Supercharged 5.2 discussion

Voltwings

Established Member
Boost is not directly related to horsepower, especially when comparing different engines and compressors, it's only a measurement of restriction between the compressor and cylinder head really.

For that reason you SHOULD be hoping it only runs 12 psi from the factory, as opposed to 15-18 or whatever, because that means this package flows incredibly well.

Dusten

Established Member
Boost is not directly related to horsepower, especially when comparing different engines and compressors, it's only a measurement of restriction between the compressor and cylinder head really.

For that reason you SHOULD be hoping it only runs 12 psi from the factory, as opposed to 15-18 or whatever, because that means this package flows incredibly well.
Depends on pulley setup. 12psi with the same as a motor making 15 with the same blower and pulley means its flowing better.

1FASFKR

Established Member
What Dusten said...plus they are cheaper/help keep costs down. Ford and Chebby's cost/benefit analysis leaned TVS. Dodge's didn't.

Dodge uses IHI twin screw blowers on the Hellcat and Demon.

Interesting. Dodge has had to replace many IHI blowers too. The dreaded bearing failure.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The weight topic shouldn't be a surprise. Do the math. Big heavy TVS, DCT, mammoth wheel/tire combo, gigantic heavy rotors, lots of cooling hardware/fluids/brackets, mandatory backup cam and the necessary AV shit to go with it, blah blah blah.
Still take one all day long, but I need to retire in a few years. lol

conceptmachine

Established Member
One thing to note is a dct can shift faster than an auto. Most calculators aren’t quite right for dct cars.

Case in point, a Ford gt is 3400lbs and 640hp. I just used a Wallace racing calculator and it found the peak performance would be 10.16@132 with 3 shifts

Car and driver went 10.8@134 iirc

To put the perspective in place, the gt500 is basically as fast in the 1/4 mile as the Ford GT. 10.8@133 vs 10.8@134

It’s hard to believe but given the right conditions, this 4200lbs car probably won’t be far off the pace of a 3400lbs Le Mans winner at a circuit like MRLS.

I’d guess 1:31/2 for a GT, 1:33 for a gt500 and 1:34 for a 1le zl1 and about 11 seconds later a demon.

That demon has 1 second at the strip though. Just don’t do any freeway pulls past 165. Demon has the win from 0-165, if it’s on race gas, seats pulled and on slicks, but then it’s 20 seconds behind at MLRS.

at 3600 lbs and 640hp the GTs lb/ HP is 5.312
If you give the GT500 4200 lbs and 780 HP, the lb/hp is 5.3 ish. Hopefully that's where we're at currently

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’m hoping for 755 or 772hp, but I’m anticipating 725-750hp.

Regardless, go look up manual e46 m3 and a dct m3, it’s surprising how much of a difference it makes. It’s like 103 vs 106mph trap speed stock. Modded it’s 5-6mph+. A guy posted how his experience was that it was easy to get 135mph with 6xxwhp and dct in e46’s, but cars with 7xxwhp struggled to break 130 with manuals

In 03 cobra world, auto swap cars break 130mph with 5xxwhp, but manual cars struggle to break 130mph with 6xxwhp.

You can get a hell of a hotshoe like Ranger or Evan Smith, and the fun of a manual is man-handling it to a time no one else is getting.

That said, winning is winning, and most drivers are crap.

Example, I’m a great shoe, but trying to show off the other day while scooping a coworker, I lined up at a light in my daily driver, and attempted to keep pace with an Wrx. I’m in a manual nearly stock front drive gm with an ecotec, 270whp and 80k miles. I blew the tires off (15°) and missed 2nd (I blame colder synchros). Wrx was definitely cvt or whatever because he smoked my old man valet crappy ass driving.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

I’m well aware of all those points. But if hits all of Ford Performance’s targets at 12psi, then I’ll crank it to 16+ for mine :)
Seriously though, you’re correct in that you want to hit your goal with minimum boost necessary and the best flowing combos hit that target with less boost. Regardless however, as long as you aren’t out of supercharger, adding more blower speed (boost) will increase both power and boost.
It’ll be very interesting to see the comparison between the TVS 2650 on the GT500s 5.2 and the ZR1 6.2.
That’ll tell you about engine flow.
-J

Blackdevil77

Established Member
If I'm lucky enough to be able to swing one of these as I was with the 2014 GT500, I'm definitely not modifying it this time. Somehow, I always end up regretting it. Especially if this car traps over 130 mph as rumored, I'm definitely not touching a thing. I keep seeing Youtube videos claiming the 2020 GT500 is already a failure because it's only a "sub 11 second car." If the car runs a sub 11 second time with a crappy 3.5 second 0-60, then the top end has to be monstrous. Some radials and it'll be deep into the 10's.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If I'm lucky enough to be able to swing one of these as I was with the 2014 GT500, I'm definitely not modifying it this time. Somehow, I always end up regretting it. Especially if this car traps over 130 mph as rumored, I'm definitely not touching a thing. I keep seeing Youtube videos claiming the 2020 GT500 is already a failure because it's only a "sub 11 second car." If the car runs a sub 11 second time with a crappy 3.5 second 0-60, then the top end has to be monstrous. Some radials and it'll be deep into the 10's.
Agreed.
I also won’t be modding as much as my 2014, but that’s because I have different goals with this car and that DCT is unproven tech.
Still, if it only comes with 12psi, you’ll be able to unlock good power with more boost and octane. I’m thinking pulley, injectors, E85 tune for mine. But like the ‘13-14, I’m not in a rush and want a second year car, so others will be pushing the limits and will be wise to learn from.
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
One thing to note is a dct can shift faster than an auto. Most calculators aren’t quite right for dct cars.

Case in point, a Ford gt is 3400lbs and 640hp. I just used a Wallace racing calculator and it found the peak performance would be 10.16@132 with 3 shifts

Car and driver went 10.8@134 iirc

To put the perspective in place, the gt500 is basically as fast in the 1/4 mile as the Ford GT. 10.8@133 vs 10.8@134

It’s hard to believe but given the right conditions, this 4200lbs car probably won’t be far off the pace of a 3400lbs Le Mans winner at a circuit like MRLS.

I’d guess 1:31/2 for a GT, 1:33 for a gt500 and 1:34 for a 1le zl1 and about 11 seconds later a demon.

That demon has 1 second at the strip though. Just don’t do any freeway pulls past 165. Demon has the win from 0-165, if it’s on race gas, seats pulled and on slicks, but then it’s 20 seconds behind at MLRS.

What if I told you that it's ACTUALLY faster than a FGT on a lot of tracks?

Joe Buchanan

Established Member
Agreed.
I also won’t be modding as much as my 2014, but that’s because I have different goals with this car and that DCT is unproven tech.
Still, if it only comes with 12psi, you’ll be able to unlock good power with more boost and octane. I’m thinking pulley, injectors, E85 tune for mine. But like the ‘13-14, I’m not in a rush and want a second year car, so others will be pushing the limits and will be wise to learn from.
-J
My thoughts 4:10 gears rear suspension mods Mickey T drag radials first

olaosunt

Established Member
Here is an example of what a “5.2” will make upping the boost /20 psi .
Blower is a 3.2 KB/3.25 upper pulley/20% OD and heads are stock GT (car used to have GT 350 heads and trapped 145-148 mph with bigger 3.5 pulley). Transmission is 2.66 first gear Magnum XL with 3.31 rear end.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Agreed.
Still, if it only comes with 12psi, you’ll be able to unlock good power with more boost and octane.
-J

It'll be interesting to see what mods FR offers up with any type of CARB EO. We are definitely reaching a point where they are extremely careful about bumping up power. Witness the GT350 where they essentially backed off of both a TB and TracKey after hinting to the press that they were coming. A Borla exhaust is about as far as they went with anything that could increase horsepower.

Whoa.

conceptmachine

Established Member
now your talking my language.
Tell me it's faster than a FGT at the strip and I may be a little happier but I'm content with "a lot of tracks"

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Drag strip, all day I’d believe it.

Circuits, I’d say:

It’s possible, fr gives more confidence than mr layouts, and most driver drive hp.

I think a pro would usually be faster in the GT but ameratuer to decent drivers are probably able to get more out of the gt500.

I’ve seen people tie their lap times in a gallardo with slightly modded amg sedans... they weren’t getting all out of the Gallardo but got most out of the AMG.

I’d be shocked to learn the gt500 same day and professional driver could out lap a gt but these days it feels like every day is a new frontier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread