Suspension upgrade question

Northern98

Established Member
This winter I'm going to go through and figure out which bushings have dried out from the car sitting a lot and figured I'd put in some lowering springs with new shocks/struts. I dont want to go too low since the roads in northern michigan aren't real forgiving. Anyone have experience with koni sport shocks/struts kit with the eibach springs? I'm pretty limited on good alignment shops here so i dont want to get real crazy with it. Also it feels pretty clunky in the rear, I assume upgrading the quad shocks to koni's or bilsteins would help? Thanks for any input.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
This winter I'm going to go through and figure out which bushings have dried out from the car sitting a lot and figured I'd put in some lowering springs with new shocks/struts. I dont want to go too low since the roads in northern michigan aren't real forgiving. Anyone have experience with koni sport shocks/struts kit with the eibach springs? I'm pretty limited on good alignment shops here so i dont want to get real crazy with it. Also it feels pretty clunky in the rear, I assume upgrading the quad shocks to koni's or bilsteins would help? Thanks for any input.
If you're getting a clunky feeling, I'd check all the control arm bushings as well as the bushings that are pressed into the differential housing. I don't have any experience with springs except Ford Racing, but I've heard good things about Eibach suspension components.

DaveWertz

Established Member
I have koni gas shocks with the eibach sportline setup and UPR upper and lower control arms. I absolutely love it! I handles like its on rails. No body roll at all, car is planted. Along with 315's out back and 275s up front I couldn't be happier. If you are looking for any type of comfort though, stay away. I live on a back road, so some of the smallest of bumps feels like you just did a dismount off a 5ft jump. For straight handling I give it a A-.. If you plan on drag racing, id say go with a different setup...

Northern98

Established Member
Replaced the quad shocks and it definitely tightened up the rear. Also it amplified how bad the ball joints are. I just went with the MM suspension kit. I was really excited to put in the mgw shifter I got today until I popped off the shifter bezel and saw an orange block with mgw etched on it. I'm afraid to see what else I try and replace that I was told is stock as well.

Northern98

Established Member
Just went with the starter box for now. Thinking about replacing the front control arms as well since it needs ball joints. My new clutch is backordered so I'm trying to wait on spending a bunch in case there's any unexpected transmission costs.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you get the suspension kit installed?

Northern98

Established Member
Not yet. It was on backorder and should be here in a couple of days. New clutch and flywheel are finally in so I'm trying to get the break-in done before it arrives.

Northern98

Established Member
If you are installing a whole MM kit, don't forget the coilovers up front and panhard bar too!
I ended up talked to a tech there and decided to wait on the coilovers for when I put on a supercharger, but did add the panhard bar and full length subframe connectors. Should I leave the new quad shocks on it still until I get the torque arm and rear control arms later? I forgot to ask them about it.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I ended up talked to a tech there and decided to wait on the coilovers for when I put on a supercharger, but did add the panhard bar and full length subframe connectors. Should I leave the new quad shocks on it still until I get the torque arm and rear control arms later? I forgot to ask them about it.

Those are great additions.

I would leave them on. They don't do a lot, but do enough to keep in place until you get the torque arm. You'll be getting different rear springs with the TA kit.

You are well on your way to a nice riding and capable suspension setup.

Northern98

Established Member
Okay awesome, I bought new ones right before I decided to get the kit. I'm really excited for the suspension. I built the engine on my old 94 gt and it got wrecked before I got to the suspension so I'm ready to see how sn95s handle with it upgraded.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
For a street car, with an emphasis on ride and handling, you would be best served by sticking with Maximum Motorsports.

I could be wrong, but I think Team Z is geared more towards drag racing. I understand that they have great stuff, it's just a different focus and use.

Northern98

Established Member
Well I started to install the caster/camber plates and forgot to measure the stock height before I started so I'll get the plates and struts installed, check it, and then install the springs. I need to pick up a better drill bit and I'll finish it up in the next couple of days and post the results.

Northern98

Established Member
Got the springs in. 1 1/4" drop in the front and 3/4" drop in the rear. Alignment is next tuesday and I'll see how it handles. I didnt have room to install the subframe connectors and panhard bar so I'll get those put in when I take it downstate for a baseline dyno run after winter.

Users who are viewing this thread