Supras???

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
the thing about all those fast supras and celicas is that there is very little supra or celica left in them. check out lingenfelter.com if you wanna see some 8 second street cars that actually have the same parts that they came from the factory with.

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
i think the 8.5 second supras and all those other ones are or can be street legal but i dont know. nor do i care. "oh my god that car only runs an 8 second quarter mile. thats so damn slow":rollseyes

FEARSM

Established Member
Originally posted by 96redvette
the thing about all those fast supras and celicas is that there is very little supra or celica left in them. check out lingenfelter.com if you wanna see some 8 second street cars that actually have the same parts that they came from the factory with.

When did Chevy start turbocharging Vettes from the factory?

FEARSM

Established Member
Originally posted by jasonc32amg
in 1987 or 1989...Callaway

Uh, Callaway is not factory. You buy the corvette new then SEND it to Callaway for turbocharging.......

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
Originally posted by FEARSM
Uh, Callaway is not factory. You buy the corvette new then SEND it to Callaway for turbocharging.......
Uh it was an option on the order form for the car, and chevy sent it to Connecticut for the factory approved, fully warrinteed twin turbo setup. then they shipped it to you. do some reasearch.

FEARSM

Established Member
Uh it was an option on the order form for the car, and chevy sent it to Connecticut for the factory approved, fully warrinteed twin turbo setup. then they shipped it to you. do some reasearch.

I have done mine, how about u get a clue. Chevy IS the manufacturer. THATS WHERE THE CAR ROLLED OUT OF THE FACTORY. You yourself said CHEVY SENT the car to Callaway. Thats not how it came OFF THE FACTORY FLOOR. Get it? Lingenfelter Warranties their work, so does Saleen. IT STILL AINT FACTORY.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
Originally posted by FEARSM
I have done mine, how about u get a clue. Chevy IS the manufacturer. THATS WHERE THE CAR ROLLED OUT OF THE FACTORY. You yourself said CHEVY SENT the car to Callaway. Thats not how it came OFF THE FACTORY FLOOR. Get it? Lingenfelter Warranties their work, so does Saleen. IT STILL AINT FACTORY.

It's not the same , some you metion do not have a COPO...this would be similar to a chevy ss that went to SLP. Saleen and Steeda are also available as options through Ford, Lingenfelter is not.

There is a big difference between a tuner car that warranties thier product, and tuner car avaiable through the factory process with factory warranty. I think your panties are on too tight...

:loser:

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Evill Supra
Hehe,

Some of you guys crack me up. The reason they hold their value is because they are built by Toyota, which spells quality throughout. Not only are they great accelarating cars stock-pulling low 13s in the 1/4 mile, but they can out brake and out handle most any car in its class. These numbers are still better then most sports cars built today. It is a car well ahead of its time. Check stats below from several magazines:

The proof is in the pudding. Well maintained stock '97-'98 Supras will go for well over their sticker price 6 years ago. How much will your Cobra be worth in 6 years?

Steve K.

Hate to brust your bubble but those time are about the same as the 01 Cobra tested by C+D a few years ago. A stock 03/04 Cobra would kill a stock MkIV Supra. Don't believe me then read this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=3198&page_number=1

Cliff notes:

Then we strapped on the test gear and made a few runs at the track. The results were staggering—the Cobra's acceleration time matched a Camaro SS's. The Cobra scooted to 60 mph in only 4.8 seconds and through the quarter in 13.5 seconds at 105 mph. Our last Z28SS (a particularly quick model we tested in October 1998) hit 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and did the quarter in 13.5 seconds at 107 mph.

"Must be a ringer," somebody offered. Had Ford slipped us an especially strong one? We asked for a second Cobra, and soon a white convertible arrived. We quietly drove both cars to the chassis dyno at Automotive Performance Engineering (APE) of Clinton Township, Michigan (810-954-3181; www.ap-engineering. com).

The technicians at APE strapped our gray coupe onto the dyno rolls and recorded 272 horsepower at the rear wheels. If you correct for driveline losses (about 15 percent), the rear-wheel dyno number correlates to 320 crankshaft horsepower, exactly as advertised. We then put the white convertible Cobra onto the dyno, and although we expected to see some typical production variation, we did not. It too made 272 rear-wheel horsepower. So you can take it from us: At least two 2001 Cobras produced the advertised 320 horsepower.

Last edited:

cpdaddy35

Established Member
Stock vs. stock, a cobra would outrun a supra in a straight line. Maybe in a few years the modded Cobras will run with the single supras...???

Turbo Cobra

Fast Family Car
Established Member
Just about everyone that has replied in this topic are ignorant.

Evil Supra for one a Cobra with a supra w/ the same power... I will have to say the Cobra will win... about 90% of the vids the supra has more power and the Cobra always takes off on it. And the Cobra with no more than 75 hp less always keeps up. I have seen a 500 hp cobra stay up with a 600hp supra simple!!!

