Supercharger surging/tuning problem

mechanicboy

Established Member
A new friend of mine has been having issues with tuning his coyote 5.0 after install the magnuson supercharger kit and headers on his F150. What he says its doing it surging at part throttle after he went from a 3.3 to a 3.1 pulley and getting dyno tuned. The tuner hasn't figured out what the problem is. I did some research on this and is seems like it's a tuning issue in most pd supercharger applications but I don't know what to cjange to fix it.

The second issue is that he feels that it isn't putting down full power in 1st and 2nd gear. Says it pulls to the moon in 3rd and up though. It's an automatic and he's disabling the traction control and stability control and ot changes nothing.

Any ideas? I'm super interested because I'm about to install the exact same setup.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is the bypass valve working properly? A pulley swap shouldn't all of sudden cause surging at part throttle.

As for power being limited in 1st and 2nd, is there some kind of torque management in the tune?

mechanicboy

Established Member
Is the bypass valve working properly? A pulley swap shouldn't all of sudden cause surging at part throttle.

As for power being limited in 1st and 2nd, is there some kind of torque management in the tune?

He said it worked fine until he changed the pulley and had it dyno tuned. The transmission has stock tuning on it so it's supposed to pull timing between shifts.

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
Sounds like a dead area in the TPS possibly. Ohm it out full swing see if it makes a drastic change mid way through the swing. Go slow.

corruptor

Established Member
This is due to the ECU torque management system closing the throttle body when it's sensing too much torque in an effort to protect the drivetrain.

I had the same issue with my TVS'd 2012 GT. Stock Edelbrock tune had really bad surging, and other tuners either wanted me to keep the car there for a week or two, or didn't know what I was talking about. BBR knew exactly what the issue was and fixed it through datalogged tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread