Supercharger Oil

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Lots of SC oil change threads that center around sucking the oil out through the fill plug.

But, on my VMP Gen3, when I remove the fill plug, there are innards that are blocking any way I could possibly get a syringe tube in there. There might be 1/16" of room.

How is the oil changed out on these? I don't mind pulling the blower off and pouring out the oil, but someone told me removing the snout is the only way?

PM-Performance

Established Member
more suction maybe? I have seen people draining by pulling the snout off though.
Why do you need to replace the oil already? Those blowers have only been out for what, 2 yrs?

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Well, I just don't know how it was used, nor do I know what the oil level is at.

Nothing comes out when I pull the fill plug. VMP says it takes exactly 4 oz, but no way to know if that's what I got.

On the flip side I didn't realize it had only been out 2 years. I admit it's highly unlikely to need changed from mileage, and the plug had not been removed before me (yellow paint still in place).

I need to pull the blower off real quick anyway. So, if I can drain it by just tipping it up on its face, why not?

08KR525

Established Member
I used a syringe with a piece of vacuum line that fit on the end of it. That way I could snake it to the bottom of the snout between the snout and the gears. If you’re removing the whole blower then you can just drain it by tipping it up.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I really think you are overthinking this. Its a sealed system. I dont think people just cook the fluid inside them, let alone in 2 years.
But sure, if its off you can probably tip it and drain it.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Thanks. Guys.

I came to the same conclusions - probably unnecessary but the blower was off. So, I tipped and emptied through the drain hole.

VMP says it's a 4 oz system. And I got EXACTLY 4 oz out.

The consensus is that ACDelco SC oil is the same as Eaton and Motorcraft oils and can be used here, right?

ACDelco is readily available on Amazon and reasonably priced ....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Well since GM uses Eaton superchargers on their production models, I have to think it's the same stuff.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Thanks. Guys.

I came to the same conclusions - probably unnecessary but the blower was off. So, I tipped and emptied through the drain hole.

VMP says it's a 4 oz system. And I got EXACTLY 4 oz out.

The consensus is that ACDelco SC oil is the same as Eaton and Motorcraft oils and can be used here, right?

ACDelco is readily available on Amazon and reasonably priced ....
Why not ask vmp? They have good customer service.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PM-Performance

Established Member
Is there a recommended change interval for the SC oil for our Shelby's?
Its a sealed system. My logic is these are realistically a no maintenance thing. Again, I do not think these are prone to cooking the oil. I could be really wrong, but I am pretty sure you will never see a maintenance interval listed for supercharger oil.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
VMP says 100k miles plus interval, with no change regardless of how the car is used.

Again, I had the blower off and had no way to measure level, so tipping it and refilling turned out to be easy and inexpensive piece of mind.

VMP says it takes 4oz. Tipping it, I got EXACTLY that must out and refilled with the same.

They were non-committal on whether the Eaton oil they sell at $35 is different than the ACDelco stuff I got for $12. I just used the ACDelco. It is allegedly synthetic and made for "all superchargers." The Internet is riddled with examples where people used it in lieu of Motorcraft or Eaton oil, so I went that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread