Suspend the coach for winning by too much?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
+1 there’s something called sports etiquette, if this coach put it in his bench players ( 3rd string) and his team was still winning there’s not much he can do and he can’t be held responsible, But if he left in his starters knowing the direction the game is going he needs some form of discipline. I personally think a suspension or termination is too far but he definitely needs to be reprimanded and reminded why he’s in youth sports

you and your people are the reason this country is in the shitter.

Tough titties. Untuck that shriveled up thing from between your legs, pull that turtleneck down and let the wind hit it, maybe then you will remember God made you as a man and not some bitch made queenlet.

kaz109

Established Member
you and your people are the reason this country is in the shitter.

Tough titties. Untuck that shriveled up thing from between your legs, pull that turtleneck down and let the wind hit it, maybe then you will remember God made you as a man and not some bitch made queenlet.
Lol… love all the tough guys talking about “ oh this is the reason this country” blah blah. Likely have never coached, trained or even been involved in sports at any level

It is and ALWAYS has been the same, if you are up there is no need to keep best players in. In high school and college and professional sports they all Clear out their bench when a game gets out of hand. Pro basketball they go to their bench, pro football they run the ball then kneel the ball to run out the clock and this didn’t just start a couple years ago. It’s ALWAYS BEEN this way

On the topic of this particular game by halftime the score is 50-0….. at that point there is no reason not to pull every starter and let all they kids who barley play get some time in. At that point of your 3 string is still beating them then that’s on the other team.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
This is far from that , don’t be naive
Then what is it? Getting an apology, when it is evident you do not belong on the court, is what exactly? Wait until these children experience the real world rather than losing in a bullshit high school game.

Nothing stopped the losing team from quitting after the half but I guess the victors were supposed to quit or at the very least stick their thumbs up their asses for the second half?

kaz109

Established Member
This situation just happened to my son’s basketball team a few weeks ago, an out of conference team replaced another team in the tournament and when my son’s coach noticed the other team in warm ups he knew how the game would go so he sat all the starters and only played the 3rd string guys .

My sons team still ended up blowing them out by 30. If the starters would’ve played like normal what lesson would’ve been learned?

Machdup1

Established Member
Man times have changed.

The losing team should have had their equivalent of a Curt Rambis at the end of the bench to discourage the running up the score. You know a big Kidd, that knows how to keep his mouth shut.

Knock one to the ground, roll up a knee, basically hockey on a basketball court.

To every problem a solution.

kaz109

Established Member
Then what is it? Getting an apology, when it is evident you do not belong on the court, is what exactly? Wait until these children experience the real world rather than losing in a bullshit high school game.

Nothing stopped the losing team from quitting after the half but I guess the victors were supposed to quit or at the very least stick their thumbs up their asses for the second half?
I think it really depends on how the winning coach went about this . Simply put the girls who started the game should not be in at all in the second half with a score like that.

Maybe I’m not articulating my point well enough, I have no problem with winners and losers, I have no problem with learning hard lessons, what I am saying is if AND ONLY IF this couch left in his better players most of the game that is not teaching his players anything and the opposing players aren’t learning anything either. If anything he is crippling his team.

For the record I understand that my arguments are based on unknown facts of the situation.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
This will be how are woke military will play in the next conflict. They've already given our technology and armaments away. Let's be fair. **** that! When we played sports it was a war each game. Fun came when you stomped the other sides ass.

kaz109

Established Member
This will be how are woke military will play in the next conflict. They've already given our technology and armaments away. Let's be fair. **** that! When we played sports it was a war each game. Fun came when you stomped the other sides ass.
I’m sure you meant “ our “ …… I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you aren’t as unintelligent as your post.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I’m sure you meant “ our “ …… I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you aren’t as unintelligent as your post.

I had no idea are posts in this thread were going to be critiqued. What a gift you have to decipher such jibberish. I should have proof read. Opps did it again.

Blown 89

Established Member
Lol… love all the tough guys talking about “ oh this is the reason this country” blah blah. Likely have never coached, trained or even been involved in sports at any level
I coach 85 kids at the moment, played on a national level as a junior, played in college, and played professionally at the lowest level. I've been coaching since 1994 and I've seen a noticeable softening of the youth over the years. My job used to consist of teaching them a sport, now I teach kids how the basics of athleticism and getting them to work hard at even the highest levels is like pulling teeth. That's not to mention managing the snowflake attitudes. As an athlete I have absolutely devoured people's souls in competition and I've been humiliated so bad I wanted to curl up and die. Such is life. Adversity breeds greatness IMO. So there's my background.

There's a fine line to walk in sports. If the kids can handle it, let them take a beating. If you sense that little Johnny is humiliated and will never play basketball again clearly put a stop to it. There should be some level of etiquette at the high school level but that duty falls on both parties. It's hard to make a judgment with the limited facts that we have here.

kaz109

Established Member
I coach 85 kids at the moment, played on a national level as a junior, played in college, and played professionally at the lowest level. I've been coaching since 1994 and I've seen a noticeable softening of the youth over the years. My job used to consist of teaching them a sport, now I teach kids how the basics of athleticism and getting them to work hard at even the highest levels is like pulling teeth. That's not to mention managing the snowflake attitudes. As an athlete I have absolutely devoured people's souls in competition and I've been humiliated so bad I wanted to curl up and die. Such is life. Adversity breeds greatness IMO. So there's my background.

There's a fine line to walk in sports. If the kids can handle it, let them take a beating. If you sense that little Johnny is humiliated and will never play basketball again clearly put a stop to it. There should be some level of etiquette at the high school level but that duty falls on both parties. It's hard to make a judgment with the limited facts that we have here.
I agreed with your original post and I agree with this one, as I said in another post I’m making an argument based on unknown facts.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I’m not articulating my point well enough, I have no problem with winners and losers, I have no problem with learning hard lessons, what I am saying is if AND ONLY IF this couch left in his better players most of the game that is not teaching his players anything and the opposing players aren’t learning anything either. If anything he is crippling his
If the victorious school is apologizing for being good and laying a whoopin' on the losers then it goes w/o saying it is also an apology for them being bad. Both go hand in hand regardless of the intention of said apology.

Lets say the higher pedigree team just passed the ball over and over with each possession. Is there a shot clock in high school basketball? To me that wouldn't be much different than scoring XX amount of points against a poorly matched team. If anything it is saying you are so bad we don't have to do a thing but stand here.

The head coach is being raked over the coals yet what about the losing coach?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think it really depends on how the winning coach went about this . Simply put the girls who started the game should not be in at all in the second half with a score like that.

Maybe I’m not articulating my point well enough, I have no problem with winners and losers, I have no problem with learning hard lessons, what I am saying is if AND ONLY IF this couch left in his better players most of the game that is not teaching his players anything and the opposing players aren’t learning anything either. If anything he is crippling his team.

For the record I understand that my arguments are based on unknown facts of the situation.
You must not watch many UConn women's basketball games. They often blow out an opposing team, and often Geno leaves his starters in (or most of them) because he doesn't want them to lose the aggressive edge. Especially when he see weak spots that need strengthening. Sometimes he'll have maybe 50% or more backups in the game, but not always. Experience is important.

IMO the opposing coach needs to take some of the heat for the huge loss. Why did he team fall apart like it did. Did his coaching, or lack thereof, play into the picture? We'll never hear the whole story or hear all the facts, but the next time they meet will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread