surging/help please/

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
My prochargd 99 cobra does the same thing. It does however seem to not do this "surging" when using full throttle. Just 3/4 throttle to full??? Weird.

Let me know when you find out please. Thnx

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
I talked to a speedshop guy yesterday and he said my fuel pump is not sufficient?!!!! So now i need and new setup probly looking at about $600 for the 03 pumps and tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
another day another 6 hundred dollars i guess.

Mike

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Cheapest I have heard the baffled 03 fuel cell and twin pumps going for is $699...Ford is getting $1300 I think...good luck...

fly boy

Established Member
Where can I find a 03 tank at ?How much? Any idea what would happen when you use a 03 pump in a non 03 tank?(like how the car would run)

Bostard

Established Member
Don't run the '03 pump in an older tank. The older tanks are not baffled and you will run out of fuel on hard accel, braking and cornering.

ForcedInjection......Does your new Walbro 255 require modifying the basket on the returnless system like the older ones? I am also concerned about how it will perform under the variable voltage of the 99-03's.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Bostard
Don't run the '03 pump in an older tank. The older tanks are not baffled and you will run out of fuel on hard accel, braking and cornering.

ForcedInjection......Does your new Walbro 255 require modifying the basket on the returnless system like the older ones? I am also concerned about how it will perform under the variable voltage of the 99-03's.

I've been running the 03 pump in my 01 tank for almost a year now with no problems. The only thing you need to do is fill up at a quarter tank.

Razor.:beer:

Bostard

Established Member
I've had the surging problem for a while with my Paxton. We put it on the dyno and we found that as you'd roll into the throttle the fuel pressure would start dropping from about 40psi all the way down to 6psi at about 2/3 throttle. Then it would spike to 70psi, puke a puff of black smoke and take off again. I learned that it is because Paxton sells you an inline fuel pump with their Novi 1000 kit that isn't compatible with the returnless system.

Solution: Get the pump that superchargersonline sells for $160 and ditch the inline pump that Paxton sold you. The new pump slips right into the factory basket and give plenty of psi right up to redline. I'm now a happy camper. Thanks Trevor.

NoPony

Established Member
Originally posted by fly boy
Where can I find a 03 tank at ?How much? Any idea what would happen when you use a 03 pump in a non 03 tank?(like how the car would run)

Steeda sells the pumps and tank for around 650.00 You can go with just the pump but it is not recommended. The baffles inside the Cobra tank keeps the fuel from sloshing around and air getting in the fuel line. This is what I have heard anyway. Can anyone else confirm this?

Last edited:

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by NoPony
Steeda sells the pumps and tank for around 650.00 You can go with just the pump but it is not recommended. The baffles inside the Cobra tank keeps the fuel from sloshing around and air getting in the fuel line. This is what I have heard anyway. Can anyone else confirm this?
Thats true.Since the pumps are in the open with no baffles or bucket(like the gt pump is in) the car can slosh fuel away from the pumps.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by white99gt
Thats true.Since the pumps are in the open with no baffles or bucket(like the gt pump is in) the car can slosh fuel away from the pumps.

That's why you don't run the fuel below a 1/4 tank.;-)

Razor.

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
That's why you don't run the fuel below a 1/4 tank.;-)

Razor.

True.But i like the slosh factor gone.Mine still does see curves ,so i like the extra safety factor.And not worring about uncovering the pumps at all.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by white99gt
True.But i like the slosh factor gone.Mine still does see curves ,so i like the extra safety factor.And not worring about uncovering the pumps at all.

I understand what you mean, and it's the right choice to install both the pump and tank togeather. I just run the pump only and haven't had any problems in the year I have done so.

Razor.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread