Suspension overhaul DIY?

DSCobra01

Established Member
Hey guys, I've searched around and can't really seem to find what I'm looking for regarding an overhaul of the 99-04 Cobra suspension. I have all the parts including new Koni Yellow SA shocks and struts, H&R Race springs and MM Caster Camber Plates. I'm just trying to decide if I attempt this myself in the garage and just pay for the alignment at the end or pay a shop to do the whole job. I was quoted about $850 for the whole job, including alignment.

Does anyone have any forum threads or webpages bookmarked that break down the process in a DIY? I looked on Youtube as well and didn't find much that specifically focused on the 99-04 IRS Cobras.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate it!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Can't give you much info on the back but the front is simple. The MM provided directions are good, just read the part about using the stock plate to mark the new hole twice and make sure you understand it.

Here is the AM version with better pics:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximum-motorsports-caster-camber-plates-94-04-install.html

Once you have everything off for the CC plates the just put the new struts in (brakes off, sway bar, etc). It's all really simple, I did it in a few hours on stands, at my apartment. Depending on what springs you have you might need to borrow a spring compressor from autozone.

Edit: Here the spring install guide that will show you how to get pressure off to change the struts.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-race-spring-99-04-cobra-install.html

AM has a couple good write ups, it's all pretty self explanatory once you take the danger of the spring tension out of the equation.

Last edited:

DSCobra01

Established Member
All great info, thanks Black02GT! Now if I can just come across some info for springs and shocks for the IRS in the rear.

A_Law

Established Member
For the rear, place floor jack under IRS sub assembly, take out the two rear sub frame bolts, and slowly lower the IRS subframe, it will pivot on the front two subframe bolts, and doing this will easily allow you to change springs, and the shocks are a matter of two bolts, and two nuts on the top tower. Should be really easy.

DSCobra01

Established Member
For the rear, place floor jack under IRS sub assembly, take out the two rear sub frame bolts, and slowly lower the IRS subframe, it will pivot on the front two subframe bolts, and doing this will easily allow you to change springs, and the shocks are a matter of two bolts, and two nuts on the top tower. Should be really easy.

Awesome thank you, I think I can visualize that, especially once the car is up in the air and the wheels are off.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and, though we are an old breed now, it's nice to know there is still a place to go for New Edge Cobra help! Thanks again!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

To add to that you might have to loosen the front subframe bolts. When I had the stock bushings the front bolts held the subframe up. Once I loosened them it dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread