Supercharged Cobra

Doctor Bob

Established Member
Guys and Gals,

Any gearheads able to tell me about torque and horsepower curves with Vortech supercharger with aftercooler? I added these to 01 Cobra and Vortech only gives peak horsepower and torque(490/420). I called their customer service and I got the run around.

Thanks,

Doctor Bob ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
We could speculate till the cows come home. The answer lies in what RPM are you asking about power at? Your dyno is going to probably look like a incline all the way to redline on HP where TQ will rise to about 5200 then start to decrease. Get that monster dyno'd for your best results, they might surprise you. ;-)

Doctor Bob

Established Member
Dear GR8White,

Thanks for the suggestion Big Fish! When I get time I will have to get dyno done. Had fun today-Porsche Boxster S tried to blow me off the line-he was at my rear bumper till I shifted into 3rd then he fell back rapidly when he realized all was for naught!!

Catch You Later GR8White,

Dr Bob

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Doctor Bob
Dear GR8White,

Thanks for the suggestion Big Fish! When I get time I will have to get dyno done. Had fun today-Porsche Boxster S tried to blow me off the line-he was at my rear bumper till I shifted into 3rd then he fell back rapidly when he realized all was for naught!!

Catch You Later GR8White,

Dr Bob

Get some 3.73's and third gear will only be used for making them feel bad. :coolman: :-D

CobraF/I

Established Member
Hey Doctor Bob

hey guys, I'm new here. I were looking at this site and noticed that Doctor Bob had the same system I'm getting put on my 99 Cobra. I was just wondering how you like it, and if there is anything I should look out for. BTW, did you have to relocate your battery? I was told I had to. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, but I told them to go ahead. If you can help me out, that would be great. Thanks!:chicken:

PS: Haha, sorry about the chicken, I've never seen so many "smilies" before, couldn't resist;-)

Doctor Bob

Established Member
Dear CobraF/I,

Yes-the battery had to be relocated to trunk but kit from Vortech is very clean in trunk. The only problem I had initially was the engine cutting out 4500-5000 rpm when supercharger was installed. The installer Stillen in Costa Mesa, Calif. rapidly diagnosed spark problem that was solved by re-gapping the sparkplugs. The blower doesn't seem to make big impact till about 5000 rpm. I am thinking of changing ring pinion gearing to get out off the line quicker.

Good Luck!

Doctor Bob ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Hey Bob

You may want to try Ford Motorcraft Plugs. AWSF-22C being the part number. They will be a little colder than the stock plugs,, of copper design (much better for N2O/Turbo/SC), will richen the car up slightly. Which is better for top end HP on an SC'd car. I used the NGK compatible plugs on my 97 Cobra. Gap should be between .032 and .036 to prevent spark blowout. Which is what you were having @ around 5000 RPM's. :beer:

CobraF/I

Established Member
Great, thanks! I'm happy to hear that battery relocation won't mess up my trunk too much (I have a convertible, so I'm really not concerned about what little trunk space I have left, just how it looks). I'll keep an eye out for that 4500-5000 trouble you mentioned. I'll talk with the guy that will install this system and maybe I can nip this problem in the butt before it even presents itself. GR8WHITE, I'll also keep those plugs in mind, thanks! I may change my gears to 4.10's but I'm not sure, as you guys know, the Cobra is hurtin for gas milage as it is! Thanks again guys!:beer:

:chicken:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Jacobs electronics has a nice relocation kit, if you don't like the looks of the Vortech one. It is kind of high, but worth the extra money if you want a clean,nice looking, and functional relocation. Gotta love the stainless battery box.:D

Users who are viewing this thread