Subframe Connectors and levelling the car

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Hey guys, so I'm about to do some major back surgery on the car in the way of installing team z through the floor SFC's. I'm trying to get the thing perfectly level and a thought occurred to me.

if the car is empty (no drive train, interior, not even body harnesses), it already has external SFC's, and the doors all open and close perfectly am I worrying about this too much?

The level on the rear bulkhead reads about the same as the bumper supports and from below across the subframe connectors.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I say the more precautions the better. It will only help the preciseness of the install, even with the subframe connectors already installed. That only helps keep the car from bending in half and from compressing front to back. They dont help the car from twisting so the more level the better. Just my .02

shurur

Established Member
Have you alre already purchased the teamz sfc?
I am not sure how much you are gaining from all that surgery over a GW or Stifflers flsf.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I have and they are certainly a step up from what what I have in terms of rigidity but the other benefit I see is what I'll gain in ground/exhaust clearance (I'm running side pipes) and the underside of the car can be a lot cleaner. The floors on these cars are very thin so I don't see much difficulty in the way of installing them. I accidentally went through a couple spots when I was air chiseling out some of the sound deadening.

I've already got it stripped. I intend to seam weld several areas as well.

cleanint.jpg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
You may be the only person I know of that has used an air chisel to remove sound deadening material. I'm not judging. I appears to have worked for you, with the exception of your new drain holes.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I tried all the different ways. I'm going to be welding up so much stuff on this thing a couple extra beads won't mean anything :D

RJCarp2

Established Member
Try a needle scalar next time your are removing sound deadener. Worked well for me.

If you have a laser level that broadcasts a level line, use that to shim as much level as possible before welding. You may find it's as good as it will get right now, but it's great piece of mind.

Fanged03

Established Member
I'm installing Team Z TTF connectors right now. Get on amazon, EAZ-lift RV jacks, not for lifting but for leveling out, get a Wixey WR365 digital level. I set the wixey center of the seat bulkhead for side to side and on the rocker for front to back. Its a bit messy but best way to cut the floor is a cut off wheel on an angle grinder and an auto body saw. Just be easy with it or you will cut through your subframe. I'm documenting my install on YT since Team Z gives no guide/instructions, search UClkKS6TRtc5zPVcraaaxIpA.

As for sound deadening, I found best way is just a heat gun and scraper and lacquer thinner.

The big thing with the TTF connectors is if you install a cage, it all is based at the TTF connectors, instead of plates.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
For a car you will track, especially one that will have a cage, the TTF connectors are definitely the way to go.
Sorry no luck on help with install, but Dave at TeamZ built my Fox, so great choice on TeamZ.
-J

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
thanks guys, I'm not going full cage so I'm not really worried about the placement of the front outrigger. I'm actually considering cutting out the seat mount (temporarily of course) and putting it underneath that but I'm wondering if its meant to sort of box in the new frame rail to the body and the existing front section of frame.

I'll get some footage of my progress too. @Fanged03 your videos have been pretty helpful, seems like you're doing exactly what I'm doing except adding a cage. keep it up!

Users who are viewing this thread