Supras???

SVTWARR3N

Established Member
Originally posted by jasonc32amg
good power...but the external styling and the interior look like an abortion:xpl:
Yea those things are quick but look like ****ing complete JUNK.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by DenniSTi
AWD owns the 1/8 mile.

Not in the Grand Nationals case. ;-)

Experience from riding in my dads modded GN. Those cars launch so hard it feels like your hanging off the steering wheel.

What is most awsome about the Grand National is how cushy those mid 80's G-body seats are :D. It really amplifies the feel of the torque cause you literally sink into the seat and feel the cush close around you when you get on it. They didnt call the Grand National the last true muscle car for nothing.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTWARR3N
Yea those things are quick but look like ****ing complete JUNK.

Well, considering the years they were built, I wouldn't expect anything more. What, they were made from 1978 to 1987. I can't think of any car at that time with that great of styling or build that wasn't an exotic.

03CobraBro

Established Member
good power...but the external styling and the interior look like an abortion:xpl:

It takes an appreciation for muscle to see the Grand Nationals beauty. I actually think the Grand Nationals aesthetic attributes sometimes are more pleasing than my Cobra.

Its deffinatly the original Vadar car. Being around those cars for a good deal of my life it almost seems like the car has an aura about it, like its almost life like. Remember too, the Grand National is a flat out beast... and typically beasts arent supposed to be what most would consider charismatic. :p

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by U.S.A_Ownz
Are Grand Nationals just automatic? I hate that.

If you ever get the chance to drive a Grand National, you'll understand why they're all automatics pretty quick. :p

SVTWARR3N

Established Member
dude writes,

*They perform at or above the level of a ferrari, corvette, porsche. One of the fastest stopping vehicles ever tested by Car and Driver Magazine.* AHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHH! Yea right, My stock 97 Cobra is faster. I owned one it ran mid 14s

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
dude writes,

*They perform at or above the level of a ferrari, corvette, porsche. One of the fastest stopping vehicles ever tested by Car and Driver Magazine.* AHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHH! Yea right, My 97 stock Cobra is faster. I owned one it ran mid 14s

Well, he didn't say his does, so I would guess he is referring to a tuned Supra. Nice pitch though because people always misread things.

He couldn't be held liable if someone bought the car and felt it ran nothing like a Ferrari, Porsche or what ever it may be because he didn't actually say his car could do it.

Or something like that.........Yaaah...

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
YOUR NOT SERIOUS????????:eek:

Unfortunatly yes, some people have the money to throw away. It is a sick car, but I am not paying that much for a 8+year old car. 30-40k will sit my ass in a nice, brand new Cobra w/Mods:rolling:

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
YOUR NOT SERIOUS????????:eek:
I've seen them selling for near $50K with over $100K in the dash. Why? The Slow and The Timid built them up to be gods. They are dyno/race gas/highway queens. They can't race off a line, they can't race the quarter mile, most big hp supras can't fill up anywhere that doesn't serve 106 octane.
The motor is only half of the equation, getting all of that power to the ground is the second and most important level. Who GAS if you make 1,000hp on the stock block when you run a 13 second quarter mile :rollseyes
As for AWD owning the 1/8th.....AWD owns the 60' and thats about it. After that a 2wd will kill a AWD (of equal power).
I personally hate supras, and any japanese car for that matter, I make an exception for the japanese designed Enzo. But everyone seems to have a woody for the Supras. All you hear is "Supra this" "Supra that" :rollseyes They need all that hp to move that supra heavy body down the road. Someone should tell Toyota it's spelled super last time i checked supra was only a prefix

Evill Supra

Established Member
Hehe,

Some of you guys crack me up. The reason they hold their value is because they are built by Toyota, which spells quality throughout. Not only are they great accelarating cars stock-pulling low 13s in the 1/4 mile, but they can out brake and out handle most any car in its class. These numbers are still better then most sports cars built today. It is a car well ahead of its time. Check stats below from several magazines:

6 speed

MotorTrend-Feb-95-4.jpg

Automatic

mt594_08.jpg

Supercar comparison

mt893_12.jpg

The proof is in the pudding. Well maintained stock '97-'98 Supras will go for well over their sticker price 6 years ago. How much will your Cobra be worth in 6 years?

