Suggestions for a good work pickup

cj428mach

Established Member
Our family business is construction and our company motto is that our pick up trucks are just going to be driven into the ground and they don't make us money they only cost us money. Its our heavy equipment that makes the money. Having said that I'm looking for a 1/2ton pickup thats extended or crew cab, 4x4 and a good platform to run 250-300k miles. We're a ford family but we have quite a few 5.4 3v's and we all know what kind of issues they can have. This has me leaning towards a 2011+ coyote truck or an ecoboost truck, are those good reliable drivetrains capable of running a ton of miles?

If not what about the GM's, I'd assume a pushrod LS will go a ton of miles as well, but I don't have any experience with them.

I'm not really a dodge fan so wasn't really considering them.

I'm hoping to find a sub 100k mile truck, 4x4, extended/crew cab for 20k or under. I would prefer to find leather because the only real occupant or push for a leather and crew cab is I have a 4 year old daughter and we all know how kids can make messes.

Anyone have any thoughts?

tistan

Established Member
It doesn't sound like you are moving the heavy equipment with this truck. If this is get small loads and ride around and check jobs in this truck, then buy the nicest truck you can afford. I have subs that I won't let on a job with a homeowner because their operation looks like a fly by night and it reflects poorly on me. Also, a 1/2 ton with over 200k miles is going to need a lot of maintenance. Do you have the down time to deal with maintenance?

cj428mach

Established Member
It doesn't sound like you are moving the heavy equipment with this truck. If this is get small loads and ride around and check jobs in this truck, then buy the nicest truck you can afford. I have subs that I won't let on a job with a homeowner because their operation looks like a fly by night and it reflects poorly on me. Also, a 1/2 ton with over 200k miles is going to need a lot of maintenance. Do you have the down time to deal with maintenance?

I don't disagree with you on some of that but part of it is my Father's business philosophy. If it was entirely up to me it would be buying slightly used and getting rid of them at around 200k if not sooner if they fail. We supply construction materials and our delivery trucks make the money so thats where the emphasis on better equipment is. Pickup trucks are just fleet support vehicles and are of less importance to us.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Find a F150 with a 6.2L. Think they were made in a somewhat limited fashion from 2011-14

There are multiple 2010-14 Raptors over 200k with minor issues(same engine). A few over 300k with no issues
Same gas engine that was/in the SD lineup. With some cam/tune differences

Sure a handful of F250's+ are in those mileage clubs too.

Not sure if they are in your price range but if I wanted a modern 1/2ton to have the ability to last up to 200-300k the 6.2L by ford would be my #1 choice.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Anything with less than 100k is over $20k right now.
I will never question you on that because this is your expertise and you're in my region. Checking out Facebook Marketplace it seems like 90k-135k mileage vehicles can range for high teens to low to mid 20's. Obviously if I'm on the higher end of the mileage range it'll be cheaper, if I'm in the lower mileage it will be north of 20k. We have the money to buy something 10x as expensive, in cash but thats not how we look at pickup trucks. Because we have the money we aren't locked into a true "budget" its just what is preferred and I don't want to budget creep my way up to a 2022 F250 Platinum or something, lol.

I'm wanting a 10yr old 1/2 ton pickup that can make 250k miles, what platform can do that without major design flaws?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I will never question you on that because this is your expertise and you're in my region. Checking out Facebook Marketplace it seems like 90k-135k mileage vehicles can range for high teens to low to mid 20's. Obviously if I'm on the higher end of the mileage range it'll be cheaper, if I'm in the lower mileage it will be north of 20k. We have the money to buy something 10x as expensive, in cash but thats not how we look at pickup trucks. Because we have the money we aren't locked into a true "budget" its just what is preferred and I don't want to budget creep my way up to a 2022 F250 Platinum or something, lol.

I'm wanting a 10yr old 1/2 ton pickup that can make 250k miles, what platform can do that without major design flaws?

I'd go with a 2011 F-150 5.0L, or a same age Chevy with the 5.3L.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd go with a 2011 F-150 5.0L, or a same age Chevy with the 5.3L.
I appreciate that. I think thats what I'd prefer is a V8 and the direction I'll push. I've never heard though how have the ecoboosts been holding up long term.

velocicaur

Established Member
I just did a quick search and a new GM 4wd W/T is 35k.

That would give you 100k miles for $15k compared to buying a used truck which is a great deal. You might as well enjoy the first 100k rather than dealing with the last 100k.

Edit: Scratch that. Didn't see the leather. That really changes things.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
We have a 350 at work with a 6.2 that has at least 200k on it. We use it to pickup and haul brick. Been a good truck w/zero issues. No sure of the year.

Blackedout

Established Member
I’ve had (2) F-150 2.7 eco’s And put 150k + on them with just tires/oil/brakes/trans flush... they get 24 mpg

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
My first choice would be anything 2014 and under F-150 with the 5.0. I have a friend who bought his 2013 F-150 new with the 5.0 and it has been a good truck. He has over 80,000 miles on it with no issues using it as a truck. The bed sides over the fender wells are rusting out due to Ford quality issues but that is it. Still has the original ford battery too.

My second choice, 2014-2018(previous body style to the current one) Chrevrolet or GMC 1/2 ton truck with the 5.3. They’re an amazing engine and just run. They do have issues with the lifter failures but not near as common on the older truck if you keep the oil changed. I have an uncle with a 2wd 2018 Silverado work truck with the 5.3 he bought with under 20,000 miles on it. He has over 80,000 miles on it now. Zero issues. He pulls a toy hauler, ditch witch and multiple other things with it often. It rides nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nothing wrong with the Eco-boost platform as long as you perform proper maintenance on them. I have seen many with well over 200K miles. If you want to change oil and filter every 10K miles, forget about it.
The new GM stuff, especially the V-8 platform is just horrible. They have huge lifter issues that bend pushrods like crazy. It is the DOD (displacement on demand) that goes bad and bends the pushrods. (hangs the lifters up and causes PTV issues)
The joke at the Chevrolet Dealership I work at is that when doing a PDI on a new truck, it will be back for lifters and pushrods before the first oil change is due.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nothing wrong with the Eco-boost platform as long as you perform proper maintenance on them. I have seen many with well over 200K miles. If you want to change oil and filter every 10K miles, forget about it.
The new GM stuff, especially the V-8 platform is just horrible. They have huge lifter issues that bend pushrods like crazy. It is the DOD (displacement on demand) that goes bad and bends the pushrods. (hangs the lifters up and causes PTV issues)
The joke at the Chevrolet Dealership I work at is that when doing a PDI on a new truck, it will be back for lifters and pushrods before the first oil change is due.
We have a like 15 2.7 with over 200k that’s been fine at work. Pretty sure the oil change is at 5k on all our stuff except the diesels.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford trucks have too many cams and engines that are too complicated for what you describe, OP.

The answer for you is a 99-06 2500HD GM truck with the iron 6.0 pushrod v8. This motor will literally never die. They have been pulled apart at 300k miles only to find cross hatch still in the cylinder walls. They are very overbuilt motors.

I say 2500HD because you will then have the 4l80e trans that is also near indestructible. The 4l60 in the half ton is weaker and less desirable IMO for a work truck.

We have a 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 and 4l80 with 220k miles--Only thing i have done to that truck is change fluids and a brake booster. Trans is original and has never been rebuilt, motor is also original and still has 42psi hot oil pressure at idle.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford trucks have too many cams and engines that are too complicated for what you describe, OP.

The answer for you is a 99-06 2500HD GM truck with the iron 6.0 pushrod v8. This motor will literally never die. They have been pulled apart at 300k miles only to find cross hatch still in the cylinder walls. They are very overbuilt motors.

I say 2500HD because you will then have the 4l80e trans that is also near indestructible. The 4l60 in the half ton is weaker and less desirable IMO for a work truck.

We have a 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 and 4l80 with 220k miles--Only thing i have done to that truck is change fluids and a brake booster. Trans is original and has never been rebuilt, motor is also original and still has 42psi hot oil pressure at idle.

01 2500HD 8.1 Allison 5 speed here 150k all towing and dump runs. Still runs great. Couple of calipers over the years and general fixings.

Users who are viewing this thread