suspension noob question

JOHN CERVANTES

Established Member
Before yall all say use the search function i did, but i just would like some clarity.

So i just got a 03 cobra with appears to be a solid axel swap, but before i knew that i ordered lowering springs and Bilstein rear shocks for a 03 cobra. will my lowering springs and rear shocks work? Or do i have to buy something different?

JOHN CERVANTES

Established Member
dss.jpg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Before yall all say use the search function i did, but i just would like some clarity.

So i just got a 03 cobra with appears to be a solid axel swap, but before i knew that i ordered lowering springs and Bilstein rear shocks for a 03 cobra. will my lowering springs and rear shocks work? Or do i have to buy something different?

Yup that's a solid axle. Need GT stuff for the rear. Completely different, sorry dude.

On the plus side, cheaper and easier and looks like you already have Bilsteins.

JOHN CERVANTES

Established Member
damn, true, i didn't know if it had been done so i was just trying to get ahead of the maintance. I ordered the front and rear. I feel every bump and always feels like i bottom out when hitting bumps so i figured the shocks were shot. This car is a bit stiff!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
damn, true, i didn't know if it had been done so i was just trying to get ahead of the maintance. I ordered the front and rear. I feel every bump and always feels like i bottom out when hitting bumps so i figured the shocks were shot. This car is a bit stiff!

Yeah tough when you don't what is in it. Definitely aftermarket lower control arms in the back. No idea the springs. Hard to see the uppers but look shiny for stock.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah they're aftermarket and all your control arms have solid (essentially no) bushings on both ends. Nice for keeping the rear inline at the strip but tough on the street.

What are goals/plans for it?

JOHN CERVANTES

Established Member
Was always my dream car, so just a average cruising car. The occasional pull on the street if someone wants. Lol. But overall I don’t want to tract it just a street car.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Could swap back to an IRS and upgrade the bushings. Looks like you have UPR upper and lowers control arms and likely built rear. The axle tubes are welded which leads me to think the axles are upgraded as well

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
At the very least it might be worth selling those control arms and getting a set with poly bushings. It won't turn it into a Cadillac, but it might help a little.

Or as mentioned post up for an IRS. I imagine there's at least one Cobra guy by you looking to go SRA.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
At the very least it might be worth selling those control arms and getting a set with poly bushings. It won't turn it into a Cadillac, but it might help a little.

Or as mentioned post up for an IRS. I imagine there's at least one Cobra guy by you looking to go SRA.
Poly suck too.

As for IRS - good luck. Once easy to find cheap, now like hens teeth and expensive.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Poly suck too.

As for IRS - good luck. Once easy to find cheap, now like hens teeth and expensive.
Still better than solid joints. I've run poly in a few cars with no complaints.

All depends in where you're located. I've got a fairly large group of Cobra owners by me and a couple gave talked about going SRA. Not to mention you don't necessarily need an 03/04 IRS if you're going to upgrade everything.

Users who are viewing this thread