Steve K.

joegt38

Established Member
Evill Supra gotta point. Supras are BAD ASS and it is well ahead of its time. Also as far as it not being able to get off the line, thats nothing a lil shot of N20 cant fix ;-)

jasonc32amg

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
It takes an appreciation for muscle to see the Grand Nationals beauty. I actually think the Grand Nationals aesthetic attributes sometimes are more pleasing than my Cobra.

Its deffinatly the original Vadar car. Being around those cars for a good deal of my life it almost seems like the car has an aura about it, like its almost life like. Remember too, the Grand National is a flat out beast... and typically beasts arent supposed to be what most would consider charismatic. :p

I do appreciate muscle...my first ride was a 71 chevelle I biult up in high school... that said the interior of the GN is a crazy combination of disco and grandpa...

I respect the car's capabilities...but I would never own one.

joegt38

Established Member
I had an 86 GN and wish I still had it. Just like both cobra & supra the GN can be a real beast with minor mods.

electrikoptik

Get to the choppa!
Established Member
That is true, the supra still holds numerous records in car & driver, one of them being the fastest stopping car and one of the highest skidpad numbers tested.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I don't mean to cause too many waves in our ocean, but I'd have to disagree with P_Lomez.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cobra man, through and through, but Supra's do kick ass.

I've had the pleasure of driving two of them and made over than 20 passes on the dragstrip.

One in particular was a 94 Twin Turbo Supra with just basic bolt ons (boost controller, downpipe, intake, DR's) and an automatic tranny. We were running 12.0 flat at 118 mph all day. No joke. If it was a little cooler, I'm sure we would've hit 11's.

With the boost cranked up, there really wasn't much turbo lag at all. When you tapped the gas, the thing moved instantly. Granted there was a huge rush near the redline, but it still had plenty of power down low.

As for handling, it felt like it was on rails. Even more so than the 03 and Cobra's since it weighs less.

The Supra is a REAL performance car and not just another example of Rice. We should have more respect for our Supra friends.

Granted, I wouldn't trade my Cobra for one, but I'd like to have a single turbo Supra sitting next to it in the garage.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I do appreciate muscle...my first ride was a 71 chevelle I biult up in high school... that said the interior of the GN is a crazy combination of disco and grandpa...

I respect the car's capabilities...but I would never own one.

The first GN's or the T-types maybe, I have seen some crazy colors and designs, but the 84/87 GN interior was about as plain jane as you could get, black on grey. Disco and grandpa? I'm not sure what you mean unless your talking about the 81/82 GN's.

interior.jpg

Above is a picture of the GN interior, which is pretty much what all the interiors in the GN's looked like from 84/87, basic, black and grey G-body interior with bucket seats. Nothing disco about it at all.

81pace4.JPG

This is a picture of the 1981 Buick Regal Grand National which paced the Indianapolis 500. Now if thats the interior your talking about then you deffinatly have a point with your grandpa/disco remark. The early 80's bore yeild to some of the ugliest interior designs/colors ever put together no doubts there.

All in all though, unless your talking about the early "Before Black" GN's (pre 84's like the car in that last photo), there's really nothing disco about it in the least... 'Grandpa like' Maybe, but hey, its a Buick, what did you expect? :p

As far as you never owning one is concerned... Well what can a person say to that? You dont know what your missing. :shrug: It was deffinatly something back in the late 80's to be driving around in the fastest production car in the North America at the time.

P.S. The 86/87 were the intercooled cars, which were the ones that actually put the Grand National on the map. Those were the ones that did the quarter in the high 13's and 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. So when you here someone talk about how fast the Grand Nationals are, they're 9 times out of 10 refering to the GN's built in 86 and 87, which were all built long after the ones that came with the funkified disco interiors of the early 80's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread