Supercharger for 01 Cobra, Eaton swap or N/A

Spectre9599

I'm looking for the best way to add some power to the 2001 Cobra I just picked up. I got this very nice condition convertible with just at 50k miles. It just has a borla exhaust and roush short shifter right now. It will practically be my daily driver. (Rain or snow I'll drive the truck, otherwise Ill be putting miles on the mustang) I'm not planning on doing anything to build the engine, so just pick up some extra power to make driving the county roads a little more fun. I won't ever be actually taking the car to the track or running it hard all the time. I think just a used blower and 4.10s would be perfect. Tune it conservatively to somewhere between 425-500 bhp (just somewhere reasonably safe for the internals). It may even actually help out my gas mileage with the 4.10s!

Since I'm not looking for any huge power gains, what's the cheapest I could find a used supercharger to fit my '01. Or what do you guys think the estimated cost would be if I could find someone to trade with for an Eaton swap? I didn't know how much of that was really going on anymore now that the cars are getting up over 15 years old! I would consider going N/A, but I figured if I was wanting around 450, that would be a more expensive route. This is just my daily driver so I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.

I know this subject has been well discussed for the 01's, but all the information I have found has been fairly dated. So I was looking for a better, more current, cost estimate and what everyone's opinions were of the options today.

Thoughts?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hard to say what you can find for pricing nowadays but I bet you could be all said and done for under $3k. My 99 Cobra has been supercharged for 5 years now. At that time I picked up a Vortech E-trim, MAF and the piping for $1100. Later on added a CX racing intercooler and PMAS blow through MAF for $800. Add in fuel and dynotune and I was around $2600.

I recall hearing Eaton swaps were around $3k. I looked into it but decided it was a bit tougher to pull off than the centri route.

Let me know if you'd like any more info, I learned quite a bit doing the install and could offer some advice on what supporting parts needed to be bought.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I couldn't tell you cost anymore. But finding an eaton swap seems to be harder and harder as the parts aren't being made anymore. I ran a centri on my 01 for a long time. I really liked that set up. I'd look around for a used centri set up personally. It'll go better with your 4.10's than an eaton. And even a P1 will hit your power goal.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
3k Eaton swap installed! Sorry to report, those days are gone! One can always get lucky though! Good luck OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectre9599

Sounds like centri is probably the route I will take then. I figured a roots / twin screw would still go well with the 4.10's, especially if I'm not looking for big power. Love to have that instant extra low end power! I figured it would be difficult to to find an eaton swap though. I guess it's just time to move to the market section! ;)

Let me know if you'd like any more info, I learned quite a bit doing the install and could offer some advice on what supporting parts needed to be bought.

That would be very helpful! I know the basics of everything going on, but as far as a total parts list or specifically making sure I had everything I needed, I have no idea lol. I was hoping to find someone selling basically everything I needed as a one stop shop.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Sounds like centri is probably the route I will take then. I figured a roots / twin screw would still go well with the 4.10's, especially if I'm not looking for big power. Love to have that instant extra low end power! I figured it would be difficult to to find an eaton swap though. I guess it's just time to move to the market section! ;)

Generally 4.10's with a PD blower ends in a spin fest. Even with a good tire. A local guy ran 4.10's with his pullied eaton and he hated it. I think he was stuck in the high 12's at the track. He ended up going back to 3.55's.

My other advice would be to get an intercooler from the get go. And run the MAF in a blow through set up.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Even with an Eaton the 4V modular is a SLUG under 3500 rpms, no such thing as instant low end power...

Spectre9599

Even with an Eaton the 4V modular is a SLUG under 3500 rpms, no such thing as instant low end power...

Ha, yea that's part of what I was trying to remedy! I know it's never going to be a low rpm powerhouse... I just figured it would at least make a more powerful slug! :p When talking about that I was mainly thinking about how I thought it would really help out the daily driver aspects, and provide instant torque. I have seen several people mention, especially with 4.10s, being perfectly fine skipping 1st gear. I just figured the extra power from the SC, especially if it were a pd blower due to the instant torque, would make this easier.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving the car and I got a standard for a reason (well I wanted a cobra lol), but 1st already just lasts until like what, 10 mph?, before the exhaust starts getting loud with the borlas. Typically in first hardly at all even before the 4.10s.

I could see several reasons for skipping 1st, hopefully I won't get flamed for my opinions lol

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I ran a centri when I drove my 01 as a daily. Never felt like I was at a loss for torque with it. Yeah, you have to think about downshifting once in a while, but really it's not much different than what you're doing now. Just when you downshift things happen faster with the blower.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Even 4.10s with a centri will spin pretty easily. I went to 3.73 and that seems to work real well

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

termcobra281

Established Member
If you are still interested in a Eaton set up for your car PM me ... I am swapping into a turbo and removing all my parts

Users who are viewing this thread