Suggestion...Gutted Cats/Whipple 2.3

DICobra

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I currently have Gutted cats on my Bassani X pipe with Midlengths and Borla stingers, I am debating if to Weld my Gutted cats or not because I have exhaust leak on the cats. Should I buy High flow cats or just weld them in the pipes. My Cobra is due for a Dynotune with my Gen II 2.3 Whipple 3.5/4# set up and supporting fuel mods. Will it help add Horsepower with the Gutted cats with my set up? What are the advantages of running Gutted cats? Thank you Guys :)

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, since it is CA, I would suggest just buying a set of the Bassani high flow cats either used, or new if you can't find a set in the classifieds. You won't lose more than maybe 10hp at peak, and your car will be able to pass smog, and be completely worry free from an inspection standpoint. If you didn't have to pass the testing, then I would just buy a set of the slip in pipes that Bassani makes to replace the cats. Personally, I see no compelling reason to run catless anyway, unless you are running large, longtube headers, and your car is mainly for track use.

DICobra

Established Member
Well, since it is CA, I would suggest just buying a set of the Bassani high flow cats either used, or new if you can't find a set in the classifieds. You won't lose more than maybe 10hp at peak, and your car will be able to pass smog, and be completely worry free from an inspection standpoint. If you didn't have to pass the testing, then I would just buy a set of the slip in pipes that Bassani makes to replace the cats. Personally, I see no compelling reason to run catless anyway, unless you are running large, longtube headers, and your car is mainly for track use.

Thank you:) Gutted cats can help with HP/TQ with my set up? I'll just deal with the smog when smog time comes. :(

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thank you:) Gutted cats can help with HP/TQ with my set up? I'll just deal with the smog when smog time comes. :(

The gutted cats may give you a small amount of increase, but not enough to deal with the potential hassles, smells, etc inmo. I also think that the car sounds better/less raspy with the cats, but that is more of a personal taste thing. I personally hate raspy exhaust, and cars that pop during decell, but some seem to like that, and want it as loud and obnoxious as possible.

DICobra

Established Member
The gutted cats may give you a small amount of increase, but not enough to deal with the potential hassles, smells, etc inmo. I also think that the car sounds better/less raspy with the cats, but that is more of a personal taste thing. I personally hate raspy exhaust, and cars that pop during decell, but some seem to like that, and want it as loud and obnoxious as possible.

Good point... I'll try o search where I can get a good deal on a new or used Bassani Cats :(.... Thank you :)

cobracide

Established Member

I had popcorn city with my 2001, Bassani-x with cats and Magnaflow catback.
Thought it was sort of cool, but the bass rumble of my MRT H w/cats and Borla is way better. No popping going on anymore.

Last edited:

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
My '01 cobra is catless and extremely raspy and loud with its MAC O/R Pro-chamber and Bassani Cat-back.

Users who are viewing this thread