Subframe Connector Clarification HELP PLEASE

James Paredes

Apparently the 1996-1998 Cobra's require a modification of "cutouts" to be performed in order to properly install full-length subframe connectors. I have been on all the various websites, American Muscle, Late Model Restoration, even Steeda's website. What I have yet to get answered is what subframe connectors are the best to get regarding the least amount of modifications? I do NOT plan on installing these myself and will take them to a local speed shop to be welded in but I'd rather purchase the right ones to begin with. Do all brands require cutting or modifications on a 1998 Cobra or is there a specific model or brand that is easiest? Seat bracket support or no seat bracket? Some have them and some don't. I'm getting confused that's for sure! Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you don't have to get the ones that cut up your car. there is a feeling that they are better and on a race track they probably are. Since I don't race my 04 and didn't want to cut it up, I got the Maximum Motorsports weld-in that, bolted to the front seat mounts. Then I had a custom matrix brace made with jacking rails. it worked well so I had the same set up put on my 95. they will work on your car as well if you want to go that way. Here are some pics for reference zzsubs1.jpg bassanifront.jpg bassanirear (Large).jpg

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Apparently the 1996-1998 Cobra's require a modification of "cutouts" to be performed in order to properly install full-length subframe connectors. I have been on all the various websites, American Muscle, Late Model Restoration, even Steeda's website. What I have yet to get answered is what subframe connectors are the best to get regarding the least amount of modifications? I do NOT plan on installing these myself and will take them to a local speed shop to be welded in but I'd rather purchase the right ones to begin with. Do all brands require cutting or modifications on a 1998 Cobra or is there a specific model or brand that is easiest? Seat bracket support or no seat bracket? Some have them and some don't. I'm getting confused that's for sure! Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I used steeda weld in with the seat bracket supports. I have a 98 Cobra Convertible, one of the best mods I could do for the body and frame rigidity. Had a local shop weld them in, no mods needed for the car, the only point of interest is that the car needs to be on a lift with all four tires supported (ramp) and level. (Suspension loaded)

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I went with MM on my 98 as well. Dramatic change.
Bottom line is, you want full length sfc, with the seat brace. Be sure to buy a weld in set too, not bolt in.

James Paredes

Appreciate all the input guys. I pulled the trigger on a Steeda set this afternoon with the seat braces that I'm going to have welded in. Looking forward to see how much better it drives. Did a set years ago on a Foxbody convertible and the difference was substantial. My 98 Cobra is a Coupe but I still expect the upgrade to be well worth it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jacking rails are highly recommended, for obvious reasons. You'll like the Steeda full-length rails and notice the increased stiffness of the body/frame. But you had a set on your Fox so you should already know to expect this on your Cobra.

cobra-boss

Established Member
The "cut out" they are talking about is on the transmisson cross member, not on the car itself. If you look at the cross member it wraps around the subframe and is bolted on. Not a big deal only takes a minute with the cut off wheel. It is only on the 1998 cobra.

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
The "cut out" they are talking about is on the transmisson cross member, not on the car itself. If you look at the cross member it wraps around the subframe and is bolted on. Not a big deal only takes a minute with the cut off wheel. It is only on the 1998 cobra.
Wow, I'll have to look at mine...didn't know that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96GT226410

Established Member
Isn't it on the 96 - 98 Cobras? Don't they all have the same crossmember?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread