Struts for non-lowered car

XP900

Established Member
Yep! 2010 stock springs with stock 19" wheels. 2010's didn't even have a PP option, so this should be the same setup for all coupes. Ordered the ford performance strut mounts as well, so both will be going on at the same time.
Out of curiosity tell me how your front tires are wearing since you said they had worn spots....is it the insides of both front tires or something else?

einehund

Established Member
Out of curiosity tell me how your front tires are wearing since you said they had worn spots....is it the insides of both front tires or something else?
In the picture below, you can see the high/low pattern developing on the inboard block of tread. The inboard always wears quicker on my car anyway, even with alignment in spec, but this wear was different and causing my steering wheel to shake under braking and while in the 120+ range, basically any time there was extra force pushing the nose down.
20210706_072728.jpg

XP900

Established Member
Okay..thanks..not the same wear patterm I have right now.

einehund

Established Member
Okay..thanks..not the same wear patterm I have right now.
The 'normal' wear pattern i have is the inside rib of tread will be almost non-existent and the outer 2/3 of tread will still not be at the wear bars. I am lucky when i get 15k miles on the fronts. Had it aligned multiple times at multiple places and have been told it is in spec every time.

einehund

Established Member
That's somewhat the issued I had with new Michelin 4S..see this thread..hopefully I can resolve me issue...tires are too expensive to chew up for my street driving.

2007 - 2014 - Wore out a set of Michelin 4S already -...
Just read that thread now. Exactly my issue I've been having since I've owned the car (bought in 2012 with 17k miles). Stock everything front suspension wise. I even bought camber bolts to try and remedy the issue, but once i looked and their construction and how they worked, I never installed them as I am not easy on my car and it was an obvious half solution-half risk of introducing failure. Not worth it in my opinion. I have just dealt with this issue by buying tires. Like i said earlier, i get about 15k miles out of a set of fronts, and as my car is a 3 season daily, I end up replacing the fronts every 18 months or so. I just chalk it up as an operating cost. This is another reason I advocate for the continental tires, as their cost is almost $100 less per tire than the Michelin Sport 4S - their direct competition.

XP900

Established Member
Like they said in that link and from the Steeda site, if you hear a pop sound when backing out of the driveway with the wheels turned, it means the strut is moving and not staying in alignment. I hear it but I also have the stock strut mounts too which may be going bad. I think you ordered the newer Ford Performance replacement ones. I had them on order but then cancelled since I ordered the Steeda heavy duty mount. I noticed in their literature that they have you torque the four strut bolts down to 45 or 46 ft-lbs with their mount. The stock ones are only like 26 ft-lbs. If you try to go much over that amount you end up stripping the bolt threads. The Steeda also allows of a 1 degree camber change if needed. I am hoping these fix my strut pops and allow them to align per my specs - want to get 30K (Michelin rated) instead of my current sub 20ks in the fronts.

einehund

Established Member
Well, I've had the struts and strut mounts on for about 3 weeks now, so I think enough time to give an initial review. First, they feel a bit stiffer than the old struts. This is probably due to two factors: a) the old struts had 85xxx miles and were 12 years old! b) these are the OEM struts for the PP optioned cars, so valved a bit different than non-PP cars. For 95% of my driving, I don't really notice any more or less harshness, but that 5% is quite noticeable. On rougher roads, or on expansion joints/points on a concrete interstate, the struts make their presence felt when my NGauge mount seems to want to pop right off the windshield and it is definately a jolt through the seat.

Would I do this again? Yes. The price point and known reliability factor that comes with OEM parts makes this worth the slight jolts of added harshness. The stiffness is actually a positive in the feedback I get through the steering wheel on highway on and off ramps.

As a different note: This has not fixed the vibration that comes through the steering wheel. The shop that did the struts said the rotors (EBC slotted rotors, less than 1 year and less than 10k miles) were warped. I doubted this but picked up a set of blank rotors. No change to the vibration that comes on, sometimes severely, upon braking. The vibration is not in the pedal, but only the steering wheel. As I have now changed the strut mounts, struts, brake rotors and tires, and the vibration is still there, I am really a bit stumped to the cause. I asked the shop who did the struts and alignment to go over the entire front suspension but I don't know if they did, as they didn't say they noticed anything. Any ideas? Anyone had this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread