Surprised this hasn't been shared yet, blackstone "oil report"

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They are probably correct when taken on average. I would say though, the users on this site likely abuse their engines much more than the average driver. That's where the higher grade oils with greater shear stability, film strength, thermal stability, and a lower NOACK come into play. In those areas store brand oil isn't going to touch top shelf stuff.

That said, I ran good old Castrol GTX 10w30 for 200,000 miles (5,000 mile OCI) in my Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 and that engine was ridiculously clean inside. It was my DD and saw it's fair share of off-road time, but that engine was never abused. Anything probably could have gotten similar results given its used and the maintenance schedule. Now my 6.4 PSD is a different story.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Interesting, but a 150 hp Subaru motor?.. I feel like if you're on top of your oil changes at 3-4000 miles, and just getting groceries yeah it isn't going to matter too much what oil you run in that motor. But the harder working Truck Engine or built engine or higher oil change intervals will be where the more expensive oils shine through.

I'll stick with running amsoil.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Thought I just saw a report that synthetic really is better than regular oil, but can't find it.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I've never really heard of anyone that had an engine failure (or premature wear) that was positively attributable to the brand name of oil they were running. Even a cheap dino oil will allow today's engines to run 250k plus miles, as long as you are changing it regularly and running the right weight. That said...yea, I use Amsoil. Run what makes you feel comfortable...

Users who are viewing this thread