Suspension/cornering geometry gt500 va zl1 1le

Voltwings

Established Member
Cost, cost, cost, cost, cost. GM is able to amortize the cost of the Alpha chassis over several very well selling *performance* vehicles, whereas the Mustang chassis is either bespoke or parts bin parts from *non performance* vehicles. Yes, mustang is able to split the costs of its engine(s) and auto trans with the F-150, which is HUGE, but until they can amortize the costs of the chassis it will always be inferior to the GM offering. That's just the way business works.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I forget where I saw it, but I was reading the S650 would be built on the modular chassis that's going under the new Explorer/Aviator. That makes for one RWD chassis for Ford, and the costs will easily be amortized in Explorer sales alone. Then hopefully they can spend the money to optimize the chassis.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm a Ford fanboy to the bone, but it's interesting that GM Is splitting the Alpha Chassis between the Camaro, CTS and i believe ATS whereas Ford is splitting the Mustang with big ass SUVs lol...

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I'm a Ford fanboy to the bone, but it's interesting that GM Is splitting the Alpha Chassis between the Camaro, CTS and i believe ATS whereas Ford is splitting the Mustang with big ass SUVs lol...

Which all combined sell about the volume of the Mustang (81k Mustang vs 90k for Camaro/ATS/CTS combined). Whereas the Explorer sells about 250k per year. Plus any other SUV that goes on it. That's a lot of money saved that can be used for performance stuff right there. It sounds silly, but could work in practice as the platform sounds like it will be highly modular.

Users who are viewing this thread