Suggestions on engine bay appearance

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I enjoy going to car shows during the warmer months like most of us. My car is not perfect but there are no major blemishes (no dings, big rock chips, etc) and draws a nice amount of attention at shows. The sonic blue paint shines like new & looks flawless after a nice detail job. However, I can't seem to place much less win my class at any car show and I believe it's because the engine bay is such a mess. Since the last show, I have added billetflow's full set of pulleys and a UPR brushed finish radiator shroud. I have a sonic blue JLT cai kit sitting in the box and I custom painted a set of stock coil covers in sonic blue. In the mail, I have moroso's aluminum coolant overflow tank, aluminum blower coolant tank, and their aluminum power steering tank. I plan on ordering some more billet caps and covers from UPR for the brake fluid reservoir, fuse box, etc. I don't know that a little bling will be enough to put my car into contention at shows though. What do you guys do to clean up your engine bay & help make it a winner?

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Here is my Sonic Blue Engine Bay, maybe it will give you some ideas.

I'd like to eventually change some things around but for now I think it will suffice.

IMG_3136.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just a couple of suggestions which will help your car POP in the eyes of the judges at a show.
1. Lower your car for a nicer looking stance.
2. Add a nice set of chrome or polished wheels.
3. Add a stainless set of bumper letter inserts.
4. Add some quality polished aluminum or polished stainless steel items to your engine bay because IMO the polished metal goes nice with Sonic Blue paint. My polished Eaton always got a lot of compliments at car shows.
5. Add a nice set of aftermarket brake rotors and calipers. A buddy once had an awesome set of Baer brakes and brakes definitely do show through most wheels.
6. Detail your engine bay. Don't just detail your exterior and interior. Every time you wash your car after, clean the engine bay. Nothing worse that a dirty looking engine bay.

All this said, I had a 1994 Camaro Z-28 that was extensively modified by Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT. The interior was custom leather. The paint was Corvette Red (done by Callaway's shop) and it had very expensive Brembo F-40 brakes (over $3K for the set). I pretty much did everything I mentioned above and kept the car ALWAYS clean. For every major show I even removed each wheel to detail them. I entered two major Super Chevy Shows and won in both against a lot of good competition. I still have my Best of Class custom embroidered jacket I won at one of those Shows. So it pays to pay attention to the details if you're looking to win at a show. You really want YOUR car to stand out. Look at your own car as if you were a judge. How would you rate it against other similar cars? And then go at it (or whatever your goals and budget can afford).

Best of luck!

pony23

Established Member
Lets see some pictures of what it looks like now. Seeing it we might see some little things that might give you an edge.

venom04svt

Established Member
I agree adding chrome and polished components to your engine bay will make it look a lot nicer but if the parts that are black are dirty gray it will make it look even worse, use a engine bay dressing and it will make everything look wet and with the added bling you have a winning combo..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree adding chrome and polished components to your engine bay will make it look a lot nicer but if the parts that are black are dirty gray it will make it look even worse, use a engine bay dressing and it will make everything look wet and with the added bling you have a winning combo..

For sure that is true. Same goes with dirty stock brake calipers and rust on the rotors. Or even dirty/dull tires. Tire dressing is a must. You definitely have to detail the whole car, not just parts of it. Everything the judges' eyes will see has to look perfect and interesting. Hence my recommendation for new brakes (drilled rotors and powder coated calipers). Then again, some shows have higher levels of judging than others. Heck, I've been to more than one when the major criteria was that you were a member of the Club sponsoring the car show. I hate when that happens.

Crazy Ray

Established Member
I have always believed in KISS(Keep I Simple Stupid). In the military,they paid close attention to detail and my car is the same. If you can see the dirt, so can the judges or those who are judging. The interior and exterior are always clean ,but the engine bay thats were people look the hardest. If you can see it, they can to.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
If you are going to Ford only or Mustang only shows, enjoy it but do not expect anything. When I take the Cobra to open shows not too many people have seen our toys. I have several trophies from that type of shows. And remember sometimes the further you drive; those shows are likely to be impressed.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Farthest away would be about three hours just over the state line to a friend's hometown. They always have a nice little show. It's laid back and I spend the weekend there grilling, detailing, throwing back cold ones. Doubt that's far enough to impress anybody but its as far as I want to go.
As for Ford only shows, there aren't any in this area. This is a rural area & most of the shows are pretty low key with a couple hundred cars. The exception is one about half an hour from me which is on father's day & always has a nice turnout. Unfortunately, I don't stand a chance at that show. The owners of the company which hold the HVAC contract for the facilities where the show is held always bring several cars. Ironically, every car said company brings goes home with a first place trophy:dw::bs:

Users who are viewing this thread