Suspension adjustments for stick cars????

Benchracer

Established Member
I want some input from all the suspension gurus on the manual cars. I have QA1 DA shocks in the back with cobra jet lowering springs, BMR pan hard bar, BMR LCA relocation brackets on the middle hole, JPC adjustable UCA, T56 magnum XL with the 2.66 first gear, stock 3.31's(putting 4.10's in it soon), and running a MT 26x10.5 bias ply. I built everything for a twin turbo set up that will be going on in a couple months. So while Im waiting on the turbos, I have an NX plate kit on with a 200 shot. I will be spraying right from the launch.

The track I run at is not the greatest prep but sometimes its not bad. When my car was completely stock other than a 150 shot and slicks, I was running 1.55-1.58 60's. I would imagine these same 60's should be very easy to attain with all these aftermarket parts as long as they are adjusted accordingly. I know front struts and rear lca's will help and they will be going on as well. I just havent got to them yet.

With that said, I see a lot of auto suspension talk but not much on manuals. where do I want to be with the suspension set up? Shocks- Super soft on compression and stiff on rebound? What about the LCA relocation bracket adjustment? I would love to hear from JPC or BMR since I purchased all of this from them but any expert advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Big problem is your 2.66 first in the Tremec coupled with the stock 3.31's. Its hard enough to get a good leave with my MT82 with a 3.66 first and 3.31's lol. You need that gear asap otherwise trying to find a leave RPM between bogging and spinning is going to be very hard. On the front i usually go full soft, and rears i start in the middle. If the car feels too floaty up front, raise the fronts up a few clicks. If the car just spins and doesn't compress in back, soften the back. If the car compresses then unloads stiffen them up in back. Also tire pressure will come into play. The UCA should of been adjusted prior for correct pinion angle to match the bushing type and trans. The relo brackets will depend on vehicle drop but middle hole for the track worked for me.

Last edited:

Benchracer

Established Member
Big problem is your 2.66 first in the Tremec coupled with the stock 3.31's. Its hard enough to get a good leave with my MT82 with a 3.66 first and 3.31's lol. You need that gear asap otherwise trying to find a leave RPM between bogging and spinning is going to be very hard. On the front i usually go full soft, and rears i start in the middle. If the car feels too floaty up front, raise the fronts up a few clicks. If the car just spins and doesn't compress in back, soften the back. If the car compresses then unloads stiffen them up in back. Also tire pressure will come into play. The UCA should of been adjusted prior for correct pinion angle to match the bushing type and trans. The relo brackets will depend on vehicle drop but middle hole for the track worked for me.

I dont have adjustable fronts struts yet. The back uca is adjusted to -2.5* Tire pressure is usually 14 or 15psi. My rear shocks are double adjustable. What kind of 60's are you getting?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I haven't been out yet on my new suspension, but stock suspension minus relo and springs was 1.59 consistently leaving at around 5500rpm on the two step. That was with 26.5" MT stiff side wall slicks. Now i have adjustable shocks and the rest of the BMR suspension in back.

BMR Tech

Assuming everything is mechanically sound, pinion-angle is correct, etc...

First off, with that gear....you need to launch HIGH. If you are going to launch N/A.....it needs to be from 5500+ RPM. If you are launching on 100 shot or less, make it 4500 ish....if you are launching on the full 200 (gulp)...you will probably need to launch around 4500 - slipping the clutch as much as possible.

Second, place the LCA in the middle position and the UCA in the upper most position, (or stock position)

Third, adjust the rear shocks to 3/4 to full stiff on compression.....and 0 to 1/4 on the rebound.

Lastly, post a video of your results.....and I will be glad to give you further advice.

BMR Tech

To simplify....I believe the QA1's are 18 adjustments for Comp and Reb?

If so, start at 13 on Compression and 0 on rebound.

If the car spins on the hit, immediately, go to full-stiff on compression.

If it hooks, then spins....go to 5-6 on the rebound.

By doing those, it should give you results that will help you know which way you need to go.

Benchracer

Established Member
Thank you Kelly. Thats exactly what I was looking for. You will probably want to see a video before you answer this question but I will ask anyway. Will I eventually want to adjust each shock differently? or should they always be the same?

BMR Tech

Thank you Kelly. Thats exactly what I was looking for. You will probably want to see a video before you answer this question but I will ask anyway. Will I eventually want to adjust each shock differently? or should they always be the same?

I have done it, and recommended it only under rare and certain circumstances, BUT, I am not a fan of different Shock/Strut and Spring settings from one side to the next.

You should not need to for your combo.

Users who are viewing this thread