Stag owners dont have the gears to race from a row if they do they shouldnt race past 155 the supra keeps goin i wanna see a cobra with 2.92 gears or something.

But the main reason u all r ignorant is becuz the years the cars were made.

Like i have stated before compare all the 8.9.10 sec supras 93-98 and watch how the 93-98 supras get out numbered by 8.9.10 sec stangs. Thats it. There are waaayyyy more 8.9.10 sec stang (93-98) than there are supras. And the fastest Supra cannot keep up with the fastest stangas for the celica...

its a dragcar... plastic body.... ok... 6.9..ok we have them like 6.5 6.3 keep trying six if you pump a lttle harder you probably grow an extra piston or 2and a few more c.i. ....

Man both cars are in my favorites, i would love to have both cars, it all comes down to power and driver. and money and passion of course.

E. Supra race someone on this forum that has a Snake and record it!!!

David

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
OH Yeah lingenfelter is definitely no joke, their super vetts they don't bother with Supras, I saw one race a F-14 fighter Jet. Dont know if anyone else saw that article, but you gotta know that that company is badass.

Also, I am in concord NC What mustang do you want to race...... we have them all the way up to 1400hp on the street.

www.gofastfords.com

Nexxus

Established Member
Originally posted by Turbo Cobra
There are waaayyyy more 8.9.10 sec stang (93-98) than there are supras. And the fastest Supra cannot keep up with the fastest stangas for the celica...

That's probly because there were 100x as many stangs sold as there were supra turbos. More of a sample of the population.

cpdaddy35

Established Member
Originally posted by charged98cobra
OH Yeah lingenfelter is definitely no joke, their super vetts they don't bother with Supras, I saw one race a F-14 fighter Jet. Dont know if anyone else saw that article, but you gotta know that that company is badass.

Also, I am in concord NC What mustang do you want to race...... we have them all the way up to 1400hp on the street.

www.gofastfords.com

Was hoping to race one of the shit talkers on here with a cobra??? :rolling: :rockon:

Turbo Cobra

Fast Family Car
Established Member
Originally posted by cpdaddy35
David, let's get a race set up then. Any you guys near Greenville, SC?

Well im from Miami and we are going to the track "Moroso" So if yuo dont mind coming down here there will be plenty of stangs to race.

By the way do you have pix or vids of ur cars particularly against Stangs and how much power do you have?

David

skunk50

Established Member
stock 5.0 blocks with the stock compression (that's kind of low) can only handle around 500rwhp safely. after that, it's a crapshoot and you can split it.

stock LS1 have 10.1:1 compression and cannot handle lots of boost. i think 600-650 rwhp is the most the stock block can take.

stock Supra motors have been safely handling 800 rwhp and up to 1000 rwhp. that's farging amazing.

if money is no object and you've got all the tuning expertise at your disposal or you're a speedshop with a project car that you're trying to make your shop look good by exhibiting how your stock bottom end LS1 is making 700+ rwhp with a turbo.....well that's nice, but the average guy with an LS1 or 5.0 is not you.

skunk50

Established Member

the Supras just change to a larger single turbo and bigger fuel system.

those Lingenfelter Corvettes have stroker kits or a bigger motor dropped in. the Supra's motor is STOCK.

and the Vettes needs a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors also. how about the rear end. don't tell me their running that kind of time and HP/TQ with the stock IRS and stock halfshafts. and the transmission of an 8-9 sec Vette is NOT stock.

if the Vette is using a turbo or s/c, then that's even more parts that weren't stock.

if you want to count how many parts from stock an 8-9 second car is, the Supra is more stock than those Lingenfelter Vettes.

skunk50

Established Member
Originally posted by 281cobra
Hate to brust your bubble but those time are about the same as the 01 Cobra tested by C+D a few years ago. A stock 03/04 Cobra would kill a stock MkIV Supra. Don't believe me then read this:

uh, isn't 13.5 for a Cobra the same as 13.5 for Supra? depending on the driver, it could be a slight beating.....but to make it sound like a raping is kind of farfetched.

and those Supras with basic upgrades like a boost controller, testpipe, bov, racegas, etc. will make 420-440 rwhp. around $1200-1500.

all the bolt-ons on like exhaust, pulleys, etc. will not even come close to 400 rwhp for an n/a Cobra.

on the highway, pre-03 Cobras will get annihilated since the 5th gear on the Supra is 1:1 once the Cobra shifts into 5th, it's all over. and the Supra's aerodynamics is leaps and bound better than a Mustang's (which is a 1978 Fairmont platform).

now i would agree that with the same HP, the Cobra would win a dragrace due to more TQ (assuming both drivers are equal).

Users who are viewing this thread