Subwoofer Box Question

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Picked up a Zen Enclosure specific for my S550 and was curious on the polyfill. The box requires a .87 but the speaker is a 1.15. Will the polyfill help or hurt the situation? Thanks in advance. -Shane

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Doubt it will have much impact at all, but if anything, I'd wager it will hurt the situation.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
putting a speaker in a smaller than designed box will make the response roll off slightly faster below Fs. in other words, bottom end will be slightly cut off and it can sometimes make for a boomy sound. the upside to this is that you slightly increase potential power handling capabilities.

adding polyfill can sometimes make a box produce a slightly deeper tone, but its subtle. rue of thumb is 1lb for every cubic foot.

if you already own the sub and the box, add just under a pound of poly and just go with it. EQ the bottom end and pay attention to the 50Hz+area, you may need to cut frequency response above that to stop the boomy sound. itll probably be ok though in all honesty.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
putting a speaker in a smaller than designed box will make the response roll off slightly faster below Fs. in other words, bottom end will be slightly cut off and it can sometimes make for a boomy sound. the upside to this is that you slightly increase potential power handling capabilities.

adding polyfill can sometimes make a box produce a slightly deeper tone, but its subtle. rue of thumb is 1lb for every cubic foot.

if you already own the sub and the box, add just under a pound of poly and just go with it. EQ the bottom end and pay attention to the 50Hz+area, you may need to cut frequency response above that to stop the boomy sound. itll probably be ok though in all honesty.
It was tuff finding a good sub at .087 to be honest. I can easily buy another if I find one that would compliment the box better. The 1.15 was the lowest so I'm hoping the polyfil will help in that aspect.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Filling the box makes the driver see it as slightly 'larger' than it actually is, so it's likely to help a bit.

-edit- you could try to adapt it to a 10 or 8 inch driver, to get some more wiggle room, it looks to be a 12 inch driver?

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ran by the stereo shop today. Seems they have to run the 500 rms sub at 2ohms which is 1000 watts. They are not thrilled about that as they said it will not hold. They recommended changing the box up and adding more air or going with a larger sub, an ARC Audio 12" which is 900rms. Going ahead with the install and I can change the box or sub up if I am not happy or blow this one.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It was tuff finding a good sub at .087 to be honest. I can easily buy another if I find one that would compliment the box better. The 1.15 was the lowest so I'm hoping the polyfil will help in that aspect.

12" Kicker Solobaric only requires .88 cubic feet. (It's square though)
Most of those "custom" boxes are for looks only. They don't really care what the internal volume is when they manufacture them. They just want them to look good.
Build your own box, it's much more satisfying.

Blown 89

Established Member
Build your own. You could even take out the interior siding of the trunk and mold it to the trunk wall and end up with more trunk space. It's not hard.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
the problem is that the driver itself is going to take up additional space in the enclosure so that E series or SA sub is not going to see .87cf, its going to be looking at .7cf most likely. now youre nearing half the recommended minimum and at this point, below about 50Hz, its going to roll off pretty hard. that means youre going to have to eq the hell out of it to get it flat sounding again and that means its going to see a lot of unnecessary cone movement for the power.

does the box have to be vehicle specific? if youre buying prefab boxes, id recommend staying with a sealed box as you really need to build a box to compliment the sub for best performance. if if doesnt need to be vehicle specific, then theres tons of prefabs to chose from with more volume for a 12" sub.

heres two non vehicle specific boxes id recommend, in no order:

http://belvaproducts.com/mdfs1215-1-5-cu-ft-single-12-sealed-mdf-subwoofer-enclosure/

3/4" MDF construction
polyfill lined
1.5cf, 1.4cf when loaded
16"L x 17"D x 13-1/2"H

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-60-encl...w7-12-ground-shaker-12-single-sealed-box.html

3/4" mdf construction
double face (overkill on a small box like this imo)
1.3cf, 1.2cf loaded
16.5"L x 18.5"D x 16"H

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If I'm not happy and need to take up trunk space I may just opt for this...

Attachments

• HO110_W6v3_FLT_CA.jpg
    HO110_W6v3_FLT_CA.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 665

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
If you're willing to spend that amount, just get the jl stealth box for the trunk. Fits in the right side area of the trunk.

Also, the stealth box contains a 12, what you showed is a 10".

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well the install is done and I have to say I am rather happy. He was rather concerned with sub and where as it's a 500rms DVC it's wired at 2ohms and 1000watts going to it. So when I left I could barely hear the sub but turn it up a bit when I got home and now it pounds. Very happy with the footprint the box and amp have left which clears up room for a 6 channel in the wheel well of the truck for my mids/highs. I may search for a 750rms or higher sub with a mounting depth of 7" or less that is closer to the .87 box than this 1.15 Sundown.

Attachments

• eeee.jpg
    eeee.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 3333.jpg
    3333.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread