suspension noob question

robvas

Established Member
Find someone who wants the aftermarket control arms and trade them for their stockers.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah I have poly on my lowers and run stock uppers. Seems to be what Maximum Motorsport recommends. Not too bad on the street, definitely still feel the bumps. I do have really stiff springs and racing seats so that doesn't help.

Albatross

Established Member
The rear shocks you have installed on the car in the photos are for an IRS. They are much stiffer than the shocks meant for a solid axle.

20210114_120820.jpg

^^That is a rear shock for a solid axle. I circled the area that is different so you can see.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
The rear shocks you have installed on the car in the photos are for an IRS. They are much stiffer than the shocks meant for a solid axle.

View attachment 1683210
^^That is a rear shock for a solid axle. I circled the area that is different so you can see.

Interesting I didn't even know you could physically bolt in an IRS shock on a SRA. guess the previous owner just kept the stock shocks?

Albatross

Established Member
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. Through the research I have done you should not use irs shocks on a solid axle. The irs shock is beveled at the bottom to clear the lower control arm it mounts to. The irs shocks are stiffer which is probably contributing to the stiff feeling you are speaking of. I'm sure the solid bushings on the control arms that others have pointed out aren't helping either. It looks like you have a few things you need to address if you want a more comfortable ride. If you plan on keeping the solid axle I would recommend you get bilstein shocks designed for that axle. I'm no engineer but I imagine the stiffer shocks may be putting that solid axle in a bind and not letting it move the way it needs to.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So I can use the shocks that I ordered already? Cause I already ordered shocks assuming it was stock.
You'll need different shocks. I don't know about the mounting differences, but I do know they're valves differently. And you need springs for an SRA as they're a different design.

Users who are viewing this thread