Supercoupe trans trouble

wheelhopper

Established Member
A neighbor of mine has an '89 Supercoupe that he had in his garage for 9 years. He took it to a shop and got the fluids flushed and a tune up. The car has 80K miles. It runs good. The problem is when driving the car and having the trans in OD, its and auto, when the speed reaches around 40mph the trans acts like it is in neutral and just revs. When the speed is brought down below 40, it works again. It only does this in OD. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what was the problem?

chadder1313

Established Member
My guess is that the OD band is all but shot. Check the fluid in the Trans. I'm guessing its time for a rebuild. Those AODs are pretty weak.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I was guessing that since it only has issues in OD then something is probably worn that involves that gear. I am considering making the guy an offer on the car. I would prefer to swap in a 5 spd anyway.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Check the bushing on the tv cable at the Tbody.. If broken or tv cable is off. It will burn Od Band.

Renello79

Established Member
I had this same issue with my first bird, never got around to fixing it I just drove it in D (drive) for 3 years. I'd say get another one and either swap it out if it's good or have it reworked if you still need to use the car. Otherwise just pull it yourself and get it rebuilt, or do it yourself if you have the means.

Users who are viewing this thread