optimal performance, you cant do any better than that, believe me, this thing is faaast, once you drive it you'll know, you wont want to try to change anything."

then I asked about the blower, and I mentioned kenne bell and whipple. he looked even more confused when he said,

"no, you cant do that, that blower ford put on there is top of the line and maxed out, ford designed the engine around that blower, you wouldn't wanna go with anything else."

I was done with engine talk at this point and asked about the new cobra and he looked kinda perplexed and said "no, they shut down the svt plants, this is the last cobra youre gonna be able to buy. in 08 they're talking about a shelby, but no more cobras, those plants are shut down." I just told him I hadn't heard that, but that I was ready to go, he then directed me to one other cobra, which was across the street, and it was lowered, silver, and had different wheels. I drove over there to find a silver 04 V6 mustang on 05 wheels, so I left.

if anyone actually read any of this crap, comments? that is all.

were you at Barber Ford in Ventura?

Tom

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
no, atascadero. Yeah, I agree that they are salesmen to the truest form, but it would be refreshing to run into a salesman who actually knows a thing or two about the products he sells. The guy I bought my car from was so kick back and kinda felt out my knowledge before sharing his, turned out he knew more about the SRT lineup than I did, it was a pleasure buying from him and I was very glad I walked away from my local dodge dealer when the guy told me it had a V6...Thanks for the compliments too!

I grew up in Atascadero, so I hate to bash on anyone there, but after this salesman encounter I went to get gas and had fun with the attendant there. It wouldnt take my new credit card so I went inside and the guy said I probably went over my limit, I insisted no, its new with a pretty high limit, I'd used it once before (at a gas station that morning so they red flagged it, I later learned, cause it was suspicious activity). His next idea as to why it wasn't working made me bite my tongue so hard soas not to laugh in his face, but he looked at the card and said "oh, citibank, yeah they just got robbed yesterday a block over. Its been all over the news, didn't you see? thats probably why its not working." My jaw about dropped, but I kept my cool and he ran it a third time and it took. good tymes.

Last edited:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Some of us old car guys sell 'em too. I did, for about 8 years. Got tired of the BS. The SVT stores around here have some knowledgeable folks pimpin' their stock.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
There are a few exceptions. I ran into a knowledgeable salesman at a Ford dealer a few years back, fellow NRA Life member. Could answer all my questions. Bought several cars from him at that dealership, and followed him when he jumped to a different dealership. Dealers: If you have someone like this, give him/her a raise and keep them. I've bought 7 cars from this fellow over the past 5 or so years because he knows what's up and I trust him.

Users who are viewing this thread