SVT Bilstein suspension rebuild?

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Hi all,
I’m coming up on 83,000 pretty hard miles on my shelby. It’s definitely feeling a lot looser and wallows more than when I started daily driving it around 40,000 or so.

I’m still under factory warranty but am assuming getting Ford to cover the shocks and struts and springs would be hard since they won’t drive it to the point where it’s noticeably all over the place (bad roads / expressway lane changes etc).

so my question is has anyone had any experience getting the bilsteins that come with the performance pack with the “damptronic” rebuilt?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Your factory warranty is long expired, not to mention those components are normal wear items. You'd have to refer to your extended warranty coverage if that's what you're referring to. As far as I know, most Bilstein shocks can be rebuilt but I doubt it's worth the cost over new dampers. They may not be as bad off as you think. I'd look at mushy rubber bushings on control arms and sway bars, sway bar end links, ball joints and tie rod ends that are 8 years old with high mileage and their effect on your loose suspension. If your car bounces down the road, then maybe your shocks and struts are toast.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Your factory warranty is long expired, not to mention those components are normal wear items. You'd have to refer to your extended warranty coverage if that's what you're referring to. As far as I know, most Bilstein shocks can be rebuilt but I doubt it's worth the cost over new dampers. They may not be as bad off as you think. I'd look at mushy rubber bushings on control arms and sway bars, sway bar end links, ball joints and tie rod ends that are 8 years old with high mileage and their effect on your loose suspension. If your car bounces down the road, then maybe your shocks and struts are toast.
Exactly, ESP I just got all of it at purchase and maxed it out basically. I gotta get under the car and take a look at what everything’s looking like. From what I can get to without it being in the air I’m not seeing any outwardly worn components but worth a check for bushings and the like. ESP level I got has “adaptive suspension” and “technology package” in it for that level so I’m hoping that’s vague enough to cover individual components! Looks like it’s about 350$ for each new damptronic component so that might be the way to go too. I’ve seen on the bmw forums they’ve had them done by bilstein but the models are different so not gonna try to take that price as a data point.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Exactly, ESP I just got all of it at purchase and maxed it out basically... ESP level I got has “adaptive suspension” and “technology package” in it for that level so I’m hoping that’s vague enough to cover individual components!
According to the atchd info I received when I bought ESP PremiumCARE plan, coverage was available for "for up to 7 years or 125,000 miles." According to my contract, "Coverage BEGINS at the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Start Date... Coverage ENDS at THE EARLIER OF the Number of Months Purchased or the Number of Miles/Hours purchased from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Start Date..." Assuming your car is a 2013, as implied by your username, even 7-year coverage should have expired by now. Also, note that the second page lists "shock absorbers" under "Owner Maintenance Requirements," indicating they're unlikely to be covered. Good luck!

Attachments

• Ford ESP PremiumCARE.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 121

Blkblk13car

Established Member
So mine expires 2023 /123,999 miles (had a heart attack and just pulled up the policy!) I see I’m guessing I saw the Mcphearson strut coverage and in my head assumed it was also these (they cover all the air suspension stuff which is interesting). I figured I’d have to be replacing and I know there’s the aftermarket bilsteins but I really like the adaptability.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you have a 13-14 with the Performance Pack those dampers are way more than $350. I'd be interested in hearing how your efforts go with warranty coverage on them. I doubt it.

Tom

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
If you have a 13-14 with the Performance Pack those dampers are way more than $350.
According to TascaParts, #DR3Z-18125-E (replaced #DR3Z-18125-C) is the "Left, Right" "Shock, Shock Absorber Assembly" for "Mustang. With svt performance pkg. Shelby gt500, coupe, with svt pkg." While MSRP is $483.20/ea, Tasca's "sale" price is $262.20/ea.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
That is a smoking deal. I don't use Tasca.

Auto Nation shows retail as $717 and discounted price of $408. If that $262 is correct and they are available, everyone should order a set. Interestingly, it does have a different part number for convertible and coupe PP.

This was for a 2014.

Tom

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
That is a smoking deal. I don't use Tasca.

Auto Nation shows retail as $717 and discounted price of $408. If that $262 is correct and they are available, everyone should order a set. Interestingly, it does have a different part number for convertible and coupe PP.
I usually check prices at Tasca and AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake. FWIW, it looks like they've changed a little from what I found last week, with AutoNation now showing $262/ea and Tasca down to $253/ea.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
It sounds like whoever sold you the ESP added it to your first three years of factory warranty, instead of setting it to run concurrently. (That's a good deal for you!) What was your car's "in-service" date?
So I got the car at 40,000 miles (cool thing was I knew the owner the entire time so We we’re very familiar with the car) I got the warranty then through a dealership up north and that was the max I could extend to. It’s been great, I’ve gotten the value back at least 6 times over by now!

I really am not too adverse to replacing the whole suspension to new OEM. I’m guessing it’s the struts, the springs, maybe a better sway bar, and whatever else would bring it back to “new”. I’m coming out of law school finally so I figure it’s gonna be much cheaper to slowly refresh the shelby then go and do the 1st year attorney luxury lease

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I usually check prices at Tasca and AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake. FWIW, it looks like they've changed a little from what I found last week, with AutoNation now showing $262/ea and Tasca down to $253/ea.

Thats a great price for an adjustable strut that Ford will eventually discontinue and then you are SOL for a replacement. At that price, it seems worth buying a set to have on the shelf.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
Thats a great price for an adjustable strut that Ford will eventually discontinue and then you are SOL for a replacement. At that price, it seems worth buying a set to have on the shelf.

Tom

I know this is a fate every vehicle will suffer eventually, but I am curious and a mildly worried what happens when we are looking at when Trinity GT500s approach what is considered "old" in age, or around two decades I'd wager. The Bilstein Damptronic shocks incorporate electronics and aren't something that has an Autozone replacement. This won't be a problem for people that mod their cars, but this will be a headache for people trying to go as stock as possible such as how we see with those '60s-'70s numbers matching muscle cars with the owner's manual still in the shipping plastic.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Good news is bilstein can rebuild them, they rebuild German cars all the time but the engine block with the plasma lining I’m not so sure. Mine is daily driven and it’s never going to be worth a ton so for me it’s not a big deal but for those trying to go showroom condition it’ll be a headache

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
For the prices listed above it’s probably better to get a whole new set.
Like many ‘13-14 special items, it might be good to buy them now if this is a keeper car to you.
Still I’d call and confirm they’re actually available at that price, not just listed.
I know of 2 options for Bilstein rebuilds if you want to go that way to.
-J

Blkblk13car

Established Member
For the prices listed above it’s probably better to get a whole new set.
Like many ‘13-14 special items, it might be good to buy them now if this is a keeper car to you.
Still I’d call and confirm they’re actually available at that price, not just listed.
I know of 2 options for Bilstein rebuilds if you want to go that way to.
-J
Right now it’s at dealer for steering rack (steering started going out) and I’m thinking I’ll have a whole new set put on while it’s there and save my originals just in case. Looking forward to feeling a new car (though is there any other components I should look at changing out?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well it’ll be like a new car with a new rack and dampers. While you’re doing those, I’d inspect all the suspension bushings and tie rod ends. Last thought would be doing springs and if you ever wanted to, this is the time.
-J

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Ended up ordering full set of bilsteins from Ford after they changed my steering rack. Theyre built to order but front and rears came in at 1200$ so I’m thrilled.

Users who are viewing this thread