Suspend the coach for winning by too much?

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
To me, that is bullying and should have never happened.

If we want to teach our kids sportsmanship, I am not sure this is the way.

Now I am not sure I would have fired the coach.

kaz109

Established Member
It depends. If the coach left the starters in than maybe, if they cycled in the bench then tough shit losers. At some point there should have been a discussions about forfeiture.
+1 there’s something called sports etiquette, if this coach put it in his bench players ( 3rd string) and his team was still winning there’s not much he can do and he can’t be held responsible, But if he left in his starters knowing the direction the game is going he needs some form of discipline. I personally think a suspension or termination is too far but he definitely needs to be reprimanded and reminded why he’s in youth sports

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
I'm wondering if the team that got trounced were being poor sports?

In hockey there's an unwritten rule that if you are winning by a lot you start giving your 3rd and 4th line guys more shifts than your Top Six, and you don't run your number 1 power play unit if you go on the power play. That courtesy goes out the window if the other team starts mucking it up and taking cheap shots on your players.

Did the defeated team start acting like jack asses and the coach of the other team decided to run up the score as a result?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You made me look into this.

“Sacred Heart pressed for most of the first half then called it off and went into a tight man-to-man half court defense trying to get steals,” Lyman Hall coach Tom Lipka said in an email to Hearst Connecticut Media. “They fast breaked the entire game right to the end. They never went into a zone and continued to push the ball up the court and shoot threes wherever they could. They showed no mercy throughout.”

Sacred Heart Academy, 3-0 and ranked third in the GameTimeCT girls basketball poll, led 29-0 after a quarter, 56-0 at halftime and 80-0 after three quarters. Before beating Lyman Hall, the Sharks defeated Stamford 83-48 and Shelton 80-37.

Lyman Hall is 0-5. The team has lost games to Coginchaug (43-31), Amity (55-37), Sheehan (72-38) and Middletown (65-36).

Twelve players scored for Sacred Heart Academy, led by Rosa Rizzitelli’s 13. Rizzitelli also had 12 rebounds, five steals and four assists. As a team, Sacred Heart Academy made five 3-pointers and made 15 of 19 free throw attempts.

1. Seems like Sacred Heart did play it's depth later into the game due to their leading scorer had 13 points.
2. Only 5-3 pointers. Lyman coach sounds like a tranny complaining about 3s
3. How does a team, albeit 0-5, lose 92-4 when their other losses where either close or traditional blowouts.
4. 4 points is ridiculous. Should suspend the Lyman team for being terrible.
5. I think at some point the coach should of relaxed the playcalling since the game was clearly out of hand. But the other team needed to show up or at least asked for a forfeit.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Screw that, it’s a life lesson for all the kids. There will be winners and losers, it ain’t fair and you don’t relax your standards just become the outcome is already decided. God, society has gotten stupid.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
eh, I've been on both sides of the coin. When you're shit kicking someone we would drop back into a zone and then kill clock moving the ball around (assuming the other team hasn't been a bunch of dicks as mentioned ealier).

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
eh, I've been on both sides of the coin. When you're shit kicking someone we would drop back into a zone and then kill clock moving the ball around (assuming the other team hasn't been a bunch of dicks as mentioned ealier).
I totally get where you are coming from but you don't HAVE to do it. Wonder how some of our new day pussies would look at those old killer UCLA, IU and Duke BB teams.
You don't want to get beaten down? Practice, practice, practice.

Zemedici

Established Member
It depends. If the coach left the starters in than maybe, if they cycled in the bench then tough shit losers. At some point there should have been a discussions about forfeiture.

Holy shit this was funny. Noice.

When I was in school if spread was 50+ they would discuss forfeit.

Zemedici

Established Member
Why forfeit? I have personally seen basketball teams down by 30 plus points come back and make it a close game. You learn a lot by losing, even if it's an ass whooping.

Wasnt an automatic forfeiture, coaches would get together and be like 'ayo you got a shot?'

other coach says yay or nay lol

CobraG

Established Member
I coached youth basketball and been on both sides. When your down big it does suck, but you can ask the other coach and ref's for a running clock or to shorten the quarters.
This story sounds like the winning team was running a scrimmage if they were still pressing with that large of a lead and playing tight man coverage. They should have went to zone on defense and had a minimum number of passes on offense before shooting.
They play again in late Jan, maybe start the backups in that game.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I coached youth basketball and been on both sides. When your down big it does suck, but you can ask the other coach and ref's for a running clock or to shorten the quarters.
This story sounds like the winning team was running a scrimmage if they were still pressing with that large of a lead and playing tight man coverage. They should have went to zone on defense and had a minimum number of passes on offense before shooting.
They play again in late Jan, maybe start the backups in that game.
I would really love to see the team that lost so badly step up if there is a second time. Teams that press somehow seem to not be as dominate when pressed.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Teams/coaches/people used to get mad when the Pats would run the score up on shitty teams in the mid 2000s.
Give me a break.
Isn't that what sports are all about? Competition.... seeing where you stack up against your opponents etc.

Users who are viewing this thread