Suspension Setup Help

Chris K

Established Member
Whats up guys. So i want to start doing suspension on my car. I have a $1400 budget right now. I dont know if i should go with Coilovers or just do Koni Yelllows and some MM Springs. Everyone says a different thing when i ask, but hopefuly i can get some good opinons in here. Please help me out and let me know what you think i should do. Thanks

Lemonth

Established Member
I would personally suggest wheels/tires before shocks. I currently have Koni yellows with Ford Racing springs and they're great but if I had the choice again I would go with a good set of coilovers. It depends on what you're planning on doing with your car.

Chris K

Established Member
So the reason I'm starting my suspension setup is because I'm with my motor and I just ordered CCW Wheels 18x10.5 all around and I'm going to run R888's. So now I need to get some suspension parts. Basically I'm going to take the car to the track a couple times a year, but I want it to handle like a beast on the streets. I don't know what setup to do tho.

bullet3z

Established Member
The suspension route is a slippery slope. I started looking much like you are now. Then quite a bit of money later, I am some what finished. Right now Koni is doing their annual sale. Plus Autoanything has the Bilstein shocks and struts on sale. So no better time than now to get started no matter which way you go. The coil overs were out of my budget. So I have no info for you there. I went the Koni yellow route with the Maximum Motorsports CC plates. So far I think that was the better option over the GT500 strut mounts. You will have to decide on one or the other. You will also have to use some of the factory parts to put is all back together. I then chose the BMR handling springs and the double adjustable LCA's, PHB and mounts. My only complaint about the LCA's is that they make a lot of noise that can be heard and felt inside the car.

imeyers302

Established Member
I started with just steeda sports, Steeda HD mounts and steeda Panhard bar and brace with stock track pack shocks. I stress to start. A year later and I have now added Koni yellows, Steeda lower and adj upper control arms, Steeda sway bars and links, steeda x-brace and g-trac brace, and the Steeda watts link should be here in a few days. Can you tell I like steeda parts:).

Personally I would not do wheels and tires first. The stock suspension is not up to the task of serious handling so I don't see the point in adding bigger and stickier tires first. Get the suspension where you want it first then worry about adding bigger wheels and tires. Just my $.02. The suspension will do much more to change the feel of the car for the better than a set of wheels and tires.

Last edited:

BMR Tech 2

Whats up guys. So i want to start doing suspension on my car. I have a $1400 budget right now. I dont know if i should go with Coilovers or just do Koni Yelllows and some MM Springs. Everyone says a different thing when i ask, but hopefuly i can get some good opinons in here. Please help me out and let me know what you think i should do. Thanks

What are your goals for the car? How do you typically drive it?

Chris K

Established Member
Well it's my daily driver but I also want it to handle like a monster on the street. So I have 2 setups in mind. Koni yellows, MM springs, MM CC plates. Which comes out to about 1300. So I told my cuz that dose performance work on cars, and he said that if I'm going to spend that much, I should just go with coilovers, because of the adjustments. You can raise and lower the however you like. So I'm just stuck right now on trying to see what company I should go with coilovers with because that's what I think I'm going to go with. Has to but under 1500 tho.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
A coilover kit will run you at least $1,350 and you should still get the CC plates to keep alignment so you would be over $1500. If you can get them a little cheaper then you could stay under $1500.

imeyers302

Established Member
Well it's my daily driver but I also want it to handle like a monster on the street. So I have 2 setups in mind. Koni yellows, MM springs, MM CC plates. Which comes out to about 1300. So I told my cuz that dose performance work on cars, and he said that if I'm going to spend that much, I should just go with coilovers, because of the adjustments. You can raise and lower the however you like. So I'm just stuck right now on trying to see what company I should go with coilovers with because that's what I think I'm going to go with. Has to but under 1500 tho.

How often do you think you are going to adjust those coilovers? It's a daily and unless you want to slam it for shows there is only so low you can go on the street before you have to start worrying about hitting things when going up and down driveways, etc. The koni sale is on right now and for $1500 you could get Yellows for under $700. Steeda sports or another brand of spring, another $200. The konis have lifetime warranty which i dont think is offered with coilovers (could be wrong on that but fairly sure they dont.) That leaves $600 for control arms, Panhard bar, strut mounts, etc. If you do go coilovers you will still need a Panhard bar and relocation brackets for the lower control arms at a minimum.

wolfman311

Established Member
How often do you think you are going to adjust those coilovers? It's a daily and unless you want to slam it for shows there is only so low you can go on the street before you have to start worrying about hitting things when going up and down driveways, etc. The koni sale is on right now and for $1500 you could get Yellows for under $700. Steeda sports or another brand of spring, another $200. The konis have lifetime warranty which i dont think is offered with coilovers (could be wrong on that but fairly sure they dont.) That leaves $600 for control arms, Panhard bar, strut mounts, etc. If you do go coilovers you will still need a Panhard bar and relocation brackets for the lower control arms at a minimum.

Excellent point here. I wouldn't go for coilovers unless it was a full time race car.

Chris K

Established Member
So what I have right now is lower control arms and pan bar. That's my only suspension mods. I was thinking ST XTA coilovers which come with CC Plates. Or eibach coils.

imeyers302

Established Member
So what I have right now is lower control arms and pan bar. That's my only suspension mods. I was thinking ST XTA coilovers which come with CC Plates. Or eibach coils.

Only 12 month warranty with those coilovers. Why go so aggressive for a street driven daily. You will never drive beyond the limits of a koni/spring setup on the street and you will still retain a really good ride. If you want go nuts add a watts link. Just never understood why people would go to a coilover setup for a street driven car. Once again just my $.02.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Ya, I looked at coilovers too but my car is my daily so I got Koni Yellows and springs. Its great for the days I make it to the track but also not overkill for my daily.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Excellent point here. I wouldn't go for coilovers unless it was a full time race car.

Absolute truth right there, I guess I'm spoiled but the only coilovers I could recommend are the $10K Penskes, head and shoulders better than anything else out there, but they need maintenance like anything else. I'd go with something like an SCCA T3 setup. Decent springs, good shocks. work with sway bars and alignment settings.
You already own the best wheels ever made for a race car.

Last edited:

Chris K

Established Member
That's a lot guys for your help, but I ended up going with a new set of ST XTA Coilovers. I appreciate the opinions you guys gave. I hope the car comes out nice.

KBBoss302

Established Member
There are people on another Mustang forum running the ST's and they are very happy with them (including occasional track use). They are KW's 'junior' brand and use the same spring rates as the KWs and I believe the only difference between the KW V2 and the ST XTA is that that KW has a stainless shock/strut body instead of galvanized steel.

Let us know what you think after you get a few miles on them. Good luck!

Chris K

Established Member
Yeah that's the difference! The one I got also comes with camber plates ready to go. It's a great bang for your buck!

noldevin

Established Member
I don't think there's any truly good coilovers under 1500, or even 2000. A high quality set of shocks/struts and springs of your choice would be more bang for the buck.

Chris K

Established Member
I got them from my cuz. He has a shop so I got a good deal, but you can get a set new for $1400. It's nice because I can adjust it to exactly the height that I want. Even if it's just for 1 time, it's the height that I want, not just a preset one you know.

Users who are viewing this thread