Suspension setup for hooking on asphalt

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
My car sees much more street time than track, and after alot of trial and error, I'm still having a hard time getting it to dead hook on the launch. I'm running a 28x10.5 stiff sidewall hoosier with bias ply skinnies, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adjustable LCA's. Spraying 30ft with a vht/methanol mix and lighting it, followed by a couple VHT burouts. The car leaves hard, but is not quite hooking. Just wondering what you guys that mainly run the street are having success with on the street.

Here are a couple vids of my last race vs a E85 GTR. All the tire noise is mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZgkAJR4FsE

Finish line view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMZ3WT6WrY

[h=1][/h]

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What springs?

Car looks low.

I'm going to cut a coil off of my stickers and re install those and see how it goes.

rotarymagic

Established Member
DA shocks and struts would help immensely. I'm worried as well that you might have some Sportline springs or another type of "Anti-drag" spring.

Vert

Established Member
What springs?

Car looks low.

I'm going to cut a coil off of my stickers and re install those and see how it goes.
I know Scott cut his sockers at one time and was happy with them. Curious on the drop and rate it creates.
It seems the op car didn't squat much on the launch.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ Yep Scott is who I heard it from. I havent had a chance to try it just yet but plan to.

Stock springs are nice and soft and should transfer weight real nice.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I have a couple sets of stock springs in the garage. Might as well cut a coil give it a shot. Thanks

Edit: Follow up question. How much coil should I remove? Mark it 360 degrees from the original end of the coil and cut?

Last edited:

Turd Fergusen

Established Member
I've done well on MT pros, BMR upper/lowers, BMR drag springs and stock shocks. Auto car on spray

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Yes I cut my stockers... I'd recommend 1 1/4 coil off the top in rear and 3/4 off the bottom in front. You have to cut the front twice to get them to sit right...

I cut 1 coil off on all 4 corners, but I've moved some weight off the front and its in the back now...

Feel free to look me up on FB... Scott Hasty

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 353

92fiveohfox

Established Member
MAybe a dumb question but what are you using to cut the springs with? Also are you running a panhard bar?

D.T.R

Established Member
Good luck trying to hook on asphalt with a fast car. It just won't happen lol.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Good luck trying to hook on asphalt with a fast car. It just won't happen lol.

Come on, that's not true. I watch fox bodies, g bodies, and f bodies do it every weekend. Not too many guys out here that run late model mustangs, and those that do aren't sharing.

D.T.R

Established Member
Come on, that's not true. I watch fox bodies, g bodies, and f bodies do it every weekend. Not too many guys out here that run late model mustangs, and those that do aren't sharing.

100% not true.

You won't get an 8sec or even 9 sec car to not spin all over the road on unprepped asphalt. You will either leave on no power (if boosted, turn the boost all the way down) or you're just spinning for days. Turning the power down is not hooking on my book.
All these bad ass cars you see race on national television "On the streets"... they race on prepped concrete and the majority of them have big tires... not to mention they still spin their asses off.

Last edited:

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
You won't get an 8sec or even 9 sec car to not spin all over the road on unprepped asphalt. You will either leave on no power (if boosted, turn the boost all the way down) or you're just spinning for days. Turning the power down is not hooking on my book.
All these bad ass cars you see race on national television "On the streets"... they race on prepped concrete and the majority of them have big tires... not to mention they still spin their asses off.

I agree with you. But from my first post, I'm talking about very well prepped asphalt with hundreds of passes worth of rubber already laid down.
If you read through, it's pretty clear that my spring choice is probably working against me and it's something I need to change. The same night I raced that GTR, I watched a nitrous catfish hang the fronts for 100'.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'll just leave this here... Yes that's on the street!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 247

Users who are viewing this thread