Sudden clutch cable slop

Slow99x

Established Member
So last night I was driving my car around town and all of a sudden I couldn't get my car into gear and my clutch pedal felt soft. I pulled over and noticed a ton of slack in the clutch cable. I have a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster and both of those were in the same spot that they have been in since I got my clutch replaced a year ago. I had to move the firewall adjuster almost all the way out just to drive it home and getting it into 3rd gear is a PITA.

I've searched the forums and haven't come up with anything that seems to apply to my situation.

Why would my FWA sit in one spot for a year and then just suddenly need to be moved all the way out?

Mods are Spec 3 clutch w/ flywheel, UPR quick release quadrant, UPR FWA

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Is it the OEM cable? Had that problem years ago with a Fox Mustang, but discovered that all the aftermarket cables suck - they stretch and pull apart. Hope a new Ford cable will take care of it.

Digital

Established Member
Cables on these cars seem to stretch a lot. I wouldn't worry about it, just buy another.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Clutch cable on my 01 has 150k. Still nice and tight.

Ford clutch cable = win

VincodeY

Established Member
take the clutch cover thing off the tranny and look and see that everything is fine there but it looks like you will need a new cable. Get a new OEM, if so.

Slow99x

Established Member
So this is the mess I pulled out today. It was stuck between the k-member and some body panel. After I replaced the cable it felt like a clutch from a Honda. It was the lightest I have ever felt it.
4532e691.jpg

The amount of pressure had pealed back the outer jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread