Stuck in 1st gear thinking transmissions Fd

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Hey all long time member having some issues. Picked up a 03 cobra about a year ago. Dont drive it much, 3k miles in a year.
Yesterday coming home from dinner with the wife tried putting it in reverse and backing up and it was like I hit a wall. Shifter shifts into gear but car wont move back. Put car in first and pulled around to put car in front of house. Even if I put the car on 5th and release clutch it moves forward like it's in 1st. I put car in neutral turned off and tried to manually push car back but feels like its hitting a wall. I'm thinking it somehow got stuck in first gear. Any help would be great. I'm thinking I gotta get a new transmission

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it's probably not the transmission itself. difficulty getting into gear (esp first and reverse) is many times due to the cable being too loose.

try to put it in gear with the car off but key on. it will probably go into gear like butter, which means it's a clutch adjustment problem.

i bet you just need to tighten your cable. if you're still on the stock setup, there is a good writeup on here on how to tighten it.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Broken bearing retainer keeps vehicle in gear? Also I dont think you guys understand whats going on lol I think the car is stuck on 1st gear

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Broken bearing retainer keeps vehicle in gear? Also I dont think you guys understand whats going on lol I think the car is stuck on 1st gear
Broken bearing retainer causes some of the fork movement to be sideways instead of back and forth. Makes for a weird feeling clutch and hard to shift trans. Went through it on my buddies car.

The thought process they're giving you is there is pressure keeping the trans in gear. If the clutch doesn't release the trans may not come out of gear. You can try rocking the car to see if the trans will let go. Otherwise plan on pulling the